PDA

View Full Version : my 72 project

2donzi2
12-18-2008, 09:00 PM
I've been wanting to post some pictures of my progress so far. I enjoy reading other posts and receiving good feed back from so many people who have been there, done that. This is a 72 18 2+3, small block chevy, volvo 280 outdrive. So far all the stress cracks on the deck have been reglassed and the deck has been completely re-geled. Removed the gas tank and am having an exact duplicate in aluminum made. Am in the process of glassing the cut outs for the motor mounts and grey gel coating the entire hull inside. The hull will be done in the original orange imron using dupont 2 part primer. The engine package is the 350-300 chris craft marine set up which will be completely gone through including the drive. Interior will be done in orange. Trying to keep it as original as possible.

Sweet Cheekz
12-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Nice and big job I know what you are going thru A labor of love I hope Keep the pics coming.

maddad
12-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Good luck with your project 2donzi2, you're going to have a bullet proof combo when you get done. You can save yourself some money later by overpowering it now.

2donzi2
12-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Good luck with your project 2donzi2, you're going to have a bullet proof combo when you get done. You can save yourself some money later by overpowering it now.

Thanks for the reply. The hull is going to be primed on Wednesday and hopefully shot with imron within the next two weeks. Thought about putting a 383 in it, but I figure if I build it 300-350 hp at the prop it should run pretty good. I'll post more pictures as it progresses.

bobwpe
12-23-2008, 01:53 PM
You must be pretty busy between this project and the Hornet. I know where you are headed with the 18 as I am in the final stages of my own '72 18 project. I'm sure you already know what a great resource this site is and it will probably be your second most important tool besides $$$$. :bonk:
Looks like your doing a great job. Enjoy it and you'll end up with exactly what you want.

2donzi2
01-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Nice and big job I know what you are going thru A labor of love I hope Keep the pics coming.

Hull is primed and is being blocked out now. Inside hull is ready to be gel coated and gas tank re installed.

Ed Donnelly
01-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Love your roof.....Ed

2donzi2
02-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Gel on the deck has been wet sanded and lightly buffed. Going to go over one more time with 1500 and buff again. Cockpit area still needs to be wet sanded and buffed. Hull is ready to shoot. Just waiting for some better weather.

Bobby D
01-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Fellow 72 owner how is the project going?

gcarter
01-27-2010, 02:28 PM
'hope you epoxied in the drain pipe under the gas tank.
Where the pipe goes through the two tank bulkheads is where they leak.
If you put in a 1" pipe set in epoxy, the tank cavity will staly dry and the tank will last a really long time.
A good epoxy primer on the new tank will help a lot too. So will coal tar epoxy.

2donzi2
01-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Well, where do I begin. The 72 deck is complete, hull is ready to shoot (my painter flaked out at the end, but spoke to a guy I really think is great and just waiting for the weather to get better), engine is complete (built a 400 sbc with the 280 volvo is ready to install) but of course I took on another project (18 triple hatch that I bought about 7 months ago and just working it to get it to the state of the 72. Engine for the triple hatch is done and drive is about done although I slipped with the 270 and marred the top cap of the gear case (need to replace). So the long of it, the 72 is sitting with my Hornet inside storage waiting for this cold Florida weather to go away. I'll post more as the progress takes place.

2donzi2
01-27-2010, 09:57 PM
'hope you epoxied in the drain pipe under the gas tank.
Where the pipe goes through the two tank bulkheads is where they leak.
If you put in a 1" pipe set in epoxy, the tank cavity will staly dry and the tank will last a really long time.
A good epoxy primer on the new tank will help a lot too. So will coal tar epoxy.

I actually used an epoxy by fasco. Works really well and they say it's the strongest known product. Thanks.

Phil S
01-27-2010, 11:19 PM
.....or some might say your're engrossed in Donzi Yoga !

Either way...progress ! :yes: Keep us posted....

Phil S.