PDA

View Full Version : The Hedgehog Challenge.......

Donziweasel
12-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Bill is coming to ski in March. I made a challenge. Dinner for all of us is on me IF he can ski from the top of JH Mountain Resort (the most vertical of any ski resort in North America) to the bottom without stopping. Can Bill do it?????

boxy
12-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Absolutely impossible.
There is no amount of dryland training that can replace on-hill time.

Donziweasel
12-22-2008, 07:40 PM
I voted he could do it. 4100 verticle feet, if you take the long route, 7 miles to the bottom. Short route, a very steep mile and a half.

I think I will make him do it. Just gonna ski behind him and prod him in the back with my ski pole.......get along little doggie......:wink:

CJmike
12-22-2008, 07:47 PM
Does dinner include drinks? :drinkbeer:

Donziweasel
12-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Does dinner include drinks?

But of course.....:beer:

BlownCrewCab
12-22-2008, 09:00 PM
I hope we don't hear about Hedgehog Bono. (Hint Hint):frown:

boxy
12-22-2008, 09:23 PM
I'd love to see him do it, and I hope that he does ..... :beer:

But JH is a long way from Ober Gatlinburg.

The first time I went to Blackcomb, I was 27. I was coaching High School racing 2 nights a week, junior racing all weekend, and still running gates myself in a beer league type racing circuit.
I went out to visit 2 buddies who were there working for the season. They kicked my a$$ up and down the mountain for the first couple of days.
The altitude and the vertical just killed my legs. Once we started skiing the Glacier I was OK, short steep chutes gave me a chance to recover.

Like I said, I hope he can do it. Hell I'll even send some $$$ DW's way to cover the first round if he does ... :D :D

The Hedgehog
12-22-2008, 11:00 PM
I'd love to see him do it, and I hope that he does ..... :beer:
But JH is a long way from Ober Gatlinburg.
The first time I went to Blackcomb, I was 27. I was coaching High School racing 2 nights a week, junior racing all weekend, and still running gates myself in a beer league type racing circuit.
I went out to visit 2 buddies who were there working for the season. They kicked my a$$ up and down the mountain for the first couple of days.
The altitude and the vertical just killed my legs. Once we started skiing the Glacier I was OK, short steep chutes gave me a chance to recover.
Like I said, I hope he can do it. Hell I'll even send some $$$ DW's way to cover the first round if he does ... :D :D

Ugh Oh! I thought it was kind of like Gatlinburg with a little more verticle. I am going to be in trouble. So if I fall but don't stop does that count?

I guess that John will document with the Hedge-Cam!

boxy
12-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Ugh Oh! I thought it was kind of like Gatlinburg with a little more verticle. I am going to be in trouble. So if I fall but don't stop does that count?
I guess that John will document with the Hedge-Cam!

Hedge, I wasn't trying to imply that you weren't giving JH the respect it deserves, I know better than that. :D :D

The Hedgehog
12-23-2008, 08:24 AM
The Hedge has better get his butt on the treadmill or else he will be gasping after the first 1/4 mile.

I will have to figure out a nice long route. It has been a while since I have skied anything with over 3,000 feet of vert.

BigGrizzly
12-23-2008, 08:40 AM
I think he can do it if his wife says "If he makes it he will get lucky tonight, if he doesn't he can't use the boat until June 14":)

CJmike
12-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Dinner and drinks. My money is on Hedge.:popcorn:

CHACHI
12-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Seven miles of stem christies, it could be a long day.

But doable.

Ken

boxy
12-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Hedge, I think I still have a pair of Rossi 223 DH boards out in the shed. If you can find the right trail, they maybe the ticket ....

7 miles 14 turns Dinner :beer:

Donziweasel
12-23-2008, 09:47 AM
First, Bill, we got another foot last night. That is over 2 ft in 48 hours. Calling for 2-3 more feet Christmas day.

Second, there is no way we are taking the 7 mile Green run to the bottom. At least we will do blues.

Bill, look online for info on the Hobacks. I think you will be smiling from ear to ear when you read about them. If it is a powder, this run is world famous and one of the best 4000ft powder runs on the planet.

The Hedgehog
12-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Hedge, I think I still have a pair of Rossi 223 DH boards out in the shed. If you can find the right trail, they maybe the ticket ....
7 miles 14 turns Dinner :beer:

That would be perfect. Maybe de-wax the bottoms too:hangum:

The Hedgehog
12-23-2008, 10:03 AM
I was thinking about starting at Corbet's Cabin. Then dropping Corbet's Couloir (maybe hitting a quick helicopter on the drop in), funneling into Tensleep then rounding down into Pair-a chutes, taking a cool off in the Ampitheatre and then hammering down Avalanche. From there I plan to take the rest of Sundance in a full tuck. :popcorn:

The Hedgehog
12-23-2008, 10:05 AM
Holy smokes, I just looked at the mountain cam from Corbet's cabin!:cool:

roadtrip se
12-23-2008, 10:22 AM
and it has about 3200. I could do it in one long blast most of the time, but the problem was staying vertical.

On occassion, I would have to stop to have a garage sale and that can take it out of you.

Fortunately, there was always the great southwest chile cooking and local microbeer down in the village to put it back together for the next day.

Bill, think Stairmaster....

Donziweasel
12-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Todd, he will be here from March 14-21, and we have room. Want to show us how it is done???:wink:

Ahhhhh.....Corbets. The most famous ski run on the planet. Been 7 years since I dropped into Corbets. 20-30 ft drop into a huge chute, ooops, watch out for the rock in the middle.

