PDA

View Full Version : 18' Testa Rossa

Donzi Vol
12-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Rare 18' Testa Rossa. Ready to hit the water or would be a great project for someone who wants an original special edition Donzi!:yes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150317602731

Lenny
12-23-2008, 10:36 PM
IMO, once you separate the hull and deck, do a tank, replace the outdrive back to Merc, find a windshield, get a bunk trailer, and a "few" other things you will easily be over 10K. For that you could just buy a running original one of same vintage and leave a few headaches behind... and "without" the Hurricane Coast Guard stigma.

IMO

:)

Donzi Racer
12-24-2008, 01:23 AM
IMO, once you separate the hull and deck, do a tank, replace the outdrive back to Merc, find a windshield, get a bunk trailer, and a "few" other things you will easily be over 10K. For that you could just buy a running original one of same vintage and leave a few headaches behind... and "without" the Hurricane Coast Guard stigma.

IMO

:)

Now Now Lenny, although I do agree if I had plenty of money and was looking for a nice original 1980's 18 foot Donzi, I would go your way also. By the way if you know of any testa rossa's, limited editions, or special editions for 10k range in great shape, let me know. But back a while when I was looking for a good classic Donzi for over 10 years in an affordable range, I would have thought I had died and gone to heaven if I had the chance to buy a running Donzi that was extremely rare, like less than 10 made and could enjoy it while taking my time & restoring it. When I finally found this Donzi site, after years & year of just dreaming of my next Donzi, one of the things I was enthused with most, was how much the people here helped find & then help enthusiast restore the ones that would normally be basically thrown to the salvage yards. The ones that were worth saving , which in my opinion is almost all of them if they say Donzi on the side.
I really should not say anything, since I might end up buying this one. I wanted to buy a 18 testa rossa a few years back that was on ebay pretty reasonably. As usual, I barely missed it and have been sick ever since. It needed engine work and now here I am with a 350 mag and alpha drive sitting around waiting on something to put it into. Wish that one was still available. There also was a real nice T R offered for 15k a little while back on the registry and seemed to be getting quite a bit of interest and enthusiasm about it, until the owner decided to keep it. This testa rossa might be bought for 1/3 of what that one was. It may be just what someone is looking for. Anyway my 2c and if nothing else, neat affordable Donzi. Tom

Donziweasel
12-24-2008, 06:41 AM
It has been for sale for a while. Something is not right though. In some pics, it has a windshield, in others it does not. Some pics show a white steering wheel, others black. Same with gauges, some pics white, some black. I enquired about the boat, it needs ALOT of work, more than they are making it out to need. It has been making the rounds-

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54403

I made a bid of a 100.00, what the heck......

Donziweasel
12-24-2008, 06:50 AM
Alright re-read. It says last 5 pics are of a perfect Testa, not this one.....ooops......:wink:

onesubdrvr
12-24-2008, 06:51 AM
**after I posted, I saw you beat me to it ;)

I think he stated that some pictures were of a boat as original.

We talked about this boat before, was on craigs list, and on here for $5500 then I think 5000.

I like the OMC drive, and if memory serves me correctly, it originally had the merc, then had a drive problem, and was replaced with an OMC why? who knows, but I like it (if it had an Alpha prior).

I'm going to keep my eyes on this one too, it'll be interesting to see where it goes.

Wayne

mattyboy
12-24-2008, 06:53 AM
this boat may have started off as a testa but it has lost all that special edition value as it doesn't have the italian windshield the gray interior.
just another project boat and from what i have seen on original mid 80's classics is they need fuel system replacements the untreated foamed in alum tanks are not holding up well plus all the fuel lines will need to be replaced as they are not e- 10 resistant this may not be a problem every where but in NY it is.
so my search has changed if i am going to have to split another classic it might has well be an older rarer boat .

Donzi Vol
12-24-2008, 07:44 AM
this boat may have started off as a testa but it has lost all that special edition value as it doesn't have the italian windshield the gray interior.
just another project boat

Seriously? Lost all of it's SE value? I have to respectively beg to differ here. But to each his own...

Donziweasel
12-24-2008, 08:03 AM
Seriously? Lost all of it's SE value? I have to respectively beg to differ here. But to each his own...

