PDA

View Full Version : What is needed to go from SBC to BBC???

Donziweasel
12-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Just wondering what I would have to do to switch from a SBC to BBC? Do I have to modify the stringers, motor mounts? Will the drive line up?

BUIZILLA
12-21-2008, 05:57 PM
don't you read your PM's??

or is it too cold to open that file? :eek:

Donziweasel
12-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Didn't get it. ?????? Can you resend?

I am feezing my ass off. I think it has been under 15 degrees for a week staight. Been snowing everyday, calling for 18 inches tonight........:confused:

mrfixxall
12-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Alot more then you would think:wink: hold off till spring,ck this out and you will see what me and buiz were thinking.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/hotnews/0810phr_lsx_crate_motors/photo_01.html

Conquistador_del_mar
12-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Just wondering what I would have to do to switch from a SBC to BBC? Do I have to modify the stringers, motor mounts? Will the drive line up?

John,
They mount up the same using the same engine mounts and bell housing with the same spacing, etc. They do have different heights and obviously the exhausts are different. Bill

BUIZILLA
12-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Didn't get it. ?????? Can you resend?

I am feezing my ass off. I think it has been under 15 degrees for a week staight. Been snowing everyday, calling for 18 inches tonight........:confused:i'm not typing that diatribe again... call me tomorrow :yes:

Choprpilot
12-21-2008, 11:30 PM
Been there and did it 2 summers ago with a whole lot of cash. I now have a sleeper, well not exactly, thats very, very fast.

Lenny
12-22-2008, 12:44 AM
calling for 18 inches tonight

That is what I told Deneen she had coming , but I don't think she buys it ... :(

:D

Mr X
12-22-2008, 06:15 AM
The engine mounts will NOT be in the same location on the stringers.
The BBC mounts will be farther forward.

VetteLT193
12-22-2008, 06:58 AM
I think the best bang for the buck will be a procharger.

Going from SB to BB adds up really quick. Even if you get a ready to run engine there are all kinds of odds and ends to deal with that will nickle and dime you to death. I added it up for my boat not long ago, my brother offered me his old 454 for basically free. I got about half way through the parts list and realized that if I really want more power it would be much easier and cheaper to just procharge.

Conquistador_del_mar
12-22-2008, 09:50 AM
The engine mounts will NOT be in the same location on the stringers.
The BBC mounts will be farther forward.

I stand corrected. Do you know the difference in measurements between the bell housing and engine mounts on the BBC vs SBC? In other words, how much farther forward are the engine mounts on the BBC? Also, what is the total difference in length? Thanks, Bill

Air 22
12-22-2008, 09:57 AM

Simple...A BIGGER CHECKBOOK to start with...after that its all downhill...:biggrin.:.... "Just Do It...":yes:

Madcow
12-22-2008, 10:18 AM
104 to 152 cubic inches.

mjw930
12-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Alot more then you would think:wink: hold off till spring,ck this out and you will see what me and buiz were thinking.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/hotnews/0810phr_lsx_crate_motors/photo_01.html

Hmm, a 454 "small block"........ Tasty

Air 22
12-22-2008, 11:05 AM

Is the BBC going into a 16? or 18? will the weight diff be a problem vs just procharging or simliar? Comming off plane and water over the transom?
Weight and Balance....ie will the boat trim correctly with a BBC @ higher speeds?...just questions to ponder...:bonk::wink: I'm sure several have completed such a venture with varied results..:pimp:...

cutwater
12-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Is the BBC going into a 16? or 18? will the weight diff be a problem vs just procharging or simliar? Comming off plane and water over the transom?
Weight and Balance....ie will the boat trim correctly with a BBC @ higher speeds?...just questions to ponder...:bonk::wink: I'm sure several have completed such a venture with varied results..:pimp:...

I'm betting it's 22' :wink:

Air 22
12-22-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm betting it's 22' :wink:

Ohhhh...riiiight the Crit...Thanks:bonk::wink:

BigGrizzly
12-22-2008, 04:50 PM
I am staying out of this.

Donziweasel
12-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Air, yep, Critter.....I wish I had bought the other blue motor with you.

That's all I am going to say for now.:wink: Too many people were saying leave it alone or stay with the SBC. That is simply not what I want. It's all good. I have found my engine and in it goes.......:)

VetteLT193
12-23-2008, 06:48 AM
Air, yep, Critter.....I wish I had bought the other blue motor with you.
That's all I am going to say for now.:wink: Too many people were saying leave it alone or stay with the SBC. That is simply not what I want. It's all good. I have found my engine and in it goes.......:)

you gotta do what you gotta do. cost-benefit doesn't always apply... they are Donzi's after all. Plus:

There is nothing like the sound of a Big Block.

Donziweasel
12-23-2008, 07:11 AM
There is nothing like the sound of a Big Block.

:):):):)

BigGrizzly
12-23-2008, 09:36 AM
Hell I just changed my mind about staying out of this. The Criterion never came with a small block and I think it should never have one. The Criterion s are a special boat and should remain as designed to a point. A boat is like a life the way you live it and the way you do things, its personal. My only mandate is it needs to be safe. That is why you must put full hydraulic steering on it with anything at 70 mph or higher,:yes: If someone on this board is foolish enough to argue the point I will challenge them to a Saturday afternoon on lake Lanier in the same size boat and power as mine, without hydraulic steering, to a lake race, 20 miles down to the dam from Brown's bridge.:wink: As most know I never make a bet with my mouth that my butt can't cover.

Donziweasel
12-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Thanks for seeing my side Randy, and I agree 100%. I just know I won't be happy with the 6.2L, even with a Whipple. Best I could hope for is high 60's. Don't worry, hydraulic double ram steering is in the works as well. As with my company, safety is number 1. :wink:

zelatore
12-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Oh sure, start talking about hydraulic steering packages and your tag line goes away. In case anybody forgot it:

'We skimp on saftey and pass the savings on to you!'

I liked that one...

BTW, having just done a Zieger on my boat, I'd recomend it, at least from an installation point of view. Haven't had a chance to drive the thing yet. :garfield:

BigGrizzly
12-23-2008, 10:00 AM
We need to talk! Btw the steering is a speed enhancer a proven fact. No tail wag.