I will try and explain Jackson Hole. Our blues are like most resorts blacks, our blacks are like most resorts double blacks, our double blacks are like nothing you have ever seen before. And then you have Corbets, which is in a league by itself. Most resorts have signs saying "closed cliffs". We have signs saying "caution Cliffs". If you feel like it, go for it. We are also the only resort in the US with a full time out of bounds policy, you can ski out of bounds anytime you want. Look online for Rock Springs Bowl, one of my favorite out of bounds runs.

Don't get me wrong, JH has plenty of beginning and intermediate skiing also, but for if you are looking for extreme terrain, you can not beat JH!:wink:

The Hedgehog
12-23-2008, 10:42 AM
and it has about 3200. I could do it in one long blast most of the time, but the problem was staying vertical.
On occassion, I would have to stop to have a garage sale and that can take it out of you.
Fortunately, there was always the great southwest chile cooking and local microbeer down in the village to put it back together for the next day.
Bill, think Stairmaster....

I have been doing some work in New Mexico. I want to hit Taos sometime. A bunch of the guys I work with get to go up to Taos. For them it is in inconvenience. I am thinking that they are missing out BIG TIME.

Lot's of stairmaster for me!

The Hedgehog
12-23-2008, 10:57 AM
I was kind of thinking a longer version of Squaw Valley and Alta with a more dramatic look. Both of those simply show the cliffs as hazards but if it is not roped off, you can drop it.

Squaw does not show any runs as double black. I think that probably makes for some pretty freaked out skiiers from time to time. I could imagine being one that thinks they are pretty important because you can ski some black groomers at Vail then taking the Squaw lift to Granite Chief where all runs start with a cornice drop. Or maybe even finding yourself on the Nose off KT-22. I have seen skiers on both that just looked like they wanted to go home.

boxy
12-23-2008, 11:36 AM
DW and Hedge talking about Corbett's .....
2F0c2ZfYrUY

roadtrip se
12-23-2008, 11:58 AM
I have been doing some work in New Mexico. I want to hit Taos sometime. A bunch of the guys I work with get to go up to Taos. For them it is in inconvenience. I am thinking that they are missing out BIG TIME.
Lot's of stairmaster for me!

Work should NEVER get in the way of something like this, especailly if tickets are paid for. Think of it as a warm-up for the trip north. BTW the summit is a little over 12,300, so it would be great training for the DW Challenge Event!

Thanks for the invite Jon, Merry Christmas. Might just take you up on that there offer. We could have stretcher races!

Donziweasel
12-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Article on Corbets in USA Today- America's scariest run. Also, a couple of pics of the most famous ski run in the world.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2007-02-01-jackson-hole-forbes_x.htm

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/johnnyalltrans/travel-graphics-200_429472a.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/johnnyalltrans/corbets_couloir.jpg

Donziweasel
12-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Bill, you mentioned Tensleep Bowl. Great powder bowl. On of my favorite things to do is get off Sublette, ski to Tensleep, park it under Corbets and have lunch. Corbets is one of the great spectator sports in the world. I say 9 out of 10 who drop in blow up. These are not usual blow ups, they are spectacular! Watching a yard sale in Corbets is one of lifes great pleasures.:wink:

Bill, you game????

Brian, don't think I didn't see you looking at this thread.:)

The Hedgehog
12-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Bill, you mentioned Tensleep Bowl. Great powder bowl. On of my favorite things to do is get off Sublette, ski to Tensleep, park it under Corbets and have lunch. Corbets is one of the great spectator sports in the world. I say 9 out of 10 who drop in blow up. These are not usual blow ups, they are spectacular! Watching a yard sale in Corbets is one of lifes great pleasures.:wink:
Bill, you game????
Brian, don't think I didn't see you looking at this thread.:)

I am game. I have dropped a chute or two but pretty sure I have no business on Corbets. Unless it involves a horse and a bong. :woot: I will gladly watch from your lunch spot. I am all about Tensleep bowl and a foot or so of powder.

Donziweasel
12-23-2008, 12:52 PM
I don't launch Corbets anymore, it seems the older I get, I seem to break instead of bend........:wink:

SilverBack
12-29-2008, 04:03 AM
Bill...What in the world have you gotten yourself into???? After you get back from this trip breaking 100 in the ZX will be a cake walk!! Good Luck!!!

The Hedgehog
12-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Bill...What in the world have you gotten yourself into???? After you get back from this trip breaking 100 in the ZX will be a cake walk!! Good Luck!!!

I am not sure:shocking: I do know not to talk too much smack with a local like John or he will take me to a part of the mountain where I could get spanked!

osur866
12-29-2008, 01:28 PM
:idea: Note to self, buy a big life insurance policy on the Hedge before said challenge. Bill good luck with the training, Steve

Tony
12-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Seven miles of stem christies, it could be a long day.

Leave it to you, Ken, to use a term I haven't heard in about 40 years!

Too funny...

:beer:

Air 22
12-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Strap on some O2 and grit the THIGH BURN:yes:...Good Luck:beer::thumbsup:

Last Real Texan
12-29-2008, 05:14 PM
:idea: Note to self, buy a big life insurance policy on the Hedge before said challenge. Bill good luck with the training, Steve
Just bought this policy today....now get after it Bill, I need the money, oh by the way can I have the Marinette when it is all said and done?

Tex

The Hedgehog
12-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Just bought this policy today....now get after it Bill, I need the money, oh by the way can I have the Marinette when it is all said and done?
Tex

I am sure that you will have your own version of Roller Girl soon enough.

Stem Christies? I have not heard that since the late 70's. I did pass a ski class and they were talking about pizza wedge turns. I try to avoid the plow. If I don't get on the treadmill some more I will be side sliding down.

The Hedgehog
12-29-2008, 05:32 PM

My agent called, wanted to know who this Steve guy was. Evidently the reinsurers think that there is some kind of a dead pool out on me!:bonk: