PDA

View Full Version : New Mercury Racing 450hp......

Donziweasel
12-27-2008, 07:12 PM
I found a new Mercury Racing 450 hp 454 still sealed from the factory. Price is pretty damn good and even comes with a nice blue intake. Anyone know anything about these engines? This is not a rebuilt or reman, but new.

Air 22
12-27-2008, 08:12 PM
I found a new Mercury Racing 450 hp 454 still sealed from the factory. Price is pretty damn good and even comes with a nice blue intake. Anyone know anything about these engines? This is not a rebuilt or reman, but new.

New? As in sitting for a while?:boggled::...Someone here must know...:confused:

http://mercuryracing.com/engine_tests/

MOP
12-27-2008, 09:23 PM
As I remember that block is set up very nice, it will get you into 70+ at sea level. Talk to Jamie about a huffer and it will do what you want up high!!!

Donziweasel
12-28-2008, 07:06 AM
Supposedly was sitting in a marine stores warehouse. When they went to reorganize, they found it and a 420 hp. New, still factory sealed.

Phil, I am with you on the huffer..........:wink:

Donziweasel
12-28-2008, 08:04 AM
They are asking 5000.00 for the 420 and 6000.00 for the 450. Pretty complete. Looks like all you need is an carb, distributer, front accessories......

I bet you could get the 420 for 4000.00. I am thinking about offering 5000.00 for the 450.

LKSD
12-28-2008, 08:07 AM
As I remember that block is set up very nice, it will get you into 70+ at sea level. Talk to Jamie about a huffer and it will do what you want up high!!!

MOP, I like how you think..

John, how about 500-525 with an exhaust & whipple on your SB @ sea level? Even at your altitude it should still net you some good ponies.. ;) Jamie

Donziweasel
12-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Here's a pic of both. The black intake is the 420, and the blue 450.

Donziweasel
12-28-2008, 08:22 AM
Jamie, we need to talk, will call you tommorrow.......:wink:

The Hedgehog
12-28-2008, 09:04 AM
I know where you stand on the boost thing! Good idea:pimp:

LKSD
12-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Jamie, we need to talk, will call you tommorrow.......:wink:

I will be open. :)

Also I just payed a bit more attention to MOP's post & yes boost to one of the BBs would definitley get you some big #'s I think an intercooled Whipple OR Blowershop unit would work nice!.. That Critter would need wings.. ! :) Jamie

Last Real Texan
12-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Here's a pic of both. The black intake is the 420, and the blue 450.
Need to change your name to SUPER SLEUTH,How did you find these? Good job!

Tex

Donziweasel
12-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Scott, I am game. They are original from the factory, never been installed or run. What do you think I should offer? He wants 11,000.00 for the pair. Should I try 8500.00? Engines are in Texas. Hell, since they are new, they may even come with a Merc warranty.....

Jamie, I like it!!!!!!!:wink: Will definetly call tommorrow. Jamie, I am a big fan of Whipple, but think a procharger might be a better option. I am thinking of hatch clearance. I will try and measure how much clearance I currenty have with the 6.2L.......If a whipple will fit, sign me up!!!!!!!

Bill, you know how I feel about forced induction!!!!!!:):):):):):):)

Tex, I have found more engines online in the last 2 weeks than you could possibly imagine..............

I like the idea of an Merc engine. Most I have found have been built. I know Merc quality, but not alot of these other engines........

fogducker III
12-28-2008, 01:45 PM
John, if you end up getting this engine I have these that might be some help?

They are factory manuals and not much they don't cover, including outdrive.

Your more than welcome to them if you need them?

osur866
12-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Does the case of pale ale come with them? :yes: Steve

fogducker III
12-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Does the case of pale ale come with them? :yes: Steve

After working on big blocks in the past, YES it does! You need to be half cut when you try to lift off a cylinder head or an exhaust intake by yourself!! In a confined space......... :eek::nilly:

Donziweasel
12-28-2008, 01:59 PM
I wish! Starting to like this idea. Could sell the 6.2L, grab one of these, but a blower on it, and walah, done. Plus, the blowers for Carbed engines are MUCH cheaper than the EFI stuff........

Calling Mr. Poodle, calling Mr. Poodle..........

p729lws
12-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Maybe if someone knows somebody at Victory Marine we can get some more details...

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.com/new_mercury_racing_hp450_hp_420-o27019-en.html

Dan

Donziweasel
12-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Thankis, I will be sure to post anything you are trying to quietly look at so maybe someone can buy it out from under you. I have no idea why you would do something like that. Appreciate it.

Since you have pretty much thrown it out there, yes, Scot VanAlstine has the engines.

BigGrizzly
12-29-2008, 01:29 PM
No Offence But if its to be kept quiet, it will never be on OSO period!:eek: Ebay has less inquiring eyes. The real reason they are still there is, any one with the coin to re power would not use them because they want 502 or bigger and pairs. DW at this point anyone who wants that motor does not have the coin. I posted a 525 on the board for $15,000 with 30 or less hours on it, a complete pull out with put it in and go. Exhaust and all. When Air22 turned it down, nobody wanted it. Its gone now. My personal opinion Is if you post it and do not lay claim(real interest and $) on it it is public domain.

Donziweasel
12-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Randy, that is a bunch of crap. I asked for info about them. Then, me and Poodle were talking about buying them. P729ls had no reason to throw that out there except to be malicious. He had no interest in this thread, those engines, or anything to do with it. I am not alone, other members thought it was a crappy thing to do as well. One was even going to PM him about it. Also,

My personal opinion Is if you post it and do not lay claim(real interest and $) on it it is public domain.

I did not post where they were or who had them for a damn reason.....it was the weekend and I could not get in touch with Scot until today.
So, why would he do that except to be an a$$hole? Like I said, he had no interest in the engines.

You know, I caught a bunch of crap for posting that I was interested in the Scorpion on Ebay that Jeremey bought when I lost it. I had stated that I would never try and buy anything out from another board member. Others said that some members don't have the scrouples I do and it is best to keep things quiet until you have bought them. No one had any idea I purchased the Critter for that reason.

I tried to do that with these engines. I obviously did not say anthing for a damn reason. So, why would someone do what he did?

You know, I get so damn sick of the way some of the people act on here. What happened to respect? It seems some members are just out to screw people for no damn reason except to be an ass.

From here on out, I am not saying a damn thing about my boats or what I am doing to them if this is the way people are going to act.

I am closing this thread.