I agree. How many 20 year old boats have thier original interior? Replace it with the original colors, gray with red piping. Have a windshield made, or leave it off, looks good without it. Dash, steering wheel, etc....can be replaced. I actually think this is a good candidate for a restoration. Plus, the 18 Testa, from what I understand, was the least produced compared to the Minx and 22. I think it has alot of SE value and should be saved......

VetteLT193
12-24-2008, 08:15 AM
In my opinion the gray interior is butt ugly. It should have come with white to start off with. On top of the ugliness issue is the usability issue. The gray is hotter than hell in the sun.

Besides the tank issue the only problem that sticks out to me is the floor panel being white. You would always have to run with carpet or try to match it up somehow.

Donzi Racer
12-24-2008, 11:32 AM
I agree. How many 20 year old boats have thier original interior? Replace it with the original colors, gray with red piping. Have a windshield made, or leave it off, looks good without it. Dash, steering wheel, etc....can be replaced. I actually think this is a good candidate for a restoration. Plus, the 18 Testa, from what I understand, was the least produced compared to the Minx and 22. I think it has alot of SE value and should be saved......

My thoughts exactly. To each his own, but I think the Testa Rossa is one of the most beautiful Donzi's made. Like the newer Aronow edition, something special. I took a day and drove over to see this particular boat. I am still considering it. From what I learned the coast gaurd towed the boat in after the hurricane and when they left it, thigs started missing off it. Lost the windshield, dash, floor & battery panel, & outdrive. The Doctor that owned it did not want it, so the boat was picked up by someone that put it back together as best they could using what parts they could find. That is when the cobra outdrive was put on. The owner that has had it for over 13 years did not know he had a Testa Rossa and just enjoyed his 1st Donzi. He had the engine rebuilt and a brand new cobra outdrive put on. He is just not using the boat much anymore. Now for the gas tank, I don't know much about them but he has run off this tank for all these years and recently after the boat had sat for a long time, everytime he would crank it up and run it for a while, the carb would get gunked up and would take it off and have it rebuilt. After $1200 worth of redoing the carb, his mechanic suggested a removeable tank. Like I said, I am not a gas tank expert, but seems to me the tank could be emptied and cleaned out. It is not leaking from what I was told. I would love to own this boat, just to try and bring it back. SO anyone with idea of where some of the parts it needs ould be found, let me know. The only thing that scares me is the windshield. Is it different than a windshield that would have been used on a normal classic 18? Anyone with questions I could answer let me know and I will try. I think restoring this one would definitely be worth it. MY 2c Tom

Donziweasel
12-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Donzi racer- I agree, I hope you get it. As for being rare, it is VERY rare. I know from past discussions that no more that 8 18 Testa's were made. It should be saved. People have put ALOT more $$$ into less rare Donzi Classics. If you can get it in good shape with a little sweat equity and 5000.00, then this is a great restoration project and you will have a very rare boat.

Donzi Racer
12-24-2008, 11:53 AM

Donziweasel, here is the plan, get this Testa Rossa for around 5k, I will pull it up to AOTH for you, get the 150 hour engine/drive package out and sell it for 2500 to 3000, then sell the trailer for 750, now you have less than $1,000 in a great rare hull w/interior and you go out and have a lightweight smallblock supercharged motor slipped in, w/ blackhawk or bravo drive. Now you got something. At least near as nice and fast as some of the $100,000 Cigs that show up to AOTH. Think of all the money you would save. ha ha Then leave that beautiful Crit alone, well maybe just add a 100-200 hp or so to it. By the way, I think you got a steal on that one. I do not know how the Crits handle with a small block but I loved the way my 22 classic performed with a souped up small block.
I thought you would appreciate me letting you spend some of your money instead of me spending mine. hahahahahahahahahh Of course you know I am kidding but definitely something to give some thought to. Tom

CHACHI
12-24-2008, 11:54 AM
I would guess the windshield was either polished stainless or chromed brass. I betting on the stainless.
Unless you can find another 18 with the same windshield frame and ask real nice to "borrow" it, and then find a real good metalsmith.....I think it would be easier to get the Pope married.

I bent the top frame on my 22 and there were no parts to be had. Even the original manufacturer didn't have parts or were interested in making replacement parts.

I know where there is a 22 S/S windshield and frame but I guessing it worth 3500-4000 dollars perhaps more, the guy knows what he has.

The best solution might be to fit a aluminum frame one from a newer 18 or perhaps fab something up similar to the late model 22's.

Unless you are really lucky, I don't think it will see OE condition again.

Ken

Donziweasel
12-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Donziweasel, here is the plan, get this Testa Rossa for around 5k, I will pull it up to AOTH for you, get the 150 hour engine/drive package out and sell it for 2500 to 3000, then sell the trailer for 750, now you have less than $1,000 in a great rare hull w/interior and you go out and have a lightweight smallblock supercharged motor slipped in, w/ blackhawk or bravo drive. Now you got something. At least near as nice and fast as some of the $100,000 Cigs that show up to AOTH. Think of all the money you would save. ha ha Then leave that beautiful Crit alone, well maybe just add a 100-200 hp or so to it. By the way, I think you got a steal on that one. I do not know how the Crits handle with a small block but I loved the way my 22 classic performed with a souped up small block.
I thought you would appreciate me letting you spend some of your money instead of me spending mine. hahahahahahahahahh Of course you know I am kidding but definitely something to give some thought to. Tom

Would love to, but the Critter has tapped me out for boat $$$$. On the other hand, when I repower the Critter, I would have a nice new 6.2L that could go into it..................:wink:

Donzi Vol
12-24-2008, 12:04 PM
I would love to own this boat, just to try and bring it back. SO anyone with idea of where some of the parts it needs ould be found, let me know.

Oh lord, somebody else please snatch this thing up! :nilly:

Donzi Racer
12-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Cool boat, true project though.. The fuel tank is definitely going to have to come out, your just kidding yourself if you think it can be cleaned..

Be interesting to see where the bidding ends up, but someone is going to have to spend a lot of $$$$ on it to bring it back..

Not sure if I will be the owner or not, after it gets to over $2500 the 1st day on Ebay, but if I do, any ideas of where to find any of the items it will need? Mainly worried about the windshield, but the other items woud be nice to be able to find. Sent an email to the windshield company here in Florida that does the older 22's, hopeing to hear back. If you get a minute Scott, give me your thought process on the fuel tank? Seems lke we ought to come up with a process that would be able to clean out a tank in place and then install a bladder or something to be able to save a tank that has gotten gunked up from leaving bad gas in one. Make my life a lot easier, seems like everyone I get has a gunked up tank from sitting around letting the gas go bad. Oh for a little bottle of Sta-bil. Thanks for any ideas, Tom

gcarter
12-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Tom, your thinking is wrong.
Tanks corrode through from the outside because Donzi didn't protect the tanks. Also the drain pipe running underneath the tank isn't sealed and allows water into the foam.
Ya gotta go into this thing knowing you'll split it.

And everything Poodle said.

Also, it seems awfully shiny.......is it painted?
Hmmmmmmm?

If it's painted, is it even a TR?

Donzi Racer
12-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Tanks corrode through from the outside because Donzi didn't protect the tanks. Also the drain pipe running underneath the tank isn't sealed and allows water into the foam.

Hmmmmmmm?

It is a T R, the boat is not shiny but looks like it could be with a little buffing. More deep than shiny. I have seen early pics of it and it was a T R. Had all the normal T R stuff in or on it. The tank and the windshield is the only things keeping me from jumping earlier, but I always seem to find or fall into the things I need even if it is like finding a needle in a haystack. I am sure it would almost be impossible to find an original T R windshield but even my friend GC knows that sometimes crazy drunks run perfectly good Donzis up on the rocks in the middle of the night and wala, you have a windshield. Hmmm?
My question, not to keep asking dumb questions, is when I have heard of replacing tanks in the past, it is because the tanks are corroding or leaking or whatever. I did not know that the tank had to be replaced because someone left the tank with gas in it for 6 months without sta-bil in it and it got gunked up gas in it. Seems like there would be a lot more splitting top decks off a lot of boats. I know this item is a hammer, but what end do you hold? Hmmmm? Tom

Donzi Racer
12-24-2008, 09:06 PM
OK, you don't have to replace the tank..

LOL Ok thanks a lot. My wife wants to know what is so funny? As I am laughing my A$$ off. What I really want to know is how come so many of us Donzi peoples are sitting here talking bout Donzi's instead of doing what the rest of the world is doing on CHRISTMAS EVE? Everyone of ya'll have a great Holiday! Tom

PS. now then, do I have to replace the windshield? LMAO T

Donzi Vol
12-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Looks to be getting some good bids on ebay. It'll be interesting to see what this little guy will do in the next 8 days!

And granted I'm a novice (compared to you guys), but the last Barrel Back we had was a pain to get running properly because the yahoo had left gasoline in it for 3 years. BUT after refurbishing the carb ($40 and 2 hours of time), draining the gas, and filtering a couple tanks of fresh premium to get all of the nastiness out (and it was indeed nasty), she ran great. The fuel was clear and she purred like a kitten! Thus, I believe this one can be done w/out popping the cap if the description in the ad is accurate.

mattyboy
12-24-2008, 11:26 PM
not sure where these numbers are coming from but according to my research 10 testarosa 18's were produced and about 4 18s of the same setup color and all but not called testarosa ( including the boat on display in the lobby at the Donzi hdqtrs) were also produced.

and IMO this particular boat has changed so much from original the rub rail the windshield, the gray interior I don't care if you don't like the color it was part of the deal. it would take so much $$$$$ to get back to a limited edition condition it doesn't make sense ( even to me and i am a rare classic fanatic)

the lake george 18 testa was a much better deal and ALF changed his mind on selling it and i can't blame him

Donzi Racer
12-25-2008, 12:21 AM
not sure where these numbers are coming from but according to my research 10 testarosa 18's were produced and about 4 18s of the same setup color and all but not called testarosa ( including the boat on display in the lobby at the Donzi hdqtrs) were also produced.

and IMO this particular boat has changed so much from original the rub rail the windshield, the gray interior I don't care if you don't like the color it was part of the deal. it would take so much $$$$$ to get back to a limited edition condition it doesn't make sense ( even to me and i am a rare classic fanatic)

the lake george 18 testa was a much better deal and ALF changed his mind on selling it and i can't blame him

Matty, I agree that Alfs boat is fabulous and worth every bit of his asking price before he changed his mind, bless his heart. You are supposed to keep the good ones, Alf. It is just that there are a lot more people out there right now in this economy that can afford 5k - 7k, but cannot afford the 15k, even if one was available, which it is not. I almost bought Alfs boat before he did, still sick about it. But he has not only kept it in great shape but also has made it even better. My question is, the boats that were the same color in 1988 but not called Testa Rossa's, did they have all the same things that the T R's had? Italian windshield, grey interior, guages, steering wheel ? Just wanting to understand & learn as much as I can about these great looking boats. Remember, I owned a X-18 for 10 years and thought it was an 18 classic. Duh You would think I was doing good to be able to walk around, but you know, I get out of most Tickets by telling the Law Officer that I came from Alabama! They think hell, it is a miracle you got this far BOY! Go ahead. Don't use it in Missisippi though, it don't work worth a damn there. It works great up north though. Thanks, Tom

mattyboy
12-25-2008, 06:20 AM
Tom,
i agree with you and I am not saying this is a bad boat i don't know the over all condition. what I was getting at is to restore back to original condition would mean putting alot of money into a boat with the thought that it is rare. and a good possibility not being able to get it back . someone with the real bug will do it without hesitation. this very well may be a good project platform that when it is done the owner has something special to them and something that not alot of people have. this is the time to get into a project it is a buyers market

I don't know exactly what made a testa a testa I think George Carter has a bill of sale that has that equipment, the itiailian windshield was put on other boats so could there be an all red boat with that windshield maybe?? the gauges?? I know it was an option that cost $$ wonder if you put a non-testa and a testa side by side if you would be able to tell them apart??

hey it is the color of the season, a little big for a stocking stuffer but it would make a nice Christmas gift ;)

Merry Christmas

olredalert
12-25-2008, 09:05 AM
------With apologies to a certain Testarossa 22 owner whos phone calls I much appreciate, whats the big deal with this 18??? Its red,,,OK I get that part! So DONZI chose to make a run of absolutely ordinary 18s in a solid red color to boost the bottom line a bit. Why are some of you considering this as rare??? Good looking, maybe in the eye of the beholder,,,,but rare??? Its not an X18, nor is it a Corsican, or an originally powered big-block 18, something that should be considered rare. This is beginning to sound like a rant so ill quit while I am behind.
------Merry Christmas to all.........Bill S

gcarter
12-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Bill, I agree w/you.
Very ordinary indeed. A color that's guaranteed to fail and need paint. An interior that's absolutely boring.
Monochromatic color schemes seldom work well. Most shapes can't carry it off w/o additional stripes or accents to lengthen it.

When I was looking for a replacement for the Minx, it seemed to boil down to the TR or an F 22. Both in dire need of restoration.
The deciding factor for me was the TR was less expensive and didn't need a trailer like the F 22 did.

I'd still like an F 22 someday though.

Mr X
12-25-2008, 09:38 AM

Hmmmmmmm?

Yes, it has been painted.
I could see where it HAD a deck stripe down the middle under the paint at one time.

DonziJon
12-25-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm thinking it may be painted as well. I guess it's possible that the pictures are poor quality but the "Finish" looks more like weathered paint than weathered RED gelcoat. Maybe even brushed on paint.

My first ride in a Donzi was an 18 TR in September '95 and at that time the decks of that boat were Very faded.. more a pale pink than red.. and not Splotchy looking like this boat. The finish on the transom looks noticeably splotchy. My guess is it's red paint OVER old red gelcoat.

I guess the only real way to see the boat is in person. John

Donzi Vol
12-25-2008, 11:12 AM
I really hope that whomever ends up with this DONZI (aren't they ALL special?) doesn't read this thread. That's all I'm gonna say...

Mr X
12-25-2008, 11:28 AM
I am not guessing by the pictures......
I looked at the boat in person 3 months ago.

Donziweasel
12-25-2008, 01:03 PM
I think the last time this boat was around, we looked at the hin# and determined it was a Testa, but had possibly been painted

Bill and George, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally like the Testa's. I think it is a good color scheme. Is it rare? In the world of 18's, no, but in the world of Special Edition Boats, yes. Only 8 18 Testa's were made.

Take away the fact that it is a Testa, if you could get this boat for 3000.00 to 4000.00, it would be a good candidate for a resto. People have brought classics in much worse shape back from the dead.......

I wish I could afford it, I like it.:wink:

Donzi Racer
12-25-2008, 01:18 PM
I am not guessing by the pictures......
I looked at the boat in person 3 months ago.

Mr. X, would you have been one of the guys that came by that worked or had worked for DONZI that told the owner it was not a TESTA ROSSA? Just curious, because he said that some good ole boys came by from Donzi that wanted to redo a T R and told him the boat was originally blue, & had a stripe down the middle and it was not a Testa Rosa, which it is. Now in fairness, they had not seen the original pictures of the boat or seen the paperwork that the owner found later that showed it was a T R. Not trying to be a a$$, just want to know everything about the boat, in case I end up owning it.

Donzi Vol, don't worry, if I end up with it, I will have read all this before hand. I will be honest, it makes me want it all the more. Maybe it will run the price down. ha ha I just wanted to be fair and give someone a fair shot at it before I grabbed it up. I am curious to see how she does on ebay also. Remember Boats are in the female gender. Tom

Donzi Racer
12-25-2008, 01:39 PM
I think the last time this boat was around, we looked at the hin# and determined it was a Testa, but had possibly been painted

Bill and George, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally like the Testa's. I think it is a good color scheme. Is it rare? In the world of 18's, no, but in the world of Special Edition Boats, yes. Only 8 18 Testa's were made.

Take away the fact that it is a Testa, if you could get this boat for 3000.00 to 4000.00, it would be a good candidate for a resto. People have brought classics in much worse shape back from the dead.......

I wish I could afford it, I like it.:wink:

I already told you, I like the way you think. Maybe way up there where you live, you do not get to see many Donzi's like we didn't before internet. I think it has spoiled some of us and makes us not appreciate some that we ought to. I was introduced to Donzi's at the tender age of 9 and they have a really special place in my heart. Although spoiled by how many of these jewels we have had come thru our hands, there is nothing better than when you introduce someone new to Donzi's and their life seems a little more special after they are aquainted with the Dream Boats. The smiles they show are really something after they take their first rides. Then they want to know how they can get one of these special boats? I just love it. As far as I am concerned, I have not made a mistake yet on any of the Donzi's that I have owned & sold. Hell fire, where is some wood quick? Knock knock knock. ha ha a ha

There was a lady once at an antique show that showed me her bakelite (plastic) looking scarecrow she had pinned to her blouse. She was so proud of it, she told me her husband paid $7500 for it and did Ithink she was crazy? I calmly and simply told her that if she could afford it and really enjoyed it, it was worth anything she had to pay to be happy. This T R is for those of us that cannot afford the very finest at the top price. It is still a Donzi, runs well, is affordable, and there are a bunch more people that can afford this one instead of Alfs Beautifu 15k one. Nice to have his to see what to strive for. Ok that was a bit more than my 2c but what the hell? Tom

Mr X
12-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Mr. X, would you have been one of the guys that came by that worked or had worked for DONZI that told the owner it was not a TESTA ROSSA? Just curious, because he said that some good ole boys came by from Donzi that wanted to redo a T R and told him the boat was originally blue, & had a stripe down the middle and it was not a Testa Rosa, which it is. Now in fairness, they had not seen the original pictures of the boat or seen the paperwork that the owner found later that showed it was a T R. Not trying to be a a$$, just want to know everything about the boat, in case I end up owning it.

Donzi Vol, don't worry, if I end up with it, I will have read all this before hand. I will be honest, it makes me want it all the more. Maybe it will run the price down. ha ha I just wanted to be fair and give someone a fair shot at it before I grabbed it up. I am curious to see how she does on ebay also. Remember Boats are in the female gender. Tom

Yes, that would be me.....and my co-worker Mark.
I have never commented that it was or was not a TR. Only that it has been
re-painted....at least once. Have you seen the boat in person?
I hope you win the ebay auction, it shuold be a fun and straight forward
project.

BUIZILLA
12-25-2008, 02:19 PM
an 18 TR with a Cobra drive, and missing the eyetalian windshield, is nothing more than an 18 without a windshield, with a Cobra drive.... and a painted 18 at that...

*yawn*

Donzi Racer
12-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Yes, that would be me.....and my co-worker Mark.
I have never commented that it was or was not a TR. Only that it has been
re-painted....at least once. Have you seen the boat in person?
I hope you win the ebay auction, it shuold be a fun and straight forward
project.

Yes I have seen it and the reason I didn't jump was all the changes that had to be done to bring it back. But I kept thinking that if someone would have offered me a halfway good looking Donzi that ran a true 60 mph ready to go as far as mechanicals for the 5k range, geez what was I thinking about. The other stuff can be done, as you go while taking your time enjoying the boat. Nothing against my good friend George Carter but he spends much more time with the project than he will ever spend in the seat. And he has to wait and wait before he can even run it the first time. Now when he is finished, WOW what a boat! I just like to enjoy the boat while the restoration is being done, which can be done pretty much on this one. Now if someone up north buys it and puts it into a shop to do everything 1st that is ok but this is FLorida and we can boat almost all year. I really appreciate you not taking offense to my question, I did not mean any. And I have a feeling this TR will not be staying in Florida, with what it is already up to on ebay during the 2 days of Christmas, but who knows. I will say that looking at the viewers on the ad, I cannot believe that almost 1,000 people have looked it over already in less than 48 hours during the Christmas holiday. How many people check into the Donzi Registry within 48 hours? Harbormaster, have we ever had 1000 people on in 48 hours? I don't know, but Wow, that is a lot of lookers. Again, I have gone past my 2c worth. Thanks Mr. X, Tom

Donzi Racer
12-25-2008, 03:33 PM
an 18 TR with a Cobra drive, and missing the eyetalian windshield, is nothing more than an 18 without a windshield, with a Cobra drive.... and a painted 18 at that...

*yawn*

I tried to resist Jim, but I could not. Mr. X when I went to look at this boat, another reason I did not come home with it was it was a TR. I was hoping it was what Jim refers to as a regular classic 18. If it were it would be sitting over here on the east coast right now. I know that sounds crazy but if it were a regular 18, I would have bought the boat for probably 4k, brought it home cleaned the boat up, fixed the spot on the deck, filled the holes from the windshield, fixed the gas tank best I could or installed another one. Wet sanded the finish, paint or gel, who cares on a 1988 regular 18, carpet the interior floor, & put some new tires and wheels on the trailer. It would have looked much as it does today, but much sharper and it would sell easily for $6500 to $8500, maybe a little more. I would have put a few thousand profit in my pocket and away we go looking for Donzi #14. That is if it would have been a regular red 18. Now, when I found out it was a TR, I just could not bring myself to do that to the boat. Being in the antique business, we like to do whatever we can to bring out the natural original beauty in what we see. If I had done that to the boat and put it up for sale, everyone would have wanted to butcher me. Can you believe what he has done to that rare & fine boat? So here I sit waiting, knowing I will not be the one that gets it, and knowing that if I don't, I will never be able to afford Alfs 15k boat when & if he ever does decide to sell it. So like the Soup Nazi says NO TESTA ROSSA FOR YOU!!!! ha ha ha ha ha

