PDA

View Full Version : 2010 GT500 Mustang

roadtrip se
01-02-2009, 03:46 PM
More juice, new rims and tires, awesome styling, better interiors, and Grabber Blue. What's not to like? Anybody looking for a fresh Inferno Red SRT8 300?

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/01/detroit-preview-2010-ford-shelby-gt500-bites-back/

chappy
01-02-2009, 04:02 PM
540hp / 510lbs. ft.

:cool:

BUIZILLA
01-02-2009, 04:10 PM
i'm liking that grey and silver :eek:

:yes: :cool: :shades: :cool!:

zelatore
01-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Grabber Blue! Score!!:yes:

Nearly 4000 lbs - not such a score! :eek:

roadtrip se
01-02-2009, 10:59 PM
I have driven this car in its current trim and it is an absolute visceral punch to the adrenal gland.

In terms of weight and packaging, I bet it will compete very nicely with the Camaro and Challenger of similar ilk.

Zel, if I remember right, you are a Bavarian fan. Not that these cars will ever appeal to the same customer base, the M3 is 3700 pounds in comparison to the GT500 at 3900 pounds. So even compared to the gold standard of Germany, the weight difference isn't significant. I would take the torque with the weight, combined with the wow factor of the Pony over the M, but that is just me and my rust belt upbringing coming through.

zelatore
01-02-2009, 11:34 PM
I have driven this car in its current trim and it is an absolute visceral punch to the adrenal gland.
In terms of weight and packaging, I bet it will compete very nicely with the Camaro and Challenger of similar ilk.
Zel, if I remember right, you are a Bavarian fan. Not that these cars will ever appeal to the same customer base, the M3 is 3700 pounds in comparison to the GT500 at 3900 pounds. So even compared to the gold standard of Germany, the weight difference isn't significant. I would take the torque with the weight, combined with the wow factor of the Pony over the M, but that is just me and my rust belt upbringing coming through.

Rust belt upbringing? I may live in CA now, but I was born and raised in southern Indiana. Heck, as a senior in high school I bought a yellow bondo-special '71 Mach 1 and thought I was the coolest thing around.

I haven't driven the latest generation of Mustangs, but I did consider one (briefly) a couple years ago. The problem was it felt cheap and unrefined. That's great for blasting around every once in a while, but to live with day to day it didn't really feel right. It did make me feel like a teenager again...every stop sign was an excuse to paint stripes on the pavement. As a second car, maybe, but not as an every-day car, especially since she has to drive it a lot.

I was also somewhat shocked at how expensive they had became. I figured $30K should buy a loaded car, but seems like I was a good $5K too low. For a Mustang?? I like 'em, but not that much.

I do think it will compete well against it's targets of the Camero and Challenger. I'd take the Mustang over either of them (not a hard choice, I could never own a Camero anyway...too much Ford upbringing)

And in case you're wondering, I think my 335 is a bit of a pig as well. I know, I know, everything is heavy these days thanks to safety regs and the increasing demand for comfort and convenience features, but I still can't help but wish for less weight.

gold-n-rod
01-03-2009, 06:51 AM
I do think it will compete well against it's targets of the Camero and Challenger. I'd take the Mustang over either of them (not a hard choice, I could never own a Camero anyway....
They won't let you buy a Camaro anyway..... you didn't pass the spelling test!!!!!!
:wink:

zelatore
01-03-2009, 09:54 AM
They won't let you buy a Camaro anyway..... you didn't pass the spelling test!!!!!!
:wink:

Oh crap.......when Ghost sees this I'm in for it after I busted him for mis-spelling Alfa Romeo.

I did mention I grew up Ford, right? :lookaroun:

Ed Donnelly
01-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Don; Don't feel bad. Some people think a Pantera is a boat:nilly: ...Ed

zelatore
01-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Don; Don't feel bad. Some people think a Pantera is a boat:nilly: ...Ed

Hey, I've seen a lot more land-based Panteras than water-based ones. In fact, I've never seen the boat variety - there are even fewer of them here on the west coast than there are Donzis!

CHACHI
01-03-2009, 11:00 AM
i'm liking that grey and silver :eek:

:yes: :cool: :shades: :cool!:

Any color....
Ken

Ghost
01-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Z, apart from deliberately typing "spoyler" in my follow up, I've worked oh so hard to resist the temptation ever since the not-so notorious "spider/spyder" post. So far so good. :)

It's funny how people are wired up. I can make some appalling and weird mistakes typing that I would never make in a million years when writing. Something about the neural machinery and how it gets programmed I think, especially when we are very young.

(I have to note that ever since it came up, I have seen multiple ads for "spyders", as well as a show on the Speed channel which was about several cars, including the Alfa "Spyder." Further, I know that when I bought mine, it was listed as a "Spyder" and I strongly suspect the legal title was for a "Spyder.")

None of which makes it any less incorrect, and I am entirely with you when you cringe or even lash out in frustration when people get it wrong. Since you set me straight (which I appreciate because I just flat didn't know better), I see it there are enough examples that it must be a neverending torment.

Speaking of which, if I had some spare cash right now, I'd consider picking up a Dewetto or a Straddle, but in the interest of buying American I'll probably have to settle for an I-rock.

Okay, I'm done hijacking.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled GT500 programming...

DONZIZEE22
01-03-2009, 12:10 PM
With a different pulley, intake and tune these cars will be capable of competing with the new corvette Z06 or maybe even the ZR-1. Forget about the Camaro and Challenger! But give the ZR-1 a few of the same mods and there will be no comparison between the cars.

roadtrip se
01-04-2009, 03:08 PM
I saw a few test mules coming down Milford Road from the GM Testing grounds last fall. The car sounds completely sinister and doesn't look very different from a stock Vette. Quite the sleeper, if there is such a thing with a Vette.

I hate to say it, but I think this is going to be the golden age for muscle cars,
so grab your flavor while you can... even if it is a Spyder...

The Hedgehog
01-04-2009, 03:32 PM
I hope that we are not getting ready to go through one of those eras where American Muscle cars start to suck. You know like in the mid 70's. It took a long time before the USA delivered good hp after that. I remember when I was a junior in high school and the hot new Mustang delivered 225hp and that was a long way up from the 150 a few years earlier. It did make it nice for me since my '66 was pushing around 300 and the only competition was a Grand National.

I am glad to hear that the new 500 and Vette are still cool.

Lenny
01-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Todd, a friend bought the GT500 last year. Fabulous car. VERY fast. Upon getting it he had it shipped to Carrol Shelby to have him sign the Glove Box and a Mattel or something "model" of the car in blue. The Model and the car basically just go to local small town shows for looky loo's, but you can rest assured, that he will buy this one as well and continue in a similar fashion. The blue is fabulous.

I wonder why we do NOT see blue or orange X-18's and 18's with flat black stripes around with folks like Pearson in our midst ???

hmmm ;)

Air 22
01-05-2009, 07:12 AM
More juice, new rims and tires, awesome styling, better interiors, and Grabber Blue. What's not to like? Anybody looking for a fresh Inferno Red SRT8 300?
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/01/detroit-preview-2010-ford-shelby-gt500-bites-back/

Red you say??....hmmmmmm:) How many miles?

roadtrip se
01-05-2009, 09:03 AM
2007 with 2700 miles. All options. And yes, it is very, very red!

Air 22
01-05-2009, 09:18 AM
2007 with 2700 miles. All options. And yes, it is very, very red!

PM me a number...:wink: