PDA

View Full Version : Prochargers and the pros and cons

Budmann
12-17-2002, 02:06 PM
Hey Grizzly, Scot told me to get with you regarding prochargers. I have a slightly built small block (4 bolt main) that I've been thinking about sqeezing so more horsepower out of. Can you or someone shed some light on the subject.

Shanghied Again
12-17-2002, 03:35 PM
The first question I would ask is how many Hours do you have on the motor?

BERTRAM BOY
12-17-2002, 04:18 PM
Some other things that should be addressed are what size boat you have,what kind of outdrive you are using, and how much power you plan to use.....
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

HyperDonzi
12-17-2002, 06:32 PM
Dont forget the High Octane gas you will use.

BigGrizzly
12-17-2002, 07:36 PM
All the above are necessary, How much do you want. If you have an alpha you realy must be careful. I built my engine from scratch because I got a deal on the pieces and the procharger was a free ree add on. I was carefull not to go crazy on HP my engine has about 690+HP but the torque is greaT WITH 700 FT LBS AT 3900 RPMS and 4.7 psi of boost. I never through the throttle to the stop in a hurry I only ease it there. The important thing is drivability. This engine starts and idles like a fuel ingect stocker. If you abuse a blower motor it will distroy an outdrive. Unless your good and have access to a dyno get a PRO to do it. Garry Grimes helped me in that area of Drivability. He is down right anial inthis area. He and Johnny showed how to do this. What I learned isn't even in the books yet, and I have been doing high performance engines for over 35 years.

Fish boy
12-17-2002, 07:39 PM
The Alpha might get a little cranky with a procharger. Probably should take the cost of the new drive into consideration.

You can also do a search on prochargers on the site- there are a few older threads that might be of some help. Here is one of them:

http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003782#000001

Fish

GEOO
12-18-2002, 06:10 AM
The best way to get real hp. 10-15 mph speed increase.

Budmann
12-18-2002, 08:34 AM
Thanks everyone for the responce... the boat is a 22 2+3 w/ a small block 4 bolt main LT1 corvette motor. I do have a Alpha drive. I don't even now EVER punch it out of the hole. I am well aware of the Alpha drawbacks. I just want a option to give me the top end. I want to keep the motor semi-stock for dependability reasons. I've had a high performance in the boat before and was very frustrated with the constant tinkering that goes with high compresion, big cams and big carbs. The boat is very dependable and to date all deive problems have been faulty belos, U-joints wareing out etc. I have never blown the drive by abuse. I take very good care of my boat and as you can see by the pics LOVE MY DONZI!!! I just want something to give me 10 to 15 mph when I want it and then also be able to cruise at 3000 rpm the rest of the time. I also thought about a turbo charger. Any thoughts on that??? Also, my drive mech. is as ainal as they come and checks the shims,alignment etc. on a regular basis. I am open to any and all suggestions that all of you have. Thanks again for your imput and I look forward to your replys!

HyperDonzi
12-18-2002, 02:43 PM
Turbos are headaches. A single turbo is going for around 2k bran new, that is just the turbo. You also need blow off valves which let the extra air pressure out when you back off the throttle, wastegates to keep the boost under control. Then all the piping, welding up a custom intake manifold etc.....

Then on running it, you should put intercoolers on with the turbo to cool the incoming air, blow off valves are illegal in a boat with closed hatch, you alpha is toast, you will have to let it idle after a hard run to cool down.

One pro of a turbo is you will have a quieter boat and go faster.

Ed Donnelly
12-19-2002, 10:32 AM
You pipe your blow offs into your exhausts with stainless steel double wall tubing. My insurance company and the harbour police both approved it.The big complaint about turbos is that they don't make horsepower under 3,ooo rpm. This is really ann advantage. Less strain on the drive coming out of the hole. I ran a twin turbo Gale Banks in my sweet 16,(small block) and a big block twin turbo in my criterion. I pulled the engine because it was too fast and unstable(pushing 58 yrs old with 3 kids under 10 and lost my balls along the way.) After I pulled the engine I installed K planes,dual external hydraulic steering and a nose cone.Now the criterion handles great but is too slow. (MUST HAVE FOUND 1 BALL) Ed

Budmann
12-19-2002, 11:00 AM
Called ATI prochargers and spoke to Cary. Everything was going great till I asked how much?

WOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe my boat is fast enough just the way it is!

Rodger
12-19-2002, 02:51 PM
Not creating boost untill 3000 or so RPM, such as in a turbo application, in my opinion is good, unless you want a drag boat. In my boat I can cruise at up to 55 MPH without producing any boost. This gives me relatively good economy at relatively fast cruising. As for the price of a turbo setup it can be relatively cheap unless you insist on new equipment. The Gale Banks setups can be found anywhere from $1500 to $2500 in good condition ready to bolt on. The setup will include exhaust mainfolds, carb, intake mainfold, intercooler and sometimes more. Just a set of high perf. manifolds alone will cost more than that.

HyperDonzi
12-19-2002, 02:56 PM
big complaint about turbos is that they don't make horsepower under 3,ooo rpm

Think about that, great advantage!! As you said, less strain on drive coming out of the hole, and if you think about your normal RPMs, you are at in a boat, when you want power you are normally above 3000. With a blower, you wind out quicker, with a turbo you make more power in the upper rpm range.

Didnt know that you guys run the blow off out of the exhaust. All the turbo boats I have seen are all open hatch and one of the owners told me that they were illegal with blow off vales in a closed hatch.

Rodger
12-19-2002, 04:17 PM
Actually, if I hammer the throttle out of the hole I will produce a couple PSI boost as low as 2000 RPM. Once the boat starts to plane, the boosts climbs very quickley and the acceleration becomes quite impressive. I don't have any waste-gates. The turbos have bypass holes in the turbine housing which keep the boost at a safe level. If I had waste-gates instead of the bypass in the turbine housing, the boat would be faster out of the hole.

Jamesbon
12-20-2002, 12:45 PM
Have you considered dropping in a healthy big block ? That might be the ticket.

Budmann
12-20-2002, 01:14 PM
Bond, if you looked at the pictures of my boat , you would see how level my boat sits. When I worked at the factory I tested alot of 22's. I noticed a big(to me personally) difference in the way the boat cruised (at 3000 rpm) compared to the big block. That extra 3 or 4 hundred pounds made a difference to me. not to mention that at cruise speed I get great gas mileage. When my buddy and I run the Suwannee he has to get gas each day were I can run two days without a fillup. As you know, with the price of Premium gas on the water I'll take every advantage I can get.

MOP
12-20-2002, 01:15 PM
Just another thought! Why not scrounge around the local boat yards for a used turbo. Most all marine turbos are either oil or water cooled un like automotive apps. With a little help from board members and local shops you can more than likely come up with a decent setup.

Budmann
12-20-2002, 01:15 PM
Bond, if you looked at the pictures of my boat , you would see how level my boat sits. When I worked at the factory I tested alot of 22's. I noticed a big(to me personally) difference in the way the boat cruised (at 3000 rpm) compared to the big block. That extra 3 or 4 hundred pounds made a difference to me. not to mention that at cruise speed I get great gas mileage. When my buddy and I run the Suwannee he has to get gas each day were I can run two days without a fillup. As you know, with the price of Premium gas on the water I'll take every advantage I can get.

Budmann
12-20-2002, 01:27 PM
Thanks M.O.P I would love to hear from a used turbo guy.

BigGrizzly
12-21-2002, 01:50 AM
I/v been listening to this turbo stuff and yu guys need to know something. You DO NOT want a turbo under a closed hatch unless it was totaly designed for the marine app;ication. I saw a dyno sheet on the famed Gale banks set up and it was very poor. I have over 150HP mot than it does and better drivability. Turboa eun too hot under a hatch. Ed's hatch was blistered because of it. I would never use one in a boat. If they were so good everyone wouls use one.

Budman did you really think speed was cheap. The 350 is a good cantidate for a supercharger. You could also build one to run regular fuel. Mine will I just don't as a safty factor. Hyperboy, if you have to worry about the gas price between 93 and 87 octaine and want to be on the water get a sail boat.

In reality it is cheaper to super charge than hopup -- per horsepower that is! Rember high performance isn't for everybody. The moer horsepower per cubic inch the less durable it is.

HyperDonzi
12-21-2002, 02:38 PM
BigGrizzly:
Hyperboy, if you have to worry about the gas price between 93 and 87 octaine and want to be on the water get a sail boat.
Good point.

fasttrucker
12-21-2002, 07:09 PM
look into whipple chargers :p