As far as I am concerned, this boat needs a windshield, that is all. Everthing else I have or could probably find without too much problem. I have a real nice 350 mag/alpha combo unit sitting around. That would take care of the Cobra drive. wala. I or my family have owned over 25 boats over the years. Only 1 of those had a set of OMC drives on it and we lost a drive the first weekend we had it. So I am a little allergic to anything that says OMC, other than Donzi's. ha ha I do hear good things about the Cobra drives and with less than 150 hours, it has to be good for something. Lots to think about and I do not take it lightly. Nice boat and if I do not end up with it, I hope it goes to someone with the time and $ to make it one of 8 again. Oh yea, it already is one of those. HMMMM!

Just movin Donzis from here to there & racin, I mean enjoying them a little bit in between. Tom

BUIZILLA
12-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Ted passing on it speaks volumes.... :wink: we all try to exceed what only he can accomplish..

olredalert
12-25-2008, 04:43 PM
-------Donzi Racer,,,For some of us, I would include George and myself in this strange group, the journey is the exciting part, not the arrival. Thats not to say the arrival isnt fun as well but that the journey is more fulfilling for us nutcases...........Bill S

cutwater
12-25-2008, 05:14 PM
-------Donzi Racer,,,For some of us, I would include George and myself in this strange group, the journey is the exciting part, not the arrival. Thats not to say the arrival isnt fun as well but that the journey is more fulfilling for us nutcases...........Bill S

I think I find myself in this category many times. :wink:

I picked up my Minx TR for a pretty good price (even has the same power option as this one here) and it has been a fun and rewarding project. The all-red is a great conversation piece at the ramp even though the boat isn't perfect. Regardless of how rare it is or not, a running Donzi for just a few $K... sheesh.

If someone just HAS to restore it, the original VDO Blue Line gauges are still sold ( http://www.marineparts.com/PARTSPAGES/vdo/vdo3.htm ), and the dash from the original TR is a VERY simple layout to have fabricated. New interior, $1500. Windshield, now THERE'S a problem. :nilly:

VetteLT193
12-25-2008, 05:29 PM

I picked up my Minx TR for a pretty good price (even has the same power option as this one here) and it has been a fun and rewarding project. The all-red is a great conversation piece at the ramp even though the boat isn't perfect. Regardless of how rare it is or not, a running Donzi for just a few $K... sheesh.

If someone just HAS to restore it, the original VDO Blue Line gauges are still sold ( http://www.marineparts.com/PARTSPAGES/vdo/vdo3.htm ), and the dash from the original TR is a VERY simple layout to have fabricated. New interior, $1500. Windshield, now THERE'S a problem. :nilly:

I have to agree. A running Donzi for under 10k that doesn't look like total crapola is not an easy find.

Cutwater, gcarter, myself, and a few others have gone down the path of paying less up front and letting the journey happen.... if it runs and looks decent, drive it like you stole it and restore it later.

I think that between cut, carter, and myself we've all gone totally different directions too... and that proves that the path is the new owner's choice. :cool:

gold-n-rod
12-25-2008, 06:23 PM
The "redhead" in this thread would make a great rat rod! When I googled "rat rod" to get an automotive equivalent, I found this pic....... and an amazing story!!!

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj149/10456_album/ratcobradaytona.jpg

Story here:http://www.norcal-saac.org/archive/csx2287.html
Wowie!!!! :nilly::bonk::eek:

Donziweasel
12-25-2008, 07:08 PM
The "redhead" in this thread would make a great rat rod!

Pull the hatch, put a set of straight pipes out of the hatch and pointing backwards. Big lopey cam so it rocks back and forth at idle at the dock, leave the rest alone, hmmmmm.......I kinda like it.

TXDONZI
12-25-2008, 08:32 PM
The "redhead" in this thread would make a great rat rod! When I googled "rat rod" to get an automotive equivalent, I found this pic....... and an amazing story!!!

