PDA

View Full Version : Don't laugh... DONZI heater ...

Lenny
12-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Foks, those with larger boats and such, I am considering, SERIOUSLY, on putting a port and starboard functional heater (forced hot air, either gas powered or block water) in the Bench 18. There are a LOT of days where this would be wonderful here and make running 70 far more comfortable in the evenings. I would like to know what experience any of you have had with them, who makes what is percieved as "GOOD units" and any drawbacks.

I am thinking one port and one starboard "nozzle" blowing at the face/neck area and definately an on/off funtion as many would never want it in different climates.

Any ideas?

Webasto ? models?

I used to have a gas heater in a Volkwabon beetle as well as a '67 VW MicroBus. They provided some interesting moments :rolleyes: so I am not sure gas combustion is my favorite idea...

BUIZILLA
12-21-2008, 12:29 PM
kaboom.... :nilly:

Donziweasel
12-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Lenny, due to the fact that I live 2 miles from the North Pole, I am VERY interested to see what you come up with. I have used wabastos on my busses with very good results.

The Dodge Sprinter van comes with an auxilary type Webasto (not webasto though). Very small, might be what you are looking for.:wink:

Trueser
12-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Lenny,
I have one in my 28 and it works great. underneath the helm.

Used it at AOTH last year...

Made by : Acuheat Marine heater systems.

runs off the water pump.

Lenny
12-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks Mike. :yes:

Looks interesting and block water to boot. :)

Something like the second link down where your feet go in an 18 would sure be nice... :yes:

http://www.heatercraft.com/

http://www.heatercraft.com/category.aspx?categoryID=15

joseph m. hahnl
12-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks Mike. :yes:

Looks interesting and block water to boot. :)

Something like thew second link down where your feet go in an 18 would sure be nice... :yes:

http://www.heatercraft.com/

http://www.heatercraft.com/Category.aspx?CategoryID=27

I think you need to have closed cooling to use the block heat:crossfing:.

Lenny
12-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Can you not take the hot water exiting the block from a thermostat environment and send it through here prior to dumping it into the SSM ???

fogducker III
12-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Can you not take the hot water exiting the block from a thermostat environment and send it through here prior to dumping it into the SSM ???

Isn't hot enough water, tried it.........:wink:

Those heaters are the right idea, as stated, IF you have a closed system. I have not figured out how to make it work without the closed system......:confused:

Trueser
12-21-2008, 06:42 PM
I don't have closed cooling and it works great.

Lenny
12-21-2008, 06:47 PM

YEAHH Baby :D :D :D

Can you draw me the plumbing configuration one day when you get time Mike ?

:)

Donziweasel
12-21-2008, 06:53 PM
I was about to say it could be done. I rigged a hot shower on my last boat. Take out one of your blocks drain plugs, insert a brass fitting with a nipple so you can clamp a hose on it. Run your hose to the heat. Now, with the shower, I didn't have to think about the return. Maybe tap into a bildge hose? It got HOT, would scald you without a cold mix.

fogducker III
12-21-2008, 06:55 PM

Interested in where you are getting the heat from?

A couple of years back I tried an automotive heater core plumbed into the thermostat housing with a valve to control volume and a blower fan to behind the heater core disperse the heat, found I could get enough water heat with the raw water system, temp was good coming out of the thermostat housing but by the time it got to the heater core it was luke warm......:frown:

Trueser
12-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Lenny

Chevy water pump remove the extra plug add fitting. The return went to the top of the thermostat housing. I think this was drilled and tapped. Flat spot!

And one last thing. Don’t forget to winterize the hoses and heater core.

We actually used it so much that I'm thinking of adding one to the passenger side.

Lenny
12-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks Mike :yes:

:)

The Hedgehog
12-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Lenny,
I have one in my 28 and it works great. underneath the helm.

Used it at AOTH last year...

Made by : Acuheat Marine heater systems.

runs off the water pump.

That's a cool idea. I want to check out that system at AOTH.

BigGrizzly
12-22-2008, 10:21 AM
It would work much better in a closed cooling environment and winterizing is easier too. A crossover can not be used. I have though about this also. There are other options too. Certain 12 volt electric heaters.

VetteLT193
12-22-2008, 12:21 PM
It would be great with dry exhaust. take the water from the end of the tail, route it to the heater, then dump it over.

although, down here in FL we wonder why they don't put A/C on boats for the slow speed zones:bonk:

wytmike
12-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Most ski boats offer them as options. Our Mastercraft 230VRS has one. Pretty much just like a car heater. There is a line off of the block with the core and blower motor up under the front seats. 2 ducts, one for the drivers feet and another under the side seats that can be pulled like a hose and put under a blanket or something. All with raw water cooling.

We also have a warm water shower off the back of the boat for those cold morning skis in Tahoe.

Just make sure you have a good way to drain it when you store the boat or you will have a broken heater core!! We learned the hard way.

Mike

Air 22
12-22-2008, 02:40 PM
kaboom.... :nilly:

Buizzy has some houses in South FL he may lend ya for nominal fee....that might be easier say mid January...:D