PDA

View Full Version : For the winter enthusiast......

Donziweasel
01-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Decided to finally go snowmobiling yesterday and try out my new air box and NOS system. Been fighting a rich sled that was bogging bad last year. Adjusted my EFI dozens of times and just could not get it to run right. Finally figured out that the air intake is the same as the M-5, half the CC's of my engine. It was basically just enough air to make it run in stock 162 hp form, but not near enough air with my mods at 195 hp.

Anyway, the sun came out, went deep in the backcountry and found some small hills less than an angle of 35 degrees that passed out avalanche test. Then came my first climb. MAN! It climbed better than it ever has before! The amount of low end torque was amazing. I stood it up on the track and went up and over anything I climbed. The snow was SO deep, even the small stuff we were riding was a challenge.

I am sick, fighting a torn rotator cuff, and having major arthritis in my right hand due to the cut a year and a half ago. Rode until I was hurtin' and then come on home with a smile on my face.

Although I had the itch to try the sled out on the big stuff, the snowpack is still too unstable. Teton CO released a statement for the first time in history stating response times for Search and Rescue will be delayed and might not happen at all if the area is deemed unsafe. S and R has never not responded to a call since its formation. That is how serious the backcountry is right now.

It was great to see the sun, get some exercise, and enjoy the backcountry.:)

Can't wait for the snowpack to stabilize, if it ever does, so I can go hit the big stuff...........:wink:

Tango, for us winter folk, this is as good as a run from Ponte Vedra to SA! LOL

breeze400
01-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Sound like fun. What sled do you run? My sleding days have long been gone. My last sled was an 80 eltigray. Got to work all winter to have money for gas for the boat! LOL My old freind Richie wants me to buy anoughter sled but, Just can't get into getting cold anymore!

Sam

Conquistador_del_mar
01-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Good lord! As I read your post, your temperature there is -25F. What is the record low temperature there? Certainly you can't go out snowmobiling when it is that cold - right? Here in north Texas, we reached 80F yesterday which is unusually high - maybe a record for the date. Bill

Donziweasel
01-04-2009, 10:02 AM
I run a modified Arctic Cat M-1000.

Bill, I am crazy, but not crazy enough to go out today! It was only in the lower 20's yesterday.

JH's lowest recorded temp was -63, but that was before I moved here in 1994. Coldest I have seen is -43, with a wind chill of -75. BRRRRRRR.........:wink:

CHACHI
01-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Coldest I ever snowmobiled was -35 in Pittsburg NH.

Had a Ski Doo MXZ with a 583 cc twin.

Primed the engine with 4 or so pumps, pulled the starter rope for all it was worth, rope came out 8 or so inches and then pulled right out of my hand.
After the second pull, I had to take my jacket off. I was overheating.

Finally got the thing running.

With electric hand/thumb warmers and "Hippo Hands", riding a brisk pace in the woods you can get too warm in sub zero temps. Just be very careful when you stop, you can cool down very quickly.

Oh yeah, at -35, the engine ran crisp.

Ken

Conquistador_del_mar
01-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Coldest I ever snowmobiled was -35 in Pittsburg NH.

Had a Ski Doo MXZ with a 583 cc twin.

Primed the engine with 4 or so pumps, pulled the starter rope for all it was worth, rope came out 8 or so inches and then pulled right out of my hand.
After the second pull, I had to take my jacket off. I was overheating.

Finally got the thing running.

With electric hand/thumb warmers and "Hippo Hands", riding a brisk pace in the woods you can get too warm in sub zero temps. Just be very careful when you stop, you can cool down very quickly.

Oh yeah, at -35, the engine ran crisp.

Ken

How do you protect your skin and eyes when it is that cold and running at considerable speeds? I remember getting a glaze in my vision once when skiing in Colorado. It dawned on me that my eyes were freezing with the vented goggles! Bill

Donziweasel
01-04-2009, 03:19 PM
I have been out at some cold temps, especailly years ago when I was a snowmobile guide in Yellowstone. Main thing is to use snowmobiling gear, not ski gear. Designed differently and keeps you warm, or as close as you can get to warm running 45 mph at -35. :wink: Them handlebar and thumb warmers are worth a 1,000,000.00 on those days.:bonk:

Was out when it was real cold giving a snowmobile tour, must have been around -30 in 1994 or 1995. Jumped up on the snowmobile trailer to give my operation and safety speech to all my clients. Smiled and my lip cracked from the cold. Was sitting there in front of 9 people bleeding like a stuck pig about to head into Yellowstone. It was a long day.

zelatore
01-04-2009, 03:38 PM
I have been out at some cold temps, especailly years ago when I was a snowmobile guide in Yellowstone. Main thing is to use snowmobiling gear, not ski gear. Designed differently and keeps you warm, or as close as you can get to warm running 45 mph at -35. :wink: Them handlebar and thumb warmers are worth a 1,000,000.00 on those days.:bonk:
Was out when it was real cold giving a snowmobile tour, must have been around -30 in 1994 or 1995. Jumped up on the snowmobile trailer to give my operation and safety speech to all my clients. Smiled and my lip cracked from the cold. Was sitting there in front of 9 people bleeding like a stuck pig about to head into Yellowstone. It was a long day.

Nice, nothing says 'Trust me, I know what I'm doing' like blood running down your face!

I'm surprised heated grips aren't standard equipment on all sleds - heck, I've been putting them on my street bikes for years now and can't live without 'em.

Donziweasel
01-04-2009, 03:57 PM
They are. Back then they all had them, but they broke alot.

Very sick today, paying for yesterday.

It also won't break -5 as a high today. Glad I got out before it got cold and I got sick!