PDA

View Full Version : Pop-up Cleats..?

fogducker III
12-21-2008, 04:32 PM
May I please ask for some advice on selection, placement and installation of pop-up cleats?

I definately need a set of cleats somewhere "mid ship", I am thinking just forward of the windshield corner upright and pop-ups so when not in use they are out of the way........?

Can somebody suggest a make,style and size?

When I install how is best to cut the hole? Should I masking tape the surface, trace the cutout, drill a starting hole and then jig-saw....or???

I can not cut from underneath, no room to fit a saw in there...:confused:

I am worried when I cut I might "chip" the gelcoat/fiberglass....:frown:

BTW. This is on my 18C, thanks for any ideas. :)

CHACHI
12-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Jeremy, I installed Attwood 6" PULL UP Neat Cleats on my 22.
Real easy install, drilled 2-7/8" inch holes and the cleat dropped in.
You have to be able to get behind the holes to install the backing plate/washers and tighten up the nuts.

Mounted mine just behind the windshield corner. Sorry no pics.

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/products/parts.asp?productid=950&path=marine&category=6&gtype=1&group=1&subgroup=0&categoryname=Marine+Hardware&typename=Cleat&headername=Marine+Hardware

Ken

DonziJon
12-21-2008, 06:29 PM
I don't have Pop Up cleats on my Minx...BUT the 6" cleats I added foreward of the cockpit are within my reach while standing up in the cockpit. Never use the lifting eye up foreward for tying up. John

fogducker III
12-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Jeremy, I installed Attwood 6" PULL UP Neat Cleats on my 22.
Real easy install, drilled 2-7/8" inch holes and the cleat dropped in.
You have to be able to get behind the holes to install the backing plate/washers and tighten up the nuts.

Mounted mine just behind the windshield corner. Sorry no pics.

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/products/parts.asp?productid=950&path=marine&category=6&gtype=1&group=1&subgroup=0&categoryname=Marine+Hardware&typename=Cleat&headername=Marine+Hardware

Ken

Thanks Ken, I sure like the lines of those....... so when you drilled did you tape? Or no problems with chipping...?

fogducker III
12-21-2008, 06:48 PM
I don't have Pop Up cleats on my Minx...BUT the 6" cleats I added foreward of the cockpit are within my reach while standing up in the cockpit. Never use the lifting eye up foreward for tying up. John

Your right John, that is why I am looking at installing these, tired of trying to reach the forward lifting eye...:nilly:

HOWARD O
12-21-2008, 06:53 PM
To prevent chipping, I've always had good luck running the bit in reverse just long enough that you begin to "score" the hole. Once scored, drill as normal.

fogducker III
12-21-2008, 07:01 PM
To prevent chipping, I've always had good luck running the bit in reverse just long enough that you begin to "score" the hole. Once scored, drill as normal.

Awesome tip!!!!!!

I seriously never would have thought of that........thanks. I do like the idea of the cleats with just the two round holed instead of the style that needs an oval or almost a square cut to mount....:yes:

mike o
12-21-2008, 07:13 PM
foggy, here ya go.:wink:http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47737

fogducker III
12-21-2008, 07:37 PM
foggy, here ya go.:wink:http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47737

Thans mike o, but when I click the link it says I don't have site permission to view.......???:garfield:

Lenny
12-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Jeremy. I have a FULL brandy new set of Pop Ups (ACCON, the good ones) for an 18. 4 cleats and a pop-up bow light.

Brand spanken new and installed on nothing...

mike o
12-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Thans mike o, but when I click the link it says I don't have site permission to view.......???:garfield:... funny I just did it, to make sure the pics where still up and they were??? try clearing ya cookies on ya compu-ter.

mike o
12-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Jeremy. I have a FULL brandy new set of Pop Ups (ACCON, the good ones) for an 18. 4 cleats and a pop-up bow light.

Brand spanken new and installed on nothing... FOGGY, I think you got lenny in the santa swap. Boy are you lucky, nice timing:)

Ghost
12-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Awesome tip!!!!!!