Far more interesing than the TR saga..... I read about this car some years back when it was first found.

$4 Million...... WOW!!!!! I never knew they were so rare having one myself in the early 70's.

It sold first to the guy that built the Daytona slot cars. I wonder what those little cars are worth? I have one I got for Christmas in the early 70's. How many of those do you think they built?

Donzi Vol
12-25-2008, 08:37 PM

cutwater, I like your thoughts here. Like you and olredalert, I think a project is awesome. Heck, have you seen the triple? Haha. But like your Minx, this 18 Testa is one that somebody could have a blast with WHILE doing the resto. A deal like that for under 10k doesn't come along too often.

Donzi Racer, I know I know. Geez, the more I read this thread and post on it the more I wish I had the $$ to snatch it up myself. But I digress...

Donzi Racer
12-25-2008, 09:13 PM

Now you are making it easier. Thanks for the info. Now for that pesky windshield. T

DonziJon
12-26-2008, 11:27 AM

I seem to remember a Cobra Daytona Coupe catching fire during refueling.....either at Daytona or Sebring back in the early sixties. I think the body was magnesium which burns vigourously. It might have been a Pre-Camm car. Not sure John

Donzi Racer
12-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Ted passing on it speaks volumes.... :wink: we all try to exceed what only he can accomplish..

Looks like I need to follow Ted around & pick up the Donzi's that he passes on. Not trying to be a smart ass but seriously Ted, give me a call next time you go out looking and I will buy the gas and lunch. For you and Mark both. Seems that the ebay TR just sold for almost $8,000. I could use a dozen of those, oh yea, there were only 8 of them made! HMMMM!

Like I said earlier, some of us, including me, have been spoiled by the internet & being in Florida where there seems to be so many nice Donzi's available. We cannot see a bargain when it reaches out and bites us in the ass. Now all I need is a fat checking account where I can get all the bargain Donzi's I see. Nice to see that they seem to be keeping their value in this terrible economy. Tom

Mr X
12-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Looks like I need to follow Ted around & pick up the Donzi's that he passes on. Not trying to be a smart ass but seriously Ted, give me a call next time you go out looking and I will buy the gas and lunch. For you and Mark both. Seems that the ebay TR just sold for almost $8,000. I could use a dozen of those, oh yea, there were only 8 of them made! HMMMM!

Like I said earlier, some of us, including me, have been spoiled by the internet & being in Florida where there seems to be so many nice Donzi's available. We cannot see a bargain when it reaches out and bites us in the ass. Now all I need is a fat checking account where I can get all the bargain Donzi's I see. Nice to see that they seem to be keeping their value in this terrible economy. Tom
I looked at a pretty decent Corsican yesterday.....very cool engine option.
still thinking it over......I will let you know if I pass on it.
Ted

Donzi Vol
12-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Well I certainly hope that the proud new owner will enjoy it. I would like to see a resto on it...maybe they'll get the itch. Way to fight the temptation, Uncle Tom!!:)

Mr X
12-27-2008, 05:23 PM
New owner should be over here asking how to replace the tank shortly...
I bet he will be asking more than that!! :yes:

Donziweasel
12-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Went for 8000.00 on ebay but could have been bought for 5500.00 on here.

I should have bought it and then sold it on ebay.......:wink:

Donzi Racer
12-27-2008, 10:50 PM
I looked at a pretty decent Corsican yesterday.....very cool engine option.
still thinking it over......I will let you know if I pass on it.
Ted

Thanks Ted, burgers & Beer on me. I plan on coming over your side of state in a few days to pick up some stuff at the Marine surplus place there in Sarasota. Tom

Donzi Racer
12-27-2008, 10:54 PM
New owner should be over here asking how to replace the tank shortly...

But Scott, I thought you told me I didn't have to replace the tank? LOL, I know, I know, just kidding. Tom

Donzi Racer
12-27-2008, 11:00 PM
Went for 8000.00 on ebay but could have been bought for 5500.00 on here.

I should have bought it and then sold it on ebay.......:wink:

Gee DW, seems like I suggested something like that with free delivery and everything. Could have sold it before it ever came up for AOTH next May. I just hope the new owners enjoy it 50% as much as I have enjoyed any of mine. They will be WAYYYY ahead of the game. Tom