PDA

View Full Version : Death at JH Mountain Resort........

Donziweasel
12-28-2008, 04:21 PM
A local, whos family I know very well, died yesterday at the JH Mountain Resort. The amount of snow we have been getting has been mindboggling. The avalanche danger has been off the scale. I have personally not been in the backcountry this year due to it. As bad as I want to go snowmobiling, it just isn't worth the risks. I have been in 3 avalanches since I have lived here, and that is enough for a life time.

Anyway, David Nodine was skiing at the Jackson Hole Mountain Resort when he decided to go into a closed area known for big air. It comes out into an area I ski alot called Toilet Bowl. He triggered a 9 ft avalanche. 9ft is the second biggest avalanche I have seen out here, and I have seen 100's. He was wearing a transciever and was found within 10 minutes. Like many avalanche victims, he died from trauma, not soffocation.

The upper part of JH has been closed for 2 days as crews tried to clear the area of avalanches. Another slide, in a run I ski alot called Alta 2, also slid.

While we have had a record year so far, (180 inches on the year), it is beginning to create major problems. This is the snowiest December in JH history. I have never heard of a death inside the Resort from avalanche/

While I wanted to ski today with 10 fresh inches on top of feet and feet from the last 10 days, I just didn't have the heart. It is always bad when someone perishes out here, but it just hits too close to home when it is part of our town's family. Today is a sad day for Jackson Hole. :(

fogducker III
12-28-2008, 04:41 PM
sorry to hear bud..........keep your chin up.........

Patti
12-28-2008, 05:23 PM
I am so, so sorry to hear of this John..my prayers are with you and the family and friends of the person who passed..

The Hedgehog
12-28-2008, 06:30 PM
I am sorry to hear about that John.

Team Jefe
12-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Keep the faith brother!

chappy
12-28-2008, 07:45 PM
I'm sorry John. I wish I had the words.

onesubdrvr
12-28-2008, 07:49 PM
My family and I will keep you in our thoughts and prayers, be well my friend.

Wayne

Ghost
12-28-2008, 10:40 PM
That is very sad news.

Donziweasel
12-29-2008, 07:14 AM
Thanks everyone, but to be honest, I did not know David very well, just his family. I had met him a few times.

At this point I am really pissed. This could have been avoided. I have lost 2 freinds in avalanches out here in 14 years. The reason that area was closed is that it is super steep and prone to avalanches. It is bombed dialy, and was bombed that morning. It doesn't matter, it was a closed area. There is PLENTY of terrian at JH for big air, you don't need to cross lines.

Too be honest, it happens way too much. Too many locals take stupid chances at JH. While in search of untracked powder or big air, they go into closed areas. I am sure this happens at many resorts. Alot of it is bragging rights, just to say you did it and did not get caught.

It is a simple, testosterone takes the place of common sense.

If you want to know how many people have perished out here in avalanches, click this link. It shows the date, who they were and how they died. I personally look at the page from time to time, see my two friends on there, and remember it is not a game. Brings me back to reality when I have pushed it a little too far in the backcountry.

http://www.jhavalanche.org/date.html

Air 22
12-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks everyone, but to be honest, I did not know David very well, just his family. I had met him a few times.
At this point I am really pissed. This could have been avoided. I have lost 2 freinds in avalanches out here in 14 years. The reason that area was closed is that it is super steep and prone to avalanches. It is bombed dialy, and was bombed that morning. It doesn't matter, it was a closed area. There is PLENTY of terrian at JH for big air, you don't need to cross lines.
Too be honest, it happens way too much. Too many locals take stupid chances at JH. While in search of untracked powder or big air, they go into closed areas. I am sure this happens at many resorts. Alot of it is bragging rights, just to say you did it and did not get caught.
It is a simple, testosterone takes the place of common sense.
If you want to know how many people have perished out here in avalanches, click this link. It shows the date, who they were and how they died. I personally look at the page from time to time, see my two friends on there, and remember it is not a game. Brings me back to reality when I have pushed it a little too far in the backcountry.
http://www.jhavalanche.org/date.html

John..The same sillyness happens all over..My mom lives in Steamboat Springs and we had the same problems..not the same steep as JH but lots of deep powder....and as a former Ski Patrol Member and Powder Cats Tour Guide I can't tell u how many stories just like ur's have happend. Down near A-Basin, Loveland Pass, Breckenridge, Copper Mt and Vail this crazy out of bounds stuff goes on...u get caught...bye bye season ski pass...that is if ur still alive...:frown:

Hopefully it will serve as a sad lesson to be learned for those "Thinking" of attempting out of bounds skiing...

Next time your up there make a few turns for me...Im hoping to make it out West in Jan...:yes:....all the best John....:wink:.....Dwight

PS I fly into JH often....PM me ur # and I'll look u up...We usually stay downtown....right across from Sidewinders Saloon:) and occationally out at the Mt Lodge near the Mangey Moose Bar:) awsome joint!!