PDA

View Full Version : Critter impressions....

Donziweasel
12-18-2008, 02:22 PM
I have had some time this morning to go over the Critter. First, I love it! What great lines. I will take some more detailed pics, but the boat was restored fairly well. There are some minor stuff, but for a 30 year old boat, I would give it a 9 out of 10.

I like the blue bezels on the gauges, but wish all of them had it. Faria are not my favorites, but I like them well enough. Above the steering wheel there is a flat panel that says "Donzi Criterion". It is plastic and is cracked. It has bow lights recessed into each side of the hull where docking lights would go. Also, has a rear lifting ring, but not bow one. I really like the Morse shifter.

Upholstery has 18 hours on it and looks new. White with blue matching piping. Engine is spotless and drive looks new. This boat definetly has only 18 hours on it since the restoration. Very comfortable to sit in. I am not sure how deep a 22 is, but I think the cockpit depth is somewhere between an 18 and 22. Switches are all new.

Trailer is a little rough, but with some TLC should come out nice. Going to paint it blue with a white pinstripe. There is a mirror on the inside of the engine hatch which is a nice touch. Hatch has no ram or anything to keep it up, will be modifying. Engine has a sea stainer, but no closed cooling, which I don't need anyway. Trim tabs switches are mounted on steering wheel, another nice touch.

It is much more comfortable that the 16 with gobs of storage, under the bow, under the front seat cushions, rear seat cushions, and alot in the bildge.

Paint is in good shape, with one small rough spot on the rear port side near the strake. Feels like they painted over a little sand.

Guy added pop up cleats, which I really like. Ever caught your shorts (or something in your shorts) on a cleat while sliding into the water?

Needs thru-hull. Came with a 21 pitch Mirage Plus.

Came with fenders and blue dock lines, another nice touch. Overall, I am VERY pleased with the condition and look of the boat.:)

zelatore
12-18-2008, 02:57 PM
:party::yes::pimp:

DonziChris
12-18-2008, 03:11 PM
John, Very nice boat, I have liked your boat from the first time I saw it, which was a few years ago.

McGary911
12-18-2008, 03:12 PM
The hatch lift on mine appears to be a period trim ram. No fancy customized parts back then. It sure doesn't lack power. I could lift the hatch if there was a walrus sitting on it (a situation I try to avoid).

DonziJon
12-18-2008, 03:18 PM
When I bought my Minx it was 11 years old. The Faria Tach was sticky so I went out to price new tachs from other vendors and they were over $100 and of course didn't match the remaining Faria stuff in the dash.

So as a last resort I called Faria to see if maybe they could repair the old tach. (Their new stuff didn't match the 11 year old stuff either.)

The guy told me: "Put the old tach in a box and send it to us along with a check for $17.95 and we'll either fix the old one or send you a new one". I reminded him that.."The old Tach is 11 years old". So the guy says again: "Put the tach in a box along with a check for $17.95 and send it to us and we will either fix it or send you a new one". SO I did what he said. :yes:

Two weeks later I got a box in the mail with a brand new tach..AND it matched the old one exactly.

It's been 12 years since then and the tach is getting sticky again. I don't know if I have the nerve to call them again. John

zelatore
12-18-2008, 04:00 PM
So.....fired it up yet?

BigGrizzly
12-18-2008, 06:05 PM
The hatch is a period ram and pump nice to have a spare. I love the hydraulic hatch. John there is a problem with the storage. You carry tooooo much stuff. I remember when that boat was being restored, and I am actually surprised it has 18 hours on it. The best thing is that as a driver you can see what everybody in the boat is doing, great for youngins. Last summer I took my sister and her twins out for a ride and we all sat in the stern. The other thing is when people go for rider there is either 3 or four. In a classic the one lonely person sits alone. In a Criterion no issue with 3 or four it is not an issue. Mine has tuck and role around the peoplepit. It is a nice touch. Mine is all stock except for the gauges and dash panels I replaced them as close as I could to make a neat appearance. This is the boat I always wanted but didn't know it until I owned it. I also have pop up cleats, but because the Criterion didn't have them and cleats were not an option in the brochure. If I am lucky I can find mine and copy it or better yet I gave poodle copies of the original except for his and I gave him the original and kept the copy.

Donziweasel
12-18-2008, 06:53 PM
John, Very nice boat, I have liked your boat from the first time I saw it, which was a few years ago.

Where did you see it? What kind of condition was it in? Would love to know more about the history of it.

If I am lucky I can find mine and copy it or better yet I gave poodle copies of the original except for his and I gave him the original and kept the copy.

Would love to see it Randy.:wink:

The guy told me: "Put the old tach in a box and send it to us along with a check for $17.95 and we'll either fix the old one or send you a new one".

Guy told me the same thing! He was also looking for blue Bezels for the other guages. And it begins!:)

The hatch lift on mine appears to be a period trim ram. No fancy customized parts back then. It sure doesn't lack power. I could lift the hatch if there was a walrus sitting on it (a situation I try to avoid).

The hatch is a period ram and pump nice to have a spare. I love the hydraulic hatch.

I got nothing. No rams, no hardware, not even screw holes from the old hardware removed. I have to hold it up.

So.....fired it up yet?

Why yes Don, yes I am.:) Lake isn't frozen yet...........:bonk: