PDA

View Full Version : the winter classic the way the game was meant

mattyboy
01-01-2009, 11:49 AM
to be played outdoors in the cold

a battle of the central wings and blackhawks hopefully the weather will be brutal but the ice will be better than it was last year in buffalo
and for you non hockey fans the blackhawks are a team not a drive ;)

Boxy
tough start for the sens, we started off slow but have worked up to 2nd in the division and 4th in the conference hopefully our goaltending will hold out

Go flyers

olredalert
01-01-2009, 12:08 PM
------Matty,,,If the Redwings play like they did two days ago in Detroit against the Hawks, this will be a short day. Cant wait for the game to start. Im typing and watching the screen now!!!...........Bill S

mattyboy
01-01-2009, 12:27 PM
I love the throw back uniforms,

nice to see a sports broadcast that doesn't cut away for the playing of the anthems

nice job nbc

packed house nice to see

Carl C
01-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Yupper, had to rush home from up north. The cold air should make good hard ice. gotta go, game's on.

gcarter
01-01-2009, 12:46 PM
What's this talk of ice????????? :confused:

I'm in the shop w/both 12' doors open trying to lay glass as fast as I can before it kicks. :yes:

Sweating like a pig too. :frown:

zelatore
01-01-2009, 02:16 PM
I don't follow Hockey, but rumor has it we've got a team here in the bay area.

I hear they've played against some of those guys already this season....

(where's that stirring the pot smilie?)

boxy
01-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Nobody does a US National anthem like Chicago....

Detroit's starting goalie, Ty Conklin has played in all outdoor games.

Matty, I wonder if NBC is just using CBC's video feed with there own announcers?

boxy
01-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Just switched back and forth, same feed, but NBC is about 4 seconds behind.

Tony
01-01-2009, 03:01 PM
I agree, the throwback uni's are awesome!

Blackhawks jumped out to a 3-1 lead until Detroit scored 5 unanswered to make it 6-3, then Chicago nets a last second goal for a 6-4 final.

The Wings are again looking good this year, the addition of Hossa was genius. As I predict just about every year...The Stanley Cup will be making a return to Hockeytown this spring!

:beer:

Tony
01-01-2009, 03:05 PM
------Matty,,,If the Redwings play like they did two days ago in Detroit against the Hawks, this will be a short day. Cant wait for the game to start. Im typing and watching the screen now!!!...........Bill S

That was a great game! Chippy and physical, with a dominant 4-0 Red Wings victory.
When they play like that they are unbeatable.

:beer:

roadtrip se
01-01-2009, 04:15 PM
and for you non hockey fans the blackhawks are a team not a drive ;)

who couldn't identify Alan Jackson a couple of weeks back.

Geesh.

Would like to have been there.

mattyboy
01-01-2009, 04:39 PM
who couldn't identify Alan Jackson a couple of weeks back.
Geesh.
Would like to have been there.

alan jackson isn't he the guy who plays left wing on the 2nd line for the columbus blue jackets

mattyboy
01-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Yupper, had to rush home from up north. The cold air should make good hard ice. gotta go, game's on.

Carl,
buffalo was cold enough to make hard ice they just didn't count on the crown on the football field.
a football field has a crown running length wise right thru it at mid field to help drain water off the playing surface towards the side lines
last year one end of the ice sunk on the low side of the crown

that's why they played on a baseball field this year wish it could have been at old yankee stadium like was planed but fell thru

I got a 9 mile piece of ice at the end of the block they could have used ;)

boxy
01-01-2009, 05:02 PM
It actually warmer in Chicago today than it was yesterday. It was almost too cold yesterday, the ice was chipping off in sheets, today was perfect.

roadtrip se
01-02-2009, 09:42 AM
alan jackson isn't he the guy who plays left wing on the 2nd line for the columbus blue jackets

I hear that he has requested a trade to Nashville, so he can play closer to home.

boxy
01-02-2009, 10:49 AM
I hear that he has requested a trade to Nashville, so he can play closer to home.
I thought most of those Country guys played pretty close to home :yes: