PDA

View Full Version : Nice original 18 on ebay

MR MAGOO
12-28-2008, 05:52 AM
Check it out, looks like the owner added a Testarossa stainless windshield.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DONZI-CLASSIC-18-2-3-1972-UNRESTORED-ORIGINAL-BEAUTY_W0QQitemZ140291376484QQihZ004QQcategoryZ636 85QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Nice boat but personally I just don't like the look of a windshield on a Classic.

chappy
12-28-2008, 07:08 AM
Don't know about everyone else, but I like this one a lot. Love the old school trailer.

jl1962
12-28-2008, 08:17 AM
I believe this boat was on boatraderonline for a loooong time - asking price was mid-teens. I thought is was marked "SOLD". Anyone else remember?

Nice looking boat- except for the windshield IMHO. Is the windshield really original? I would flip it to the guy w/ the TR.

Still - love these old Donzis.

JL

olredalert
12-28-2008, 09:00 AM
------While this 18 is seriously clean and probably make someone a great boat, I know the windshield wasnt on the boat new. As a DONZI dealer I was ordering new DONZIs during this time period and, believe me, I may not have ordered all the options but I knew what was available. There was a windshield option, but that isnt it. The factory wouldnt have put the grab bars on an 18 that had a windshield anyway. As well, either the seats have been dyed or the interior is newer. This is the first time I have ever seen that color vinyl. The correct interior (if not white) would have matched the hulls baby blue.
------Its too bad that the original engine is gone because the small scoop tells me that this boat was delivered with the very good LT1 Chris-Craft 350 with the tall intake. I took delivery of two of those boats and they were screamers even with the aluminum prop and without trim, and they had a seriously great idle!!! Once again, the engine in it is great but not the solid lifter Chris-Craft it came with.
------None of this makes the boat any less of a boat, but deserves to be brought up in the interest of full disclosure.......Bill S

mattyboy
12-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Bill,
i agree with you , this boat does look very well cared for and maintained, the interior looks new it does have the "number 5 seat" option( i think that is what it was called). this was an option from the factory and built rite the front seats are not the tight buckets but have a wider opening almost like a captains chair for husky people , I have seen another 71 all original boat with those seats

wannabe
12-28-2008, 12:14 PM
What is everyone's guess what this bring on E bay given the current conditions ? :confused:

olredalert
12-28-2008, 12:17 PM
--------Todays market,,,,,,,$10,000ish..........Bill S

wannabe
12-28-2008, 12:23 PM

Kinda what I was thinking also. The reserve is probably higher than that!

Donziweasel
12-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Hmmmm.......here is the same boat on Boattrader-

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1972-DONZI-EIGHTEEN-2-PLUS-3-92668870

They want 18,500.00. Has to be the same boat, same trailer, one has it at Lake Lanier, the other in Atlanta, 45 miles apart, and the same Pleasure craft engine. Funny thing is that it is listed as a 1972 on Boattrader, and a 71 on ebay......

Also, one ad says Volvo 270, the other, 280, but both lics of the drvie say 270........

Conquistador_del_mar
12-28-2008, 01:46 PM
------While this 18 is seriously clean and probably make someone a great boat, I know the windshield wasnt on the boat new. As a DONZI dealer I was ordering new DONZIs during this time period and, believe me, I may not have ordered all the options but I knew what was available. There was a windshield option, but that isnt it. The factory wouldnt have put the grab bars on an 18 that had a windshield anyway. As well, either the seats have been dyed or the interior is newer. This is the first time I have ever seen that color vinyl. The correct interior (if not white) would have matched the hulls baby blue.
------Its too bad that the original engine is gone because the small scoop tells me that this boat was delivered with the very good LT1 Chris-Craft 350 with the tall intake. I took delivery of two of those boats and they were screamers even with the aluminum prop and without trim, and they had a seriously great idle!!! Once again, the engine in it is great but not the solid lifter Chris-Craft it came with.
------None of this makes the boat any less of a boat, but deserves to be brought up in the interest of full disclosure.......Bill S

If it just had to have a windshield, I have to say that is one of the very best looking windshields I have ever seen! I can't say I personally like the docking lights - were they a factory option? I doubt that they were. Yep, the original CC350 sounded great! I am almost sure the original gauges would have been Stewart Warner SS bezel. Everything else looks original including the Morse throttle, upholstery, tonneau cover, and Rocket trailer except the extra gauge on the dash along with a couple switches. Overall a great looking 18 2+3 in my book. Bill

DonziChris
12-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Looks to be the same windshield that came on my 1993 18

Conquistador_del_mar
12-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Looks to be the same windshield that came on my 1993 18

The one on the 1972 looks to be rounded on the front corners compared to what looks like squared on your 1993. Correct? Maybe I am not seeing yours very well. Bill

olredalert
12-28-2008, 03:04 PM
------Bill,,,Lights were an option, but far more frequently used on the larger models. You are correct on the windshield, tho! Close to the later boat but not quite the same........Bill S

Donzi Racer
12-28-2008, 03:47 PM

Bill, 1st, thanks for the history on these old Donzi's. You are a wonderful fountain of knowledge for all of us wanting to know or hear as much as we can about the old ones. I had seen that the Chris Craft engines were options, but never heard about their performance before. So neat to see one so well taken care of. Shame about the different motor. Even with that, it being so nice and I always think one of these days the buying public are going to smarten up about these older Donzi's and start thinking of them as early MUSCLE BOATS and let the upward movement in value begin. From the 3 Barell Backs we have sold recently, this movement sems to be starting as even I have been surprised with what they are starting to bring. Much more than they sold for originally. Hell of a time to think in those terms with this economy like it is, but I see that this clean example has already reached over the 10k mark is less than 2 days. I do not know if it will sell or not, but I believe it will get closer to 15k. And if anyone thinks I am crazy, I am willing to put my $ where my Mouth is. Just name the amount! Anyone? I like to sell anything that makes peoples eyes sparkle, & Boats like this, definitely make peoples eyes sparkle. Hmmmm? Maybe I need to go look for some more that need a little TLC befoe it is too late. My 2c plus a little Extra. Tom

Donzi Vol
12-28-2008, 04:16 PM
What is everyone's guess what this bring on E bay given the current conditions ? :confused:

If the seller can provide some documentation on the questionable original parts I believe it can bring $15,000ish. It's worth at least $12.5k without any further explanation IMHO. Will be exciting to see what happens:nilly:

Donziweasel
12-28-2008, 04:38 PM
If we are betting, I say 13,500.00. I know they offered that seating package, but that has to be new upholstry. No upholstry is going to look that good after 37 years.

Anyone on here bidding? Don't worry, I am tapped out!:wink: I like the color though........

Donzi Racer
12-28-2008, 04:54 PM
If the seller can provide some documentation on the questionable original parts I believe it can bring $15,000ish. It's worth at least $12.5k without any further explanation IMHO. Will be exciting to see what happens:nilly:

SSSHHH, I am trying to get some bets going here! The windshield may have come about in the eighties when the original owner was getting a little older and wanted to keep the spray and wind out of his hair. I guess he could have gone to a Donzi dealer and had them order one and put it on. Makes sense to me. I had a 70's model windshield on a X-18 pic below. It was not near as attractive as this one on the 71 model. Tom

Donzi Racer
12-28-2008, 05:22 PM
If we are betting, I say 13,500.00. I know they offered that seating package, but that has to be new upholstry. No upholstry is going to look that good after 37 years.

Anyone on here bidding? Don't worry, I am tapped out!:wink: I like the color though........

Ok DW we have a high bid price POOL starting here. Can do it like your Rarest Donzi List. I say 15k or above. For any amount anyone wants to put up. If the boat comes down early, all bets off. Lets here the picks. Tom

Conquistador_del_mar
12-28-2008, 07:00 PM

John,
Just for the sake of honesty, I am the one who bid $8000 followed by $10,000, but I was outbid on both my bids. Bill

Hell of a time to think in those terms with this economy like it is, but I see that this clean example has already reached over the 10k mark is less than 2 days. I do not know if it will sell or not, but I believe it will get closer to 15k. My 2c plus a little Extra. Tom

Tom,
I bid the $10,000, but I was outbid by the previous bidder 0***2. I, too, will be interested to see what it eventually sells for if the reserve is met. I am also thinking that some of these older performance boats might see a price increase as time goes by. When I think of selling my restored 1939 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe runabout in 1985 for $8500, I cringe! Bill

Donzi Racer
12-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Bill, are you looking for another one? I thought 10k wold be a bargain. I was going to see if he would take that when it was at $1050 on ebay. I called and emailed him but before I could get him, it had already hit 10,100. You saved me some money. ha ha I surely do not think 10k would be close but one can hope. I think it is amazing in this economy to go from nothing to 10k in 24 hours and has 9 days left at that point. More to come, Tom

mattyboy
12-28-2008, 08:41 PM
I admire your passion and optimizum guys, but it must be the skeptical nu yorka in me that the values are not there as of yet. there have been 2 X 18 in the last 6 -8 months that started in the low teens and went for 6500 and they are considered a limited production boat these 2 boats were in good to very good shape . with the economy tanking and new boat sales drying up their price will start to fall hurting used boat sales as well . the market is full of 22 classics that can be had for 15k some a little more some a little less

the blue boat had a 18k asking price not too far back we'll see what happens i think values will drop before they come back up

Donzi Vol
12-28-2008, 09:07 PM
I admire your passion and optimizum guys, but it must be the skeptical nu yorka in me that the values are not there as of yet. there have been 2 X 18 in the last 6 -8 months that started in the low teens and went for 6500 and they are considered a limited production boat these 2 boats were in good to very good shape . with the economy tanking and new boat sales drying up their price will start to fall hurting used boat sales as well . the market is full of 22 classics that can be had for 15k some a little more some a little less

the blue boat had a 18k asking price not too far back we'll see what happens i think values will drop before they come back up

mattyboy,

Let me play Devil's Advocate a little bit here. Now I'm not going to make any assumptions on this boat in particular but I will share one observation I've made being in the midst of a capitalist industry each day. The fact is, there are still plenty of people out there with money to spend. There are also plenty of people out there who are looking for a real nice toy. Every now and again those two "types" converge into one person, and WHALA! a Donzi sells for at or near asking price. Personally, I've got the extra money to buy a tender for a tender, but even so there are still guys out there who are looking for a yacht for a yacht. Just my two cents.

All the best

Conquistador_del_mar
12-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Bill, are you looking for another one? I thought 10k wold be a bargain. I was going to see if he would take that when it was at $1050 on ebay. I called and emailed him but before I could get him, it had already hit 10,100. You saved me some money. ha ha I surely do not think 10k would be close but one can hope. I think it is amazing in this economy to go from nothing to 10k in 24 hours and has 9 days left at that point. More to come, Tom

I had a friend in mind when I bid. Not knowing the reserve, I was willing to pay the $10,000 or so and use the boat for a while even if my friend didn't want it. I need another boat like a hole in my sock (never cared for the other expression - lol). After seeing that it is offered somewhere else for $18K+, I really doubt the guy will sell it on ebay, but who knows. It really is a nice rig in a cool color. Bill

mattyboy
12-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Donzi Vol

I agree there is always a right buyer for the right boat and will pay the right price from time to time . thank you for that macro economics class but there will be more people looking to down size and get rid of some toys and then it will become a buyers market if it hasn't happened already. I have been in the market to buy another one and have not found the right boat and every one I was interested in sold for 1-6k less than asking price. there are many 10k and under classics out there you will do well with your extra money right now.
I am hoping the market really goes up in the muscle boat arena. seeing as I spend most of my time helping out restoring them, working with the lake george donzi classic club with organizing the only judged boat show for classic donzis I know of.
so really i am a huge fanatic but maybe i am just to negative :rolleyes:

and if you guys are interested one of our members has a 74 16 with a nice mild 350 for sale here in the for sale section 10k takes it

Donzi Vol
12-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Donzi Vol

I agree there is always a right buyer for the right boat and will pay the right price from time to time . thank you for that macro economics class but there will be more people looking to down size and get rid of some toys and then it will become a buyers market if it hasn't happened already.

LOL! Ok, fair enough. Just seen it happen a time or two...that's all

Ghost
12-28-2008, 10:55 PM
I need another boat like a hole in my sock (never cared for the other expression - lol)...

I'm with you. (And at a bare minimum, the original should have been "like I need another hole...")

Conquistador_del_mar
12-29-2008, 12:14 AM
I'm with you. (And at a bare minimum, the original should have been "like I need another hole...")

Too funny. :yes:

Conquistador_del_mar
12-30-2008, 11:00 AM

Bidding is up to $11,800 and the top bidder is the same 0***2. Out of curiosity, I logged out and pulled up the bidders. It shows my bidder name as i***g, which is nothing at all like my real bidder name. John, your guess might come pretty close at the end. Bill

mattyboy
12-30-2008, 11:08 AM
i always have a bad feeling that when i see a zero feedback bidder , I get the feeling of a shill bidder but that is just me.

I have a high feedback but a low total of feedbacks cause i try to avoid the auction end and try and get the deal done offline

i guess it could be a newbie who wants a nice boat ?????

Conquistador_del_mar
12-30-2008, 11:55 AM
i always have a bad feeling that when i see a zero feedback bidder , I get the feeling of a shill bidder but that is just me.

I have a high feedback but a low total of feedbacks cause i try to avoid the auction end and try and get the deal done offline

i guess it could be a newbie who wants a nice boat ?????

The present bidder only has 5 feedbacks and usually bids on antiques so he might be legitimate, but I agree that when I see a new bidder on an expensive item I tend to think it is a shill bidder. I really doubt that this one will meet the reserve, so we will probably never know.
After looking at the boat some more, I really don't care for the clashing blue seating colors - my preference would have been light blue or white seats to go with the light blue hull. Bill