PDA

View Full Version : Detroit superchargers, big K&Ns, more souvenirs

handfulz28
12-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Last month my brother and I cleaned out the old Windjammer Barefoot Cruises office and warehouse. Amongst the dirt, dust, and other nasty things we came across a few interesting items. While this stuff needs to be sold, and I'd appreciate any input I can get, this post is just to share a few things we came across.

handfulz28
12-17-2008, 12:52 PM
There were so many things in that place I can barely list all of them. Besides the huge crankshaft in the parking lot, we found a 7ft long camshaft, huge cylinders and pistons, a turbo or two. Apparently the ships used Paxman diesels in one capacity or another. I'm sitting on two boxes full of reman'd main bearings in various sizes. The journals look to be about 5-6" in diameter! Lots of what looks like classic firefighting equipment too; a bit phallic some of it is. One of the first things we had to move was a MAN V-12 that was sitting on the sidewalk. Looked like it had caught fire and submerged; almost 4000lbs and brought less than $100 at the scrap yard. We scrapped over 20 tons of metal out of this place. Of course there was the good ol' regular stuff that I brought home like an Alpha One Gen I, a Yamaha 25hp outboard (with remote oil tank) and a classic looking 6hp Evinrude. I still need to see if these things run.

I'm curious what applications would call for stainless braided electrical wire that we found. We came across two spools of 2-conductor, and this smaller amount of 8-conductor.

What was a real shame was all the stuff that we just couldn't sort through and keep. There were lots of personal belongings left behind and probably tens of thousands of pictures. I managed to keep a box of what look like old reel to reel films. I have no idea what's on them. There were also 6 pallets of Capt. Mike Burke's book, but we just had nowhere to put them and we weren't sure if we could do anything with them.

Thanks for letting me share,
Michael

BUIZILLA
12-17-2008, 01:57 PM
I can tell you from 25 years of dealing with them that the father was okay, the son, Dan, was a crack monster piece of work.... I'm sure some of what you threw away we sold them... did you find the Polar engine parts yet? that's probably what that long crank was out of... did you find any Woodward PG or UG8 governors? we did almost all of them... I can go on for hours about the Burke's...

handfulz28
12-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Was Dan the one they found in the motel? One warehouse guy said once the kids came in they ran it out of business.

I wouldn't know a governor from a generator unless it was spelled out for me. :bonk: But I'm hoping these Detroit SCs are worth something to someone. The K&Ns are new too.

BUIZILLA
12-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Dan was the motel inhabitant that croaked from the overdose..... he was in my office the afternoon before, all wired to he11...... real piece of work... :bonk: :nilly: he would argue, and start fights, just to win an argument...

zelatore
12-17-2008, 04:52 PM
The floodlight rocks! The coolest thing out of the lot of 'em.

I want a big old trawler with that mounted on the pilothouse roof.

handfulz28
12-18-2008, 07:53 AM
Scott, if you're serious I might be down there today. There's no bulb but it does have a new outlet and cover for the electrical. I think it's 50 amp 220v?

BUIZILLA
12-18-2008, 08:02 AM
bulbs ain't cheap... :nilly:

handfulz28
12-18-2008, 10:19 AM
I didn't think so. I wouldn't even know where to shop for one. Sailorman offered $75 for the thing which we rejected. But times are tough this holiday season.

Jim, would you be willing to advise whether these SCs are worth anything as cores? My dad wants to keep one as a souvenir but if I can get a buck or two, it'll be more than I get from him...

BUIZILLA
12-18-2008, 10:28 AM
definately don't need the cores right now, have a few already..

Conquistador_del_mar
12-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Last month my brother and I cleaned out the old Windjammer Barefoot Cruises office and warehouse. Amongst the dirt, dust, and other nasty things we came across a few interesting items. While this stuff needs to be sold, and I'd appreciate any input I can get, this post is just to share a few things we came across.

Michael,
Some cool stuff there. My twin bother and one of our best friends took a Windjammer Barefoot cruise in the early 1970s on the Fantome - a 4 master which was bought from Onassis. I was sad to hear about its sinking with all men on board a few years ago in hurricane Mitch. That was one of the very best trips I ever took - stopping every day at another place to check out. I remember diving one place - Gun Cay? - where they had to tell me that if I didn't get back to the tinder craft, they were going to leave me - lol. I loved it! I swam back with a lobster for dinner and a few great shells that day. Here is a pretty good story about the Fantome and its fate. Bill

http://www.fortogden.com/fantommiamiherald.html

zelatore
12-19-2008, 12:39 AM
Scott, if you're serious I might be down there today. There's no bulb but it does have a new outlet and cover for the electrical. I think it's 50 amp 220v?

50 amps at 220v ??!!!

:shocking:::eek::shocking: