PDA

View Full Version : Mind Boggling Technology

Just Say N20
12-21-2008, 10:51 AM
I came across this, and thought it was too cool. When you click on the link, it should take you to a page with a written explanation of the project, and a video will open on the right side of the page, showing it in action. Simply astounding!

I couldn't believe what happened when the guy kicked it! Remarkable stuff.

http://www.bostondynamics.com/content/sec.php?section=BigDog

f_inscreenname
12-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Now that is f_in wild.:yes:

Conquistador_del_mar
12-21-2008, 12:04 PM
That is one of the most advanced and intriguing robotic critters I have seen. I wish I had followed up on my interest in robotics when I was in electronics. Thanks, Bill

Ghost
12-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Particularly amazing is how much it appears that the logic is behaving like the circuitry in an animal. Kinda creepy in that regard. A bipedal version would be *really* creepy.

Donziweasel
12-21-2008, 01:12 PM
That is insane! I could use one or two. A pack horse can haul about 150 pounds (some can haul more, some less). These things can haul 340. I need 3 pack horses for hunting. I could do it with two of these, plus, no hay, no pissed off horses (damn right they get pissed), etc....

Just Say N20
12-21-2008, 02:36 PM
That is insane! I could use one or two. A pack horse can haul about 150 pounds (some can haul more, some less). These things can haul 340. I need 3 pack horses for hunting. I could do it with two of these, plus, no hay, no pissed off horses (damn right they get pissed), etc....

These wouldn't get angry, but they aren't too quiet.

It blew me away watching it "recover" after slipping on ice. It "thought" to stay on its front legs at the knees until balance had been regained, and then it got up on it feet again. Creepy realistic, but quite the tribute to the people that programmed it!

I was also amazed at how alive it looked recovering from when the guy kicked it sideways. :eek: