PDA

View Full Version : Hull Angle

Sweet16
12-22-2008, 10:36 AM
no luck on the search so I hope I can get an answer here

I'm putting new bunks on my trailer and I want to cut the top edge to give an angle to meet the hull better I have a '98 sweet 16' and I am going to use 2x6 standing on edge and was thinking of either putting a another 2x6 or 2x4 along the top edge at an angle to form a T or 2 2x6 side by side with the angle cut into to them to match the hull there by giving a larger footprint.

Thanks

Lenny
12-22-2008, 10:49 AM
24 degrees at the transom but much greater towards the bow. Like that "helps" :rolleyes:

I would bolt two pieces of wood together so you create a 24" protractor and then get under the boat and measure the transom hull angle, tighten the bolt and scribe/transfer that onto a 4 x 6 :eek: , then measure forward about 2 feet and do the same thing and two more feet and two more feet and two more feet. Once you transfer/saw this into the boards I would break it out with a chisel the take a power plane to the entire length and make the transitions smooth and flowing. If I didn't have 2 feet of snow outside I would provide the measurements for you but I do not feel like laying on my back in it just now ;)

http://www.dynapod.com/protractor2.jpg

Sweet16
12-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Lenny

Thanks for the reply and I wont rub it in about me going out on the boat the past 3 days :pimp: thanks for the info and idea for the on the protractor

Lenny
12-22-2008, 05:00 PM
You're lucky I was snowed in another day so finding a "purpose" to stay alive one more day was fun :D Got my digital measuring stuff out.

The hull angles at 2' centers is exact. The distances from the hull centerline to the OUTSIDE of the strakes is within an 1/8" + or - .

Enjoy. Make this and it will fit like a GLOVE. :yes:

Also, here are the heights for the supports as measured from the keel as a horizontal plane. I would build it like this as shown and add the taper in width so that they sit directly underneath the strakes, inner and outer. ( + - an 1/8" :D )

Sweet16
12-23-2008, 10:26 AM
Lenny,

Thanks for the pics I should get to work on it this thursday I'm also going to reuse the bunks I have now along more of the keel to help center it when pulling out of the water and extra support I know the hull has a little hook would it be ok to eextend the new bunks an inch or so beyond the transom or should I try to get it as even as possible? It look to me as though the hook is closer to the gunwal.

once again BIG THANKS on the pics

Antonio

Lenny
12-23-2008, 11:08 AM
The hook is only at the gunwhale. You won't have support out there. Don't worry about it. I would let the bunks extend an 1" or so past the transom, no biggy. Just not stopping before.

I have always wondered if "plastic wood" could be heated and bent over a jig to lay on the flat and create nice curved, angled support that will not rot... ?

I like Poodles idea for support placement and orientation BETTER than what we normally see... :yes: (the vertical carpet covered beams)