PDA

View Full Version : Engine and drive valuation

Conquistador_del_mar
12-31-2008, 10:28 AM
I have an opportunity to buy a 540CID closed system cooled 605HP complete engine with 50 hours on it and running perfect according to the seller. The only particulars the seller could tell me were 8qt pan, Eagle rods and crank, Holley 850CFM carb, Edelbrock aluminum heads, pump gas, Gil manifolds, and custom tail pipe risers. This is a dynoed built engine by a very good engine builder, but the seller does not know that much about what all went into the engine. I would also be getting an almost new complete Bravo transom assembly, but a 1989 or so Bravo One drive with 600 hours needing a rebuilt lower unit. I know that with so little information, it is impossible to make a very precise valuation, but I was hoping for some ballpark valuations from some of you guys who are more used to what these type engine packages might be worth. I mostly need the low end valuations, but anything you can offer would help. Here are a few pictures. Bill

MDonziM
01-01-2009, 09:13 AM
I have an opportunity to buy a 540CID closed system cooled 605HP complete engine with 50 hours on it and running perfect according to the seller. The only particulars the seller could tell me were 8qt pan, Eagle rods and crank, Holley 850CFM carb, Edelbrock aluminum heads, pump gas, Gil manifolds, and custom tail pipe risers. This is a dynoed built engine by a very good engine builder, but the seller does not know that much about what all went into the engine. I would also be getting an almost new complete Bravo transom assembly, but a 1989 or so Bravo One drive with 600 hours needing a rebuilt lower unit. I know that with so little information, it is impossible to make a very precise valuation, but I was hoping for some ballpark valuations from some of you guys who are more used to what these type engine packages might be worth. I mostly need the low end valuations, but anything you can offer would help. Here are a few pictures. Bill

I'll hazard a guess. I'd put the engine at about 9k but its the "50 hrs." that is a wild card, imo. I'm in the process of having a 540 built with some new, some low hr used parts(no exaust) for about that. Dont know about the drive assembly...1,500 maby?

farmer tx
01-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Estimate what it would cost to build a like engine with like parts. Offer 45% of what you come up with.:wrench:

Conquistador_del_mar
01-01-2009, 12:09 PM
I'll hazard a guess. I'd put the engine at about 9k but its the "50 hrs." that is a wild card, imo. I'm in the process of having a 540 built with some new, some low hr used parts(no exaust) for about that. Dont know about the drive assembly...1,500 maby?

Thanks! That is in the ballpark of what I figured, but I thought the almost new transom assembly with the heavily used Bravo drive was worth maybe $3k. Your estimate puts a value of about $10.5K on the package while I was thinking around $11K+, but you hit the nail on the head with the wild card of the 50 hour engine. Since the package is 1600 miles away from where I live, an inspection with CR and leakdown is not possible. I would be buying a pig in a poke. I am a gambler by nature, but this one might be more risk than it is worth - especially considering the cost of shipping. :nilly: Thanks again, Bill

Estimate what it would cost to build a like engine with like parts. Offer 45% of what you come up with.:wrench:

I just used that same % when I bought a like new china cabinet last month. It sure doesn't work out very well when you are selling, but this is a buyer's marketplace right now. Thanks for the input. Bill

MDonziM
01-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks! That is in the ballpark of what I figured, but I thought the almost new transom assembly with the heavily used Bravo drive was worth maybe $3k. Your estimate puts a value of about $10.5K on the package while I was thinking around $11K+, but you hit the nail on the head with the wild card of the 50 hour engine. Since the package is 1600 miles away from where I live, an inspection with CR and leakdown is not possible. I would be buying a pig in a poke. I am a gambler by nature, but this one might be more risk than it is worth - especially considering the cost of shipping. :nilly: Thanks again, Bill

I just used that same % when I bought a like new china cabinet last month. It sure doesn't work out very well when you are selling, but this is a buyer's marketplace right now. Thanks for the input. Bill

Motor actually looks familiar. I'll hazard another guess. Is the motor in a 25ft magnum that was listed on oso recently? If so I have seen it and heard it run.

Conquistador_del_mar
01-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Motor actually looks familiar. I'll hazard another guess. Is the motor in a 25ft magnum that was listed on oso recently? If so I have seen it and heard it run.

Yep, that is the one. Chris (the seller) lives in NY, and a friend told me about it in a recent magazine ad. I have talked to Chris, and he sent me these pictures. What can you tell me about the boat and engine? Thanks, Bill

MDonziM
01-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Yep, that is the one. Chris (the seller) lives in NY, and a friend told me about it in a recent magazine ad. I have talked to Chris, and he sent me these pictures. What can you tell me about the boat and engine? Thanks, Bill

Looked at it last summer. give me your number and I'll call you if you want. - Marshall

Conquistador_del_mar
01-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Looked at it last summer. give me your number and I'll call you if you want. - Marshall

Thanks Marshall.
I will be in from fishing by about 6:30PM central time, and I will give you a call. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
01-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Just as a follow up, I decided to hold off on this engine after talking to Marshall - thanks! Bill