PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Conversion - Santa Came Early

RedDog
12-22-2008, 12:57 PM
I know several here won't understand why, but I like it.

I have had an AR for for several years set up as a varmint / bench rest shooter. It had a 22" SS bull barrel. It was so awkward / heavy it just wasn't really fun to shoot. Santa came early this year and brought some parts to reconfigure. Photo 1 is the before. The others are the some of the parts and final configuration. That is a zero magnification holographic site - pretty slick. Collapsible butt stock, free float hand guard, 16 inch SS barrel with 1 in 8 twist and flash hider.

BUIZILLA
12-22-2008, 01:08 PM
all that for a rabbit ? :eek: :biggrin:

must be a pretty clever hare..

Rootsy
12-22-2008, 01:37 PM
I have had an AR for for several years set up as a varmint / bench rest shooter. It had a 22" SS bull barrel. It was so awkward / heavy it just wasn't really fun to shoot. Santa came early this year and brought some parts to reconfigure. Photo 1 is the before. The others are the some of the parts and final configuration. That is a zero magnification holographic site - pretty slick. Collapsible butt stock, free float hand guard, 16 inch SS barrel with 1 in 8 twist and flash hider.

Modularity rocks... :kingme:

RedDog
12-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Modularity rocks... :kingme:

Exactly what I was thinking as I wrote the post

Rootsy
12-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Exactly what I was thinking as I wrote the post

I have one of those generic reflex sights, just as you have on your AR. Mine is a BSA or Barska or something... Have it mounted on my 10/22 right now... No matter what the name they are all the same, some just have different reticle options, etc. Fun at close range... Especially while moving and shooting... If you switch reticles on the knob you'll find that the tolerances are sloppy enough that your POA is inconsistent, even when going to the original reticle. Fun toy to play with though.

I have been thinking of making a mount so that I can clamp it to my bow... I think it'd be the cat's ass for indoor league and 3D courses..

Rootsy
12-22-2008, 02:32 PM
complete AR upper 22 lr or 22 lr bolt carrier assy... ... applicable magazine.... more or less 2 pins and or swap the carrier / bolt assy and away ya go...

AR15.com.... for research...

Brownells.com offers the bolt carrier group setup... No idea how it ranks.. see source above this... http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=27008&title=CMMG%20AR-15/M16%20.22%20LR%20CONVERSION%20KIT

apollo24
12-22-2008, 03:22 PM
And while we are on the gun-nut thread- :)

Any idea what a pre-ban Colt AR-15 "Delta?" model (scope, match grade barrel?, carry case, fired maybe 15 times max at poachers) is worth these days? I have no idea. Is there still a hot market for these types of guns? They are fun to shoot, I have to admit.

apollo24
12-22-2008, 04:46 PM
If it a true Delta, 16 -2400. Tasco scope, nothing exciting there, different cheekpiece. There were many clones out there, the S/N would tell if it is a true Delta.. Fired, towards the lower end of the scale...

I took it to the gun sho' and they confirmed that it was a delta model. I figured it might be worth around $1200 but I had heard possibly a little more. I got it in trade for a small sailboat. I never realized until I was there how many AR-15 builders there were! Yeah- Tasco scope. I always considered that a cheap scope and wondered why they'd put it on a Colt.

Air 22
12-22-2008, 09:13 PM

VERY VERY NICE....:yes::cool: IM SCOPING MY WAY OUT TO 300YDS..THEN 800YDS ONE DAY 1600+....:shades:
WATCH THIS.... JUST HOW FAR THESE R IS INCREDIBLE.....1600+yds dang :yes: awwwwwsome shot!:eek::yes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX4aqmbaGIo&feature=related

RedDog
12-23-2008, 07:09 AM
I have one of those generic reflex sights, just as you have on your AR. Mine is a BSA or Barska or something... Have it mounted on my 10/22 right now... No matter what the name they are all the same, some just have different reticle options, etc. Fun at close range... Especially while moving and shooting... If you switch reticles on the knob you'll find that the tolerances are sloppy enough that your POA is inconsistent, even when going to the original reticle. Fun toy to play with though.
I have been thinking of making a mount so that I can clamp it to my bow... I think it'd be the cat's ass for indoor league and 3D courses..

I hate to hear that - it is an Osprey International. Cost about $70. So your saying I'm going to have to spend some real money on an Aimpoint or EO Tech? What is the best value out there?

apollo24
12-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Chatted with a friend who is more in the know about that Delta. He faxed me a page from his used gun guide:

Sporter Match Delta H-Bar (M6600DH/6601DH) Similiar to AR-15A2 H-Bar except has 3-9x rubber armored variable scope, removeable cheek piece, adj. scope mount and leather sling. Aluminum cased, Mfg 1987 - 1991

100% 1300
98% 1100
95% 995
90% 825
80% 750
70% 695
60% 650

I "Might" be interested, and if not I know someone else who might be. Ship to FLL etc no issues, or pickup @ AOTH :) :) Figure out if and how much, let me know please.

I got offered $1700 for it at the local gunshop, even though I don't think I will sell it. Sounds like the used gun guide needs an update- but NADA said that my Donzi is worth $778 last time I checked. :lookaroun:

Looks like everyone is getting ready for the war down here. I may get out of boats and become an arms dealer- paranoia sells, I suppose. I should have bought a crate of those (blow up in your hands) AK-47's 15 years ago when they were $150! Geez.

JimG
12-23-2008, 03:59 PM
'Poodle, get a Ciener kit. I love mine. I even compete in .22 plate matches with it. Shoots great, very accurate in both of my RRA's. Never jammed yet... Best thing, you can leave your rifle in the same config as .223 (sights, sight radius, weight, etc), and get tons of trigger time. And it's only $150 or so...

Rootsy
12-24-2008, 08:26 AM
'Poodle, get a Ciener kit. I love mine. I even compete in .22 plate matches with it. Shoots great, very accurate in both of my RRA's. Never jammed yet... Best thing, you can leave your rifle in the same config as .223 (sights, sight radius, weight, etc), and get tons of trigger time. And it's only $150 or so...

May want to make sure ceiner is still making those kits... According to Brownells the setup was dropped by the factory.

JimG
12-24-2008, 08:28 AM
http://www.22lrconversions.com/

I think CMMG is making some too...

RedDog
12-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Could try the Ciener website for a direct purchase - http://www.22lrconversions.com/

They have conversions for 1911s too!