PDA

View Full Version : OK, Confused againnnnn...?

fogducker III
12-28-2008, 03:44 PM
So I have decided to try and protect the Scorpion from the harsh salt water.......contacted San Juan Engineering and they suggest their MC 321 full cooling system for my application.

I thought while I was in there...........a new exhaust/riser set-up........:yes:

My question is, " Which set up?" :boggled:

I will NOT deal with Eddie Marine, I have tried to look at Stainless Marine but IMO their site sucks........no info and no details........:frown: I know they are a good product but they seem to be aimed at the dealer and not the buyer........?

I need to know EXACTLY which exhaust/riser system I need for my set up......? The stock risers appear to be a "straight" shot out the back so I assume I need the 90* risers? Or do the new manifolds change that angle? Will the plumbing marry up with the San Juan system?

Problem I have is when I order and pay for stuff, if it is not right it is a PITA to return stuff and the delay is brutal........any suggestions? Tanks........:bonk:

BigGrizzly
12-28-2008, 03:53 PM
The thing about Stainless Marine is the people who are in controle and since one of them is one of the best Donzi aficionados and racer of Donzis back when there were REAL men racing.

fogducker III
12-28-2008, 04:29 PM
The thing about Stainless Marine is the people who are in controle and since one of them is one of the best Donzi aficionados and racer of Donzis back when there were REAL men racing.

Sorry, your point being..............:confused:

Does this mean I am not allowed to buy Stainless? :garfield:

boxy
12-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Sorry, your point being..............:confused:

Does this mean I am not allowed to buy Stainless? :garfield:

No his point is that you will more than likely get exactly what you need from a guy who cares about Donzi's.

RedDog
12-28-2008, 05:45 PM
talk to MadPoodle about the SS Marine products. He can source them for you.

I saw that the DonziNet After Christmas auction will have a set of the SB SM exhausts

SilverBack
12-28-2008, 05:45 PM
No..I don't think that is what he means at all!! I think just about everybody here on this site really likes Stainless Marine products. I run IMCO and there are a lot of guys with CMI but I think that a lot really like Stainless. I think the best thing to do is call them directly and talk to Brownie. I think there is a place on the website that you can post questions to him on the site. He knows Donzis very well to say the least. I think that Poodle may be a dealer for them also but I can't remember. I am pretty sure that Jamie at Lakeside is a dealer for them also. You could probably call either one of them. Jamie is an site supporter and so is Poodle. I guess "site supporter" would be accurate!!!

Good Luck!!

fogducker III
12-28-2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the replies, I think.........?

All I am looking for is an exhaust/riser combination for a basic Chevy 350 set-up with a San Juan heat exchanger..........:frown:

Just seems like a lot of effort to spend money if you know what I mean.........?

I will contact Jamie and Scott and try to get a part/kit number and then go from there, thanks.

boxy
12-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Call Scott, or call Stainles and ask for Brownie .....

CONVENIENTLY LOCATED AT:
13800 N.W. 19th AVENUE
OPA LOCKA, FLORIDA 33054

TEL: (305) 681-7893
FAX: (305) 685-1457

They'll fix you up.

gcarter
12-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Here's a picture of my SBC w/SM manifolds and risers, crank driven seawater pump, and Meziere remote electric coolant pump.
SM is the best!
Don't be confuused.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34764&d=1205500979

gcarter
12-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Another couple,

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10374&d=1112068206
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10375&d=1112068224

fogducker III
12-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the posts and pics George. Great system, that is what I want without the seawater pump, I have that mounted to the block at present.

I was just concerned about the clearance factor with the Scorpion and the heat exchanger.........?

I realize this is not rocket science but it seems hard to find the right parts...........?

BTW. George, looks like you could fit a friggin hot tub in that engine bay along with the engine!!!!!!!!!!!

gcarter
12-28-2008, 09:00 PM
BTW. George, looks like you could fit a friggin hot tub in that engine bay along with the engine!!!!!!!!!!!

It's easy w/the deck off.
Have you ever changed the impellor in a Merc pump?
It's alot easier with the crank mounted Johnson

TXDONZI
12-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Has the electric pump worked well for you? On my present build I am going with a cam driven MagnaFlow Pump for raw water. I have been looking into doing a closed system using a electric pump just like what you are using. I plan to mount the exchanger low in the bilge and use one of the race car type water neck/t-stat housing with a cap on it to fill and get the air out of the system.

gcarter
12-29-2008, 06:47 AM
Has the electric pump worked well for you? On my present build I am going with a cam driven MagnaFlow Pump for raw water. I have been looking into doing a closed system using a electric pump just like what you are using. I plan to mount the exchanger low in the bilge and use one of the race car type water neck/t-stat housing with a cap on it to fill and get the air out of the system.
Yep, the Meziere pump works very well. It's guaranteed for 3000 hrs for the Heave Duty version.
My plans for the TR are similar to yours w/the electric pump mounted near to the HX.

osur866
12-29-2008, 07:56 AM
J, I did SM manifolds and risers on my 6.2 and was pretty much a direct bolt on, saved exactly 83lbs from the iron that came out, noticed better fuel economy and picked up about 80-100 rpms, can't say anything about the closed cooling don't have it. I'd probably go with the new CMI's for the sb if money wasn't an option, these where not out when I bought mine, only complaint I have with the SM's is in order to change spark plug's I now have to take the manifold off :garfield: not a huge deal but just takes longer and I need to be in the right frame of mind to be crawling around in the bilge upside down feet pointing to the sky :bonk:you all know what I mean who have done it. Steve

BigGrizzly
12-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Boxi Has it RIGHT. The only reason I have CMIs on My Criterion And Corsican, is because no one made a bolt on system for the Corsican. The Criterion had the engine built around tube hedders.

fogducker III
12-29-2008, 01:20 PM
talk to MadPoodle about the SS Marine products. He can source them for you.

I saw that the DonziNet After Christmas auction will have a set of the SB SM exhausts

Do we know any more details on this auction.??

gcarter
12-29-2008, 02:25 PM
The reason plugs can be an issue w/SM exhaust is plug design. I noticed that when I had mine, some brands of plugs would accomodate a socket and others wouldn't. It depended on where the hex was in relationship to the manifold. Also you can use a thin walled socket w/o a rubber insulater which gives a bit more space.

RedDog
12-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Do we know any more details on this auction.??

the latest is here - http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55231

fogducker III
12-29-2008, 04:11 PM
the latest is here - http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55231

Thank you sir, I missed that post..............:)