I seriously never would have thought of that........thanks. I do like the idea of the cleats with just the two round holed instead of the style that needs an oval or almost a square cut to mount....:yes:

Just piling on--I have only drilled about 10 holes in my boat, but I started by taping, then did a small pilot, and always start by running the bit backwards first. There may be better ways, but so far so good for me.

fogducker III
12-21-2008, 08:06 PM

Brand spanken new and installed on nothing...

SOLD............:yes:

I seriously would like them if you are willing to part with them?

I was working on the boat today and leaning in the engine hatch, tried to extract myself and almost lost my left nut....:eek:

So the stern fixed cleats are gone and while i am at it might as well do the mid ship ones..........and what the hell, bow light as well....:)

fogducker III
12-21-2008, 08:08 PM
FOGGY, I think you got lenny in the santa swap. Boy are you lucky, nice timing:)

I hope Lenny likes smoked whale blubber.......:rolleyes:

zelatore
12-21-2008, 08:12 PM
FWIW, I believe the popup cleats I put on my 22 were Attwoods. I installed two just fwd of the base of the windshield and replaced my stock rear cleats with the pop-ups. The base on the pop-ups was just a little too small to cover the holes from the 4 mounting screws of the stock cleats.

Nothing too bad - I filled the holes with white silicon until I had the boat over at my 'glass guy for a number of little jobs and had him fix it right at that time.

Lenny
12-21-2008, 08:14 PM
I hope Lenny likes smoked whale blubber.......:rolleyes:

God damn, I am smoking some right now ;)

Jamie, if you use taper bits you can drill anything till the cows come home and NEVER have a glass/hole problem. :yes: For the cleats, I use a router and a template. FLAWLESS installation. :yes:

We'll talk. I bought these when "our" dollar was about $.61 US :rolleyes:

:D

Lenny
12-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Here is a pic. ( you are "lucky" I am snowed in, otherwise I would NOT have the time to play Digital Camera man for a day) ... :rolleyes: :D :D :D

fogducker III
12-21-2008, 08:41 PM
God damn, I am smoking some right now ;)

I find it hard to light at times....:eek:

We'll talk. I bought these when "our" dollar was about $.61 US :rolleyes:

:D

Ouch... :frown:

Some time later tonight when you are next out walking the dog can you swing by with them? J/K.....:wink:

Those are ideal, I am sure we can work out something. Thanks Lenny, I appreciate it.

boxy
12-21-2008, 08:57 PM
It is the Holiday Season and therefore a time for reminiscing about past adventures with friends and family old and new.
Pour yourself a fresh cup of 'Nog and take in this story, lovingly told by his future wife, about a long time Donzi.net member who on this particular day would have given his left %$# for a pop up cleat.
In fact he almost did..... :D :D

Sorry Randy, it's just too much fun not to share....

