PDA

View Full Version : 496 HO's 5th season

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Hello to the Donzi Brotherhood.... My question is, my 2003 496 HO's are approaching their 5th/6th season, it is winter maitenance time (boat is winterized) and I want to know if there are certain items you old timers (more experienced boaters that is) would check that is not routine. I did the 5 year plugs on year 4, The closed loop cooling fluid checks good and temps are normal but calls for replacement at year 5. Thoughts???

I check drive alignment every other year since I am low hours, about 215 or so, 2009 will be another limited year as we begin work ups for my LAST deployment of a 30 year career.

Oil, filter, seperator and drive fluids are always done often, prop is cleaned professionally each season I put new anodes (sp) on last season, the entire kit on each side, the belt looks good etc. I have had no mechanical issues on this Donzi, a rare saying in my ownership of 3 (I am not so hard on a boat the last few years).

Another reason I am asking is a friend with the same year twin 496HO's said time to sell (his boat) before stuff starts breaking.

So if there is anything extra you can think I should check let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Bryan

PS who runs what oil in their 496 HO's???

LKSD
12-30-2008, 06:51 PM
I dont know what all you have done & at exactly what intervals other than what you have breiefly listed..

So that said these are some items that should be maintained with usual intervals.. :

Water pump impeller = Usually about 100-300hrs or every other year or so. Which ever occurs first. However it can be shorter if in very sandy or silty areas. This is important as the impellers c an dry rot & come apart or form to the cage they ride in causing weak flow or no flow, Even if not heavily used.

Drive u-joint service & Gimble bearing inspection = every 1-2 years ( however it is usually 2 in northern areas seasonal)

Drive oil/lube & engine oil & lube. = This depends on type of useage, application & a few other things. Usually for most people they are done seasonally or every 20-60hrs which ever comes first.

Coolant = every 3-5 years or when the coolant begins to darken or loose its protection properties. which ever begins to occur first. I personally recomend an extra life or preferably An ELC coolant. I also am fond of using either RP or redline additive in the mix.. ;)

Remove props & lube shafts & check seals = peroidically more in salt water though.

Grease all fittings = at least once annually.

Drive belts = when they begin to show signs of fraying or cracking or are worn down.

Anodes = every couple years or when they start to wear down or loose 15-20% from original.

Trim & PS fluid = every couple years or when signs of darkening or moisture are present.

Wearable ignition components = every 1-2 years dependent upon usage. Some go longer, however even if not wornout they can corrode & seize to other components at times. Especially in more corrosive areas like salt water.

flame arrestor / air filter = clean/inspect periodically or at least seasonally if unit is not used much.

Batteries & charging system = check at least seasonally.

There is probably some other stuff that I am not remembering from the top of my head at the moment. :) Jamie

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Jamie, all of the above is done, most is over kill by my being anal.

I did think about the bellows... Thanks for the reply, I would just hate to miss something.

And the trim fluid is original, is that a hard change out since it is a pressurized system? Or a do it yourself deal?

Thanks again, I miss our chats, lets catch up this weekend, I will ring you up.

Bryan

LKSD
12-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Jamie, all of the above is done, most is over kill by my being anal.
I did think about the bellows... Thanks for the reply, I would just hate to miss something.
And the trim fluid is original, is that a hard change out since it is a pressurized system? Or a do it yourself deal?
Thanks again, I miss our chats, lets catch up this weekend, I will ring you up.
Bryan

Yes, The bellows are also a service type item. However unless they are leaking or dry rotted (cracked/torn) they are usually ok..

The trim fluid isn't really rocket science. It can get replaced a few ways. Usually either with a vaccum extractor, turkey baster or cracking or bleeding the lines & running the pump. The lines are pressurized when the drives are up or going up. other than that the air usually bleeds out on its own if you run the drives up & down a several times.. It is more of a time consuming thing & a bit messy rather than rocket science thing.. Also usually SAE 30, 5-30, Merc Hydraulic oil/trim/ps fluid of ATF can be used.

I will be around here on the weekend.. You know me, I am pretty easy to get a hold of. I am almost always working & have a phone around me.. lol

Have a great new year if I dont talk to you until the weekend.. Hope to chat then.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Dr. Dan
12-30-2008, 09:50 PM
:cool!: I think the biggest item is you gotta haul that ridiculous mass of Glass to AOTH 9 and save me from the wretched weenies that will be in Kentucky.

Plus you never come to any of our Donzi Events...like your too busy defending the Country or something? :salute:

Come on there Texas....schedule some R & R and join the losers that drive for hours on end to share in untrue stories of their childhood fantasies.:pimptwo:

Good Luck and Be Safe Bryan...have a good year...:wink:

Doc of Platitudes :popcorn::lame2:

BigGrizzly
12-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Bryan, on that engine Regardless of what it checks the coolant should be replaced. the reason for the closed loop is that engine does not like raw water. Anti freeze breaks down. and the block suffers.. Remember being anal is not being an a$$( as in horses). The boat always breaks at the farthest point from shore. It is true it is tough in Navel course 101 at Annapolis. Stay safe

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-31-2008, 10:24 AM
Randy, I will take your advice, now here is a question, can they change the cooling fluid without running the engine? I am winterized.

I still need to mail that damn Livorsi GPS speedo back, it was a topic of conversation and a few in our club has had issues, for a small fee they fix it and you pay the shipping...

Miss you guys.
Bryan

BigGrizzly
01-01-2009, 11:33 AM
)n the 496 and most others. it can be done easily. Because my cooler is below the engine i use an extractor pump. it is a fancy name for an oil extraction pump. BTW Barb and Andrew say " HI".

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks Randy... Give my best to your beautiful wife and great son! Tell Andrew that Jess went back to her three year man, I am not happy about it but I have to support her decisions at her wise age of 20, in most cases that is...

I will follow your advice and call my mechanic tomorrow.

I hope your New Year was good, we are looking forward to 2009, we stayed in but on our way to a party now! Gotta love old people.

Bryan

PS, here is us under the tree... and we will call you soon to check in Big Grizz.

BigGrizzly
01-01-2009, 12:30 PM
It is funny that the older that they get the smarter the parents become, there is still hope. It is one of the things that have to play out. Barb and my first marriages didn't work out either, and we were a lot older then Jess is. We can only hope to save our children from the painful mistakes we have made. Its part of growing up. Believe me on this one. If you can see through him she will too. Remember we still have that big down stairs and a good size dock.:wink:

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-01-2009, 07:02 PM
These parents are getting old... I just want him to love her as I do Aimee..
I am going to make a drink, and call ya!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Bryan

PS, here is a shot of my two angels and the love of my life in the middle, your phone is about to ring Randy!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-01-2009, 07:12 PM
OK, the 1126 number is out of order, NO ANSWER at the 8194 ...

Don't make me drive to GA Randy! The times I shared in your home with the family were the best, we will do it again soon.

Call anytime BiG GriZZ... :)
--------------------------------------------
EDIT: Great Call.... We will see you and Barb soon......
Bryan