PDA

View Full Version : Chris Craft 312 Scorpion

Conquistador_del_mar
01-03-2009, 12:11 PM
I couldn't resist this one. What do you think? Sounds like the one tranny needs repair and it needs upholstery and some TLC. The seller just spent over $9000 on transom and other work. Bill

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250348521850&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=

olredalert
01-03-2009, 04:41 PM
------Bill,,,I have a couple of Merc/TRS electric shift transmissions if thats what the boat needs. Even have one Merc electric shift delete kit. Trans's are good and I basicly want them out of my way. PM me if interested........Bill S

Conquistador_del_mar
01-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Bill,
Thanks - I will contact you once I diagnose the trannies. Bill

superhatz
01-03-2009, 10:52 PM
When are ya going to do the Mag.?....:)

Conquistador_del_mar
01-04-2009, 12:36 AM
Aaron,
I want to get started on the Magnum this month. My 1971 Donzi is all but waiting for my upholsterer to finish the seating, so I can start soon. I actually bought the 32' Scorpion to get the triple axle trailer with the electric winch (exchange it for the double axle Float On under the Magnum) and make some extra money off the sale of the Scorpion this Spring after I get it upholstered and running right. It should bring a $5000 or so net profit - nice boat! :crossfing:. Here's the kicker; I actually don't have any stalls available right now, but I will get creative and find a way to fit everything. Bill

MOP
01-04-2009, 10:13 AM
If you are buying to use it there were hull problems during the early years, I did a quick one shot search and came up with this post on Speed Wake. There was quite a flap back in the early 80's so many have forgotten!

http://www.speedwake.com/upload/showthread.php?postid=118887

Phil

HIGH LIFE
01-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Bill, In my experience a triple axle always beats up the center tire on tight turns, but with u being in Texas you must have more room to menuver the I have up here in Mass. mostly roads are originally cow paths...Ha Ha. I have my MAGNUM Sedan on a 8000 # tanden w/torsion bar axles,bunk style, tows great @ 70mph. Michael "HIGH LIFE"

Conquistador_del_mar
01-04-2009, 11:49 AM
If you are buying to use it there were hull problems during the early years, I did a quick one shot search and came up with this post on Speed Wake. There was quite a flap back in the early 80's so many have forgotten!

Phil

Phil,
Thanks for the link. Apparently some of the hulls had structural problems, but it sounds like those were in racing or ocean use. When I get down this week to consumate the purchase, I will be checking out the structural components along with the engines. Most likely, the boat would have already shown problems if they existed, but I will check it out thoroughly. This CC312 will probably only run around 60MPH with the twin 330HP BB 454s. Bill

Bill, In my experience a triple axle always beats up the center tire on tight turns, but with u being in Texas you must have more room to menuver the I have up here in Mass. mostly roads are originally cow paths...Ha Ha. I have my MAGNUM Sedan on a 8000 # tanden w/torsion bar axles,bunk style, tows great @ 70mph. Michael "HIGH LIFE"

Yep, those triple axles really put the tires in a bind in tight turns. When I built my boat storage facility 14 years ago, I used the chip and seal method of paving and left loose red granite chips on the surface so the trailers could slip around. It has worked very well. I mostly like the triples so I can keep running if I have to remove a wheel due to a bad bearing or tire. I think the CC 312 will be fine on the tandem Float On if only used for occasional runs to the boat ramp which is 1 mile from my facility. From what I could find out, the CC 312 weighs in at around 7300lbs which is quite a bit more than the Magnum 27 sport. Thanks, Bill

The picture below is a test to see if I can enter a Photobucket picture. It works! lol

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj316/Conquistador_del_mar/HighlanderStoragefromabove-1997.jpg

Conquistador_del_mar
01-07-2009, 10:58 PM

Phil

Just a follow up on the 312. I went down to look at the boat this afternoon to consumate the deal. The transom and port stringer were bad. There were many dock rash dings and other disappointments. Even though the seller was willing to go down on the price, I backed out (needless to say). He seemed genuinely appreciative that I spent the time to tell him about the problems, and that he needed to disclose them to any potential buyer to keep himself out of a potential lawsuit down the road. Bill

MOP
01-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Just a follow up on the 312. I went down to look at the boat this afternoon to consumate the deal. The transom and port stringer were bad. There were many dock rash dings and other disappointments. Even though the seller was willing to go down on the price, I backed out (needless to say). He seemed genuinely appreciative that I spent the time to tell him about the problems, and that he needed to disclose them to any potential buyer to keep himself out of a potential lawsuit down the road. Bill

Glad I was able to give you some helpful input.

Phil