PDA

View Full Version : Bravo Three.....

Donziweasel
12-17-2008, 08:15 PM
With the Duo prop thread, I started wondering if anyone is running a Bravo Three? Pro's/Con's?

onesubdrvr
12-17-2008, 08:45 PM
With the Duo prop thread, I started wondering if anyone is running a Bravo Three? Pro's/Con's?
I would think the biggest downside is prop selection, and prop cost. I'm in the process of considering different drives for the 16, and a DP has been near the top of my list, but what I keep coming back to is prop selection - there isn't much. Granted, the Volvo 600 dp-x drive is geared to handle the power I'm looking for, but if I need more stern or bow lift / etc., how can I tweak that with a duo-prop. In the single prop arena, there are TONS of options.

I'm still strongly considering one DP drive or another, but the $1200 prop sets can get expensive when "testing and tuning".

Wayne

BUIZILLA
12-17-2008, 08:50 PM
prop sets are everywhere for $800

Wayne, you won't break a BIII

I luv 'em

roadtrip se
12-17-2008, 09:28 PM
on the new SS. Awesome set-up for this package. The boat handles like it is on rails at idle and at speed.

I have seen a 496HO Cig 20 with a B3 and it seemed to run pretty good.

Wouldn't be my first choice for a pure performance application.

The Hedgehog
12-17-2008, 10:58 PM
on the new SS. Awesome set-up for this package. The boat handles like it is on rails at idle and at speed.
I have seen a 496HO Cig 20 with a B3 and it seemed to run pretty good.
Wouldn't be my first choice for a pure performance application.

That about sums it up IMHO.

Roller Girl has inboards. They work well too. Probably not as fast as the SS but great around the docks.

Team Jefe
12-18-2008, 06:04 AM
I third that motion from Trip and HH. My little brother has one on his Formula 280BR and it handles very well. No torque steer and good around the dock..... I'm not really up on I/O performance, but it seems to do pretty well for a BIG boat with a single BBC.

Morgan's Cloud
12-18-2008, 09:33 AM
NO I'm not some sort of a 'DP" freak ..... :bonk:
It just happens that we put the B3 in the Magnum a long time before I put the DPS-A in the ST Tropez.

This boat was a total restoration from the ground up when we bought it so I have no idea what it ran like before with a single prop unit. What I do know is that our mechanic, who has many years of racing experience under his belt in a range of classes absolutely raves about the boat and its handling.

Unlike with the St T where I can tell you exactly what issues were corrected.

The issue of prop selection can seem like a big problem but maybe can be justified away by knowing that the twin prop unit WONT need different prop experimentation to solve a propeller derived handling problem.
Then all that's left is to hope that you get a propset that puts you as close to reccomended WOT rpm as possible.

Supposedly Merc was planning to introduce a 'performance range' of B3 props.. I haven't gone trolling around any websites yet to see if this has happened yet .

BUIZILLA
12-18-2008, 09:41 AM
I had a BIII in my 252 Formula, I called Formula and questioned them at the time if one was faster than the other, and they said no, that under 70 mph their findings were they ran exactly the same, in fact cruise speed with the BIII would be up to 10% faster and more economical.... a BIII in a single boat is a great addition IMO.... there are performance props from Merc now for BIII's and a new XR/BIII with a smoother lower unit is out now I believe.... rumor is under 80 mph there is no downside to using that new drive in a single or twin application...

MOP
12-18-2008, 10:15 AM
If you do decide to go with a BIII get the Mercathod kit, they still have a bit of an electrolysis problem. You will love the handling but will need even more weight aft as they give quite a bit of stern lift which does no help with speed.

Conquistador_del_mar
12-18-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm feeling pretty good about using the BravoIII that I bought for my upcoming Magnum 27 sport restoration after reading the testamonials here. I should be able to start in less than a month. Bill

MOP
12-18-2008, 12:20 PM
If you can use stock BIII wheels keep your eyes on Ebay, I bought three sets and the highest priced set was $250 it also turned out to be the cleanest set. My prop guy said the props were pretty stout and could have some nice work done to them.

mjw930
12-19-2008, 01:20 PM
If you can use stock BIII wheels keep your eyes on Ebay, I bought three sets and the highest priced set was $250 it also turned out to be the cleanest set. My prop guy said the props were pretty stout and could have some nice work done to them.

That's what I was wondering, have any of the prop tuners played with these? I suspect there's some tweaks that could make a BIII the choice for most applications aside from 90mph+ boats.

BigGrizzly
12-21-2008, 09:21 AM
As a matter of fact they have but you don't want to know the answer. BTW Solas makes a couple of different sets for the B3 theyare to said to work well.

BUIZILLA
12-21-2008, 09:39 AM
on my BIII I dropped down a 2" pitch set size and full cupped them, got same RPM and good bow lift since I had a bowrider 252 and needed that, I think I ended up using a 26 in the front and 28 in the back, and it worked perfectly in combination, got more bow lift, got better acceleration and got better top end, all 3 bases covered.... home run... :wrench: :shades:

Donziweasel
12-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Found a new one in the box for 3500.00.

MOP
12-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Found a new one in the box for 3500.00.

IMO try to borrow one for testing, the reason is the 22 hull needs a hand full of trim to get the nose up. I moved a lot of weight back aft in mine and ran the BH drive with BIII wheels and had way to much stern lift, the swap to a Bravo made over a 10mph difference in top end. The Critter I am sure is a bit different but still a 22, I would still try to borrow before dumping bucks!