PDA

View Full Version : Small outboard help-Yam 25hp & JohnRude 4hp

handfulz28
01-02-2009, 01:01 PM
So I finally hung these two on a sawhorse yesterday to see what it'll take to get them running. On the Evinrude 4hp it seems the pull start rewind coil has turned itself into a useless slinky, and the shift lever isn't letting it find neutral. Can I start it in gear? Can I just rig up a pull rope before I go looking for a new rewind coil?

On the Yam 25hp it looks like the external throttle lever/linkage is broken, and there's missing hardware to connect the shift cable to the external link arm. Of course I don't have any controls or cables or anything yet. Can I get this motor to run with just a battery, fuel and water? It's got electric start w/pull rope but otherwise looks set up for remote steering and controls.

And no, I have no boat(s) to use these on. I just want to see if I can get them running and sell 'em.

Thanks,
Michael

fasttrucker
01-03-2009, 12:14 PM
So I finally hung these two on a sawhorse yesterday to see what it'll take to get them running. On the Evinrude 4hp it seems the pull start rewind coil has turned itself into a useless slinky, and the shift lever isn't letting it find neutral. Can I start it in gear? Can I just rig up a pull rope before I go looking for a new rewind coil?

On the Yam 25hp it looks like the external throttle lever/linkage is broken, and there's missing hardware to connect the shift cable to the external link arm. Of course I don't have any controls or cables or anything yet. Can I get this motor to run with just a battery, fuel and water? It's got electric start w/pull rope but otherwise looks set up for remote steering and controls.

And no, I have no boat(s) to use these on. I just want to see if I can get them running and sell 'em.

Thanks,h....MichaelLet me know how the 25 turns out,I might buy it from you cheap.I mean Iam cheap........

Last Real Texan
01-03-2009, 12:29 PM

Thanks,
Michael

I see you are getting some aux power together for those of us that may be busting drives at AOTH this year, that way we can pull em out of the cabin and avoid the tow. Not sure what would be more embarrasing , a tow or the looks we would get with a 4 hp Johnyrude puttering back to the dock....Hmmmmm what to do.

I wish I had some more insight to this but I had a 4 hp on my first john boat and had to coil the rope everytime to start it, not a big deal but hey I was only 6 years old at the time. I would go with that before I started looking for the rewind coil unit. On the starting in gear thing...no problem just remember that it is in gear and make sure you are sitting down when pulling to start..even 4 hp can pitch you out if you are not ready for it and forget it is in gear.

Tex

handfulz28
01-03-2009, 01:23 PM
make sure you are sitting down when pulling to start

Ya' know, that's one of those things that would be overlooked on that first outing....note to self: keep it tied tight to the dock on first start :lifeprese: I think if you get past the strange looks of initally loading the boat with the 4hp, everything past that is bearable. :shades: Too bad the Alpha One Gen 1 I've got is a 1.84 ratio. 4 cylinder I suppose?

I've got to pull serial numbers and see what vintages I'm dealiing with and then scour for parts. A pull rope should be cheap enough at the lawn equipment department. Hmmm....if I can actually wind up a weedeater spool with two lines, I wonder if I could fix the slinky coil...:bonk: