PDA

View Full Version : the dry spell is almost over!

zelatore
01-01-2009, 03:00 PM
January 3, 2009 - Anaheim CA - Angel Stadium

'Real' sports (as in motorsports) returns this weekend!

Supercross is back to get all us gearheads through the winter until the other series get in gear for '09.

Should be interesting since both Reed and Stewart changed teams over the off-season.

Still, you'd have to be a fool to bet against Stewart. Assuming he can stay on the bike, anyway.

zelatore
01-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Hmmmm....no supercross fans here?

Excellent racing in both 250 and 450, with some big surprises and down to the last lap action.

Speed ran 3.5 hrs live last night, and they're re-running the individual races today.

And if you had money on the race winner, you probably lost it...

CHACHI
01-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Don, it's not that I am not a fan of Supercross, I just like the outdoor stuff better.
I realize that the dollars just flock to Supercross so I guess the Marketing dept did their job and did it quite well.
Indoors, weather proof, the noise, smells, it just works very very well for TV.

I was brought up watching Carlsbad, Pepperell,etc, tracks that were the "lay of the land".

I realize that Daytona runs it's Supercross outdoors, but it is now under lights because of a change of venue at the track.

I guess I enjoy Supercross over Arenacross though.

My vote is still out on Endurocross.

Ken

zelatore
01-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Outdoor stuff is probably the better 'sport' if for no other reason that you have natural terrain. Supercross is the better 'show', and as such has gotten all the marketing dollars and the big crowds.

I'm not a huge fan, but I do tivo every race.

When Stewart got out to the lead early I figured 'that's it, game over'. Then...holy crap! Reed caught and passed him! Nobody passes Stewart!

I think the fast part of the track may have helped Reed. Nobody can touch James over technical whoops. I still haven't heard what happened to him (missed shift?) that caused the accident, but I suspect that if he hadn't gone down he'd have won.

Interesting to note that Stewart is hands-down the fastest guy in the artificial world of supercross, but he's not as good outdoors. He used to be able to run down Carmichael half the time indoors, but outdoors he couldn't touch him.

I'm still having trouble sorting out the new team/rider combos. It's hard to look for a #7 in anything but green.

CHACHI
01-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Went to an outdoor national at Broome-Tioga and watched Stewart chase Carmichael and Carmichael chase Stewart for the whole Moto. They were never more than 6 bikes apart, in the end it was Carmichael by a half a bike. Just spectacular racing.

Ken