PDA

View Full Version : alpha ss retro to a gen II

mike o
01-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Happy new year all. Can Anybody explain what is exactly involved in the modifications to bolt an alpha ss to a gen II . Thanks, Michael

Planetwarmer
01-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Happy new year all. Can Anybody explain what is exactly involved in the modifications to bolt an alpha ss to a gen II . Thanks, Michael

JB Weld and a hammer. If that doesn't work, duct tape. If neither of those work, use bailing wire.

If that doesn't work, you don't know what you are doing.

gcarter
01-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Rootsy did it several years ago.
I think the biggest issue is the trim rams.

mike o
01-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Rootsy did it several years ago.
I think the biggest issue is the trim rams. Thanks George. Ive read Rootsy posts like this one. Im not sure how he went about it.http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54061&highlight=alpha+ss

gcarter
01-03-2009, 07:23 AM
Thanks George. Ive read Rootsy posts like this one. Im not sure how he went about it.http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54061&highlight=alpha+ss
I believe if you have a genuine SS, you look for a Gen I bell housing. I'm not positive, but I think they bolt into a Gen II gimbal ring. The SS will bolt onto the Gen I bell housing w/a Gen I shift cable change.
Gen I bell housings are available everywhere for peanuts. In fact, I have an entire Pre Alpha gimbal assy. for $100.00 if anyone wants it. Structurally, it's identical to a Gen I.
There's a difference in the trim cylinders.....it may be the cast angles at the ends but I can't remember what it is.

mike o
01-03-2009, 01:27 PM
I believe if you have a genuine SS, you look for a Gen I bell housing. I'm not positive, but I think they bolt into a Gen II gimbal ring. The SS will bolt onto the Gen I bell housing w/a Gen I shift cable change.
Gen I bell housings are available everywhere for peanuts. In fact, I have an entire Pre Alpha gimbal assy. for $100.00 if anyone wants it. Structurally, it's identical to a Gen I.
There's a difference in the trim cylinders.....it may be the cast angles at the ends but I can't remember what it is.... Id like to buy a complete alpha ss and do what it take to bolt to a gen II. I far as I understand (possibly incorrectly) I need the alpha one bell housing , not sure if they interchange...the alpha I trim cylinders because of clearance issues. Id like to go down this road with the 4.3 v6 16 instead of repower to a v8, depending on the possiability and the cost to convert the ss. Once the ss is converted by whoever, I can just bolt it on.

BigGrizzly
01-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Rootsy did a considerable amount of machine work. It is anything but bolt on. BTW It broke, right after I clocked him at 80.9. We need to see more of him at events.

ACrooks69
01-15-2009, 10:23 PM
What you need is my gen II modded bellhousing and lengthened and widened trim rams to make it all slap together nicely. Straight up.