PDA

View Full Version : Let's see your Christmas lights

McGary911
12-26-2008, 11:40 AM
Since I was a little kid, I've always liked Christmas lights on houses. Used to make my parents drive me around looking for "good ones". Now that I'm all grown up, I may not go crazy decorating the house, but I make sure I hang a few lights. I'm not Clark Griswald, but think it turned out ok.

The house, and of course my Santa-Homer. Let's see some pics of your places lit up.

apollo24
12-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Here's a couple for us. Not a great shot, but you get the idea. Our home is over a century old and was built for the first Mobile Bay ferry captain, so we had to have a nautical theme- and we sail!

DonziJon
12-26-2008, 06:11 PM
Here's a couple for us. Not a great shot, but you get the idea. Our home is over a century old and was built for the first Mobile Bay ferry captain, so we had to have a nautical theme- and we sail!

Did you say WE SAIL? John

wannabe
12-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Being a northerner it is odd to see X mas lites with palm trees in the background !!!

apollo24
12-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Did you say WE SAIL? John

Ahhh- C&C! I like it. I have had a bunch of raceboats (Olson, Lasers, Stars), but always wanted a CD Typhoon, so we found one half sunk and have been restoring it. We even did my groom's cake as a Cape Dory. Sorry for the hijack....

DonziJon
12-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Ahhh- C&C! I like it. I have had a bunch of raceboats (Olson, Lasers, Stars), but always wanted a CD Typhoon, so we found one half sunk and have been restoring it. We even did my groom's cake as a Cape Dory. Sorry for the hijack....

CD Typhoon: Maybe the best 18 footer out there. I leaned to sail in a Cape Cod Shipbuilding..Bullseye. It was modeled on the Herreshoff 12 1/2. I think the Cape Dory was close. John

McGary911
12-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Being a northerner it is odd to see X mas lites with palm trees in the background !!!

I lived in Jersey for 30+ years. Yeah, it's not normal, but........Damn, it's nice :wink:

roadtrip se
12-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Old style lights...

mikev
12-27-2008, 11:02 AM
i cannot figure out how to get shutterfly to allow me to post a picture i will play with it later but here is a link to all our photos Christmas is the latest album.

http://mikeandsherry.shutterfly.com/

Just Say N20
12-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Old school.

McGary911
12-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Guess it's time to blow some stuff off this thread. My house is basically the same, except with a few more lights. I'll post a pic after I buy one more extension cord. Of course SantaHomer graces the front lawn just again.

Let's see this year's lights and stuff on your places.

justleft
12-15-2009, 09:04 PM
I am on the right Not really

MOP
12-15-2009, 10:07 PM

I have sailed on on a one it was a blast, great sailor feel bigger then they are I call them "sail and bail". A buddy took me along on a sail off Block Island in 20 knot breeze with short chop knew why I got to crew!!! It was a wet little bugger did a lot of bailing moral always have a bucket and wet gear aboard in case it kicks up.

Post some shots of yours in Talk About Other Boats (http://www.donzi.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16), there are quite a few old and some current rag baggers up here!

Phil

VetteLT193
12-16-2009, 08:42 AM
I kept blowing the circuits last year so I wimped out this year and did a few strands of the new LED lights just on the base of the roof line. :bonk:

LeadSledMerc
12-16-2009, 11:44 AM
I am on the right Not really
Toooo funny!

undertaker
12-16-2009, 12:50 PM
7hrs and 10,000 lights later.......

McGary911
12-20-2009, 05:17 PM
7hrs and 10,000 lights later.......

10000 lights....Think you could probably heat the house with that. :wink:

Front of my house isn't much different from last year. Here's a pic of my pool. Put in one of those spiral Christmas trees on the waterfall. I can see it from most of the rooms in my house.

Ed Donnelly
12-20-2009, 06:56 PM
My dream.. A glass covered pool so I can swim during the winter..
And a great place for christmas lighting(to stay on topic)................Ed

McGary911
12-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Guess it's time to kick this one to the top again, huh?

Time to tap your inner-Griswald and show the board what you did for decorations this year. I'm pretty much the same as last year, but I DID add some rope lights around my trees by the lake. Figured it'll be nice for my neighbors on the other side.

HOWARD O
12-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Great thread and the lights look great! I'm in the spirit!

We have a pretty small house and a 12' tree is just WAY over the top, but it was so nice (and inexpensive) we figured why not.

Wasn't quite dark enough for the outside shot, I'll try and get a better shot of the outdoor lights. Every year I just go through the lights and put up whatever strings still work. :boggled:

VetteLT193
12-17-2010, 02:54 PM
By the way (a year later), anyone considering LED lights... they suck.

They are fine inside on the tree, but forget about using them outside. My old C9 bulbs are fine after many years of use. The LED's... no so much. Out of 8 strands used for one season one strand is dead. The other strands are no longer consistent in brightness. some are bright, some are as dim as half bright.

Next year I'm back to the old C9 bulbs now that I sold my commercial Kegerator that was on the same circuit hopefully it won't blow. :shocking:

HOWARD O
12-18-2010, 02:08 PM
By the way (a year later), anyone considering LED lights... they suck.

They are fine inside on the tree, but forget about using them outside. My old C9 bulbs are fine after many years of use. The LED's... no so much. Out of 8 strands used for one season one strand is dead. The other strands are no longer consistent in brightness. some are bright, some are as dim as half bright.

Next year I'm back to the old C9 bulbs now that I sold my commercial Kegerator that was on the same circuit hopefully it won't blow. :shocking:

Wow, I'm glad you posted this as I was thinking about outdoor LED's for next year. I thought they'd last forever and use no energy! :confused:

Guess that shoots that idea down.....thanks for the head's up! :yes:

McGary911
12-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Hmm. The 8 strands along my roofline are all LEDs. On season #3, out of all the strands I only have one out, a blue one.

I really like the deeper colors of the LEDs. Guess it depends what you buy, not that I'd know great from junk. Got mine from Brookstone at 5.99 a strand.