PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove decal without damage

Ed Donnelly
01-04-2009, 08:23 AM
This is a very rare decal and would like to reuse it
Is there a way to do this??????......Ed

olredalert
01-04-2009, 08:30 AM
------Ed,,, If its a vinyl decal I would try some amount of heat from the bottom. Not a torch or anything crazy, just heat-gun. Get a fresh razor and get it under an edge and pull up enough to get your fingers under. Then, while still applying some heat pull straight up slowly.I dont have a good feeling for your success, but thats the best I can offer..........Bill S

onesubdrvr
01-04-2009, 08:31 AM
This is a very rare decal and would like to reuse it
Is there a way to do this??????......Ed
Ed,

What kind of decal? is it one of the water soluable ones or a vinyl "sticker"?

Either way, it may be easier to reproduce it,....

Wayne

osur866
01-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Heat lamp for about 15-20 min. should work. Steve

Carl C
01-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Yup, heat. Just a hair drier will do it then use a razor blade to work a corner loose. slowly remove it as you heat it. If you're lucky the glue will stay on the sticker. I do this all the time in my business.

Ed Donnelly
01-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the speedy reply guys.

Poodle; Will cost too much to ship the valve cover to you, to lay out in the sun for me:shades:

Will try the heat gun today

Wayne keeping your # handy.............Ed

DonziJon
01-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Wayne is right: If it's a vinyl sticker it Will come off with heat..heat gun..hair dryer, etc but it will shrink, shrival, and be unusable. Sorry. John

MOP
01-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Maybe you can get some ideas from one or more of these decal sellers in the link below.

http://www.oztion.com.au/Automotive/Boat-Parts-Accessories/Decals-Stickers/auctions/4044.aspx

Ed Donnelly
01-04-2009, 08:51 PM
I've already got something that is shrunk, wrinkled and unusable.
Don't need 2. Wayne is on top of this as we speak..
Again thanks to all ..........Ed

SilverBack
01-04-2009, 11:33 PM

LMAO.....There is not much to say after that....good luck!!!

Ghost
01-05-2009, 05:18 AM

It was borderline TMI to begin with, but hearing that "Wayne is on top of it" definitely pushes it over. :)

Carl C
01-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Use only mild heat, not a heat gun. If it is stubborn then drip mineral spirits behind it as you slowly peal it off. Then it will not be shrunk or shriveled and will be totally usable.:yippie::flash:

MOP
01-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Ed what is the origin of the decal?

onesubdrvr
01-06-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm just guessing, but there was a Plymouth (?) "Rapid Transit" Theme in the 60's or 70's,..... but I never found a matching decal to this with that theme

Wayne

Ed Donnelly
01-06-2009, 11:39 PM
My engine builder is Rapid Enterprises and Ralph built a killer engine for a guy
who worked for the TTC (Toronto TRANSIT Corporation)
Hence the name... Rapid Transit.............Ed

Marlin275
01-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Ronsonol Lighter Fuel will cut most any adhesive and remove the residue.
Let it soak in for minutes then start pulling the edge up sloooooooooowly.
Just removed a wall of vinyl graphics this way, client was happy!

It will not harm your decal !

Cheap and I have yet to see it harm any surface.
Most 7-11 stores.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29355&d=1180970895

joseph m. hahnl
01-08-2009, 06:08 PM
WD-40 will release the adhesive and will not damage the sticker although you will need to reapply adhesive to re stick it.

WD-40 is the best way to get rid of adhesive from labels and stickers

It knocks the socks off that Goo Be Gone stuff

DonziJon
01-08-2009, 06:24 PM
WD-40 will release the adhesive and will not damage the sticker although you will need to reapply adhesive to re stick it.

WD-40 is the best way to get rid of adhesive from labels and stickers

It knocks the socks off that Goo Be Gone stuff

DITTO: However: You will NOT be able to replicate the original adhesive for reaplication. Period. John

CHACHI
01-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Mr. Donnelly, if you have removed the decal and need to restick it, please give me a yell.

Ken

Marlin275
01-08-2009, 07:46 PM
DITTO: However: You will NOT be able to replicate the original adhesive for reaplication. Period. John

You could use new adhesive
3M™ Super 77 Spray Adhesive.
The original, professional grade aerosol adhesive for multi-purpose, extra-high coverage.
Bonds virtually any material, from paper, cardboard, fabric and cushion foam to plastic, metal, wood and much more.
or
3M™ Hi-Tack Spray Adhesive 76
Quick-Tacking, Fast Strength Buildup. Aerosol, for Bonding Hard to Hold Materials Like Polyethylene and Polypropylene. SBR Rubber, Fabric and Felt.
It can bond cardboard, cork, foil, and many plastics to themselves and to wood, metal, glass, and other surfaces.

Ed Donnelly
01-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Mr. Ciocci; Been a little too busy saving cats and dogs lives to tackle the decal,,,,but,,,,will keep you in mind........Ed:shades:

MOP
01-09-2009, 06:59 PM
To me it looks like a water applique decal, sorry to say it may be a self destruct thing.