Story found in my personal archives. I knew that I kept everything for a reason! Sorry, honey!
"Okay, okay, I have one.
I will preface this story by saying that I think this whole thing was premeditated by my Fiancée in an attempt to have some sort of story telling leverage for the future. I believe this because she IS the one who bought me the dreaded kevlar (or whatever the hell that material was) swimming trunks AND suggested we go out that day. I still blame her.
A few summers ago, I took Donzi Jenn out on our family's Chapparral 1930SS. At the time, I lived with my folks who have a beautiful home situated on a private lake in Commerce, MI. It was a weekday, after work, and it was always nice to come home from a long day and head out to the sandbar to relax for a bit.
Out in the middle of the lake was a nice little sandbar spot that was perfect for sitting and swimming. After pitching the anchor overboard from the open bow. I decided to hop into the knee-deep water to pull the anchor out a bit and set it by hand. As I swung one leg over the front of the bow and began to swing over the other to hop out, I lost my balance and began to tumble overboard. (This is where the story gets good.) While tumbling overboard my new, super-strong, *kevlar* bathing suit got hooked on the forward bow cleat. Although it ripped considerably, the *kevlar* now had a very firm hold of the cleat and was not even close to letting me go. It was effortlessly holding up my entire body weight with no problem. To illustrate further, the suit ripped in such a way that it was basically a ring of material with one end hooked around the cleat and the other between my legs, flossing my ass. (Damn those thru-bolted cleats.)
So I'm hanging there, over the front of this boat, bathing suit strung up through my ass, with my pecker and clockweights hanging out flying in the breeze, swinging around cause my feet are still off the ground.
I hung there for no less than ten to fifteen minutes trying to free myself, all the while, fisherman and wakeboarders are cruising by checking out the situation (or my package, or the lack thereof). Here I am, with nothing really to hold on to and neither Jenn nor I were strong enough to pull me back into the boat. I couldn't get any leverage with my feet since the slippery hull at the bow of a V bottom heads under the boat. I tried feverishly to tear the material hooked around the cleat all the while looking like a fish trying to escape from the hook in its mouth. All this effort seemed to be for nothing, so I got mad. I yelled at Jenn for not being strong enough to pull all 250lbs of me in. I wriggled and fought for what seemed to be an eternity. I think I was about to cry.
Finally, just as Jenn was getting ready to fire up the boat and take us home so we could get something to cut me free, I had a vision of having to idle all the way down the canal, in front of all the homes, hanging basically naked off the front of this boat. I rejected that thought and in a last ditch attempt, I managed to get enough strength to miraculously un-hook myself and fall to my knees in the water. Let me just point out that I have NEVER been overcome with such a feeling of relief in my entire 28 years on this planet. I quickly recovered while in the water, boarded the boat (from the swim platform of course) and got the hell out of there. Fortunately, I only suffered for a day or so from a bruised ego and some purple coconuts. "
That was entirely worth it!

zimm17
12-21-2008, 10:09 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50273&highlight=pop+cleats

I second Acron 6" pop-ups. Very high quality. Buy a roto-zip tool and a bag of bits. Well worth the $75 to cut those holes out. I used a new bit per hole. Here's where I located mine- I can put the dock lines on and off from inside the cockpit- no more climbing on the bow.

fogducker III
12-21-2008, 11:07 PM

I second Acron 6" pop-ups. Very high quality. Buy a roto-zip tool and a bag of bits. Well worth the $75 to cut those holes out. I used a new bit per hole. Here's where I located mine- I can put the dock lines on and off from inside the cockpit- no more climbing on the bow.

Yup, I think that is the way to go, all I have to do now is wait until Lenny and I dig ourselves out of this white stuff.......:frown:

zimm17
12-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Oh yeah, lay down a lot of blue masking tape over the area, then draw on your pattern they give you with the cleats. Then re-measure 3 times prior to cutting.

Lenny
12-22-2008, 12:34 AM
I have a template, Medite, and a pattern bit (router) Just figure out the "length location, and slide this along the gunwhale, two light padded clamps, a bit of 22,000 rpm noise, 30 seconds later, PERFECT, PERFECT, PERFECT holes. :yes:

No worries, just cut.

Conquistador_del_mar
12-22-2008, 01:01 AM

I used the same style Acron cleats but they call for an odd hole. I now use an electric die grinder with a straight router bit that has a cutting end. You can plunge down and follow the outline, but you better be wearing eye protection. The 10,000+ RPM router bit cuts through decks or anything else that is fiberglass like it was butter. By the way, I believe Rex or Eddie's has the bezels for those cleats if you need to cover the existing holes that might be close enough for the bezels to cover them. Bill

http://www.eddiemarine.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=219

zimm17
12-22-2008, 08:32 AM
And if you don't have a router, I recommend the roto-zip. Great tool for the money. I don't use my dremel tool anymore after this thing. It's basically a dremel on steroids with a 5 amp motor. I got mine at home depot, but here's the small one for $59.

http://www.toolsforless.com/product/29312/Rotozip_RZ01-1300_Electric_Spiral_Saw

They make more expensive models, but for just cutting out things, it works great.