PDA

View Full Version : How much is TOO MUCH??????

SilverBack
12-16-2008, 03:58 PM
OK..we have had an 18 with an ASD drive that has gone over (I think) 118 mph. We have a Viper motor 22 Classic that is going 103 MPH. We have at least a couple of single engine ZXs that are going to break 100 MPH this year. I know that Ted has had other 22s that have gone over 100 MPH.

When does it go from a whole bunch of fun to a whole bunch of work and butt puckering??? How much power is over powered for a ZX or a 22 Classic or an 18????

SilverBack
12-16-2008, 04:27 PM
I was just asking because there are some big projects getting ready to take place that will be like none that I have ever heard of. I talked to Mark Boos today and my 25 ZX is done and I have paid my part of the bill and David Wade paid his part of the bill today so the project is over except for prop testing.

As it turns out...there is a Donzi Blackhawk with a hurt engine that is for sale "really cheap". I am going to have a boat for this coming year so I was thinking about a different project. People have been talking about LS-7's and I have a 454 small block with a billet rotating assy. I was thinking that a small block supercharged setup might be nice. I am not sure how a all aluminum small block would do for center of gravity and balance. This boat just popped up and I was not looking for it. If it is that cheap I hate to turn down a good deal. How rare was the Blackhawk edition anyway? How many years did they build it?

BUIZILLA
12-16-2008, 04:33 PM
here we go again... :nilly: :boggled: :kingme:

Donziweasel
12-16-2008, 04:40 PM
How much power is over powered for a ZX or a 22 Classic or an 18????

Don't even ask.............when I inquired about the Critter, all I got was "finish your house and have your kids":wink::kingme::bonk:

Lenny
12-16-2008, 04:41 PM
I think a 525SC is getting "close" to maximum in an 18, but... 1100 horse has sat between the stringers before in one :D

SilverBack
12-16-2008, 04:49 PM
here we go again... :nilly: :boggled: :kingme:

So...you think this would be a good idea???

SilverBack
12-16-2008, 04:50 PM
How much power can a blackhawk dive handle?

Lenny
12-16-2008, 04:53 PM
How much power can a blackhawk dive handle?

I do not know, but they ran well with 415 in a 22 for a while. Also, the 540's that a couple Cigs' in Cumberland were running with BH's seemed to last.

? :confused: ?

Who knows... Break one and you will a tad depressed tho...

SilverBack
12-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Don't even ask.............when I inquired about the Critter, all I got was "finish your house and have your kids":wink::kingme::bonk:

Hey..they told me all the same crap when I started my 25 ZX......The problem is that they were ......RIGHT!!!!

When Buiz speaks..the best thing to do is LISTEN!!!!

SilverBack
12-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Buizilla...if I get a Black Hawk..you will be forced to be more forthcoming and mentor me with my project every step of the way!!!!!:angel:

BUIZILLA
12-16-2008, 05:08 PM
oh Lordy.... what have I got myself into now.... :popcorn:

:cool:
.hmmmm an all aluminum 454 small block
. WTF............. go for it :kingme:

SilverBack
12-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Buiz....You are the MAN:superman:

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Lenny
12-16-2008, 06:02 PM
There is a 502/415 original Blackhawk for sale in Vancouver...

Why "YES" I know the boat :D

Todd Sommerville knows the boat too ;)

...and at times, it can have those "tendancies" :D

BigGrizzly
12-16-2008, 06:20 PM
First point the black hawk drive is weaker then the bravo. Come out of the water and throttle is not back by by. They discontinued the4 derive for several reasons. Wait until Byron finishes, his he likes it. The most HP I have verafiably seen in a 22 classic was a 850 hp. The boat was a rocket but unlike Teds it did not handle above 100mph and was dismantled and sold. I am at the safe limit and if you want to pass me be my guest. Keith haven't you wasted enough money yet?

Lenny
12-16-2008, 06:30 PM
Wait until Byron finishes his, he likes it.

I can attest to 5 people being in his boat, (22 Classic) a 540 and a Blackhawk, and running with (WITH) the red two person 20' Cig with 540 and Blackhawk. I have no idea how Byron manages to keep that drive together, but when I was in it, it was AMAZING :yes: Stock drive (Bravo) height too.

Last Real Texan
12-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Can we please have a stir the pot Smiley?

Tex

MOP
12-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Randy I disagree that the BH is weaker then the Bravo the internals are basicly the same, except for the vertical shaft and prop shaft carrier all the rest is interchangable the prop shaft carrier is quite a bit bigger. I know this from having to machine 3/8" out of the hubs of B1 wheels to fit. The problem is exactly as you state not getting off the throttle when grabbing air.

Ghost
12-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Randy I disagree that the BH is weaker then the Bravo the internals are basicly the same, except for the vertical shaft and prop shaft carrier all the rest is interchangable the prop shaft carrier is quite a bit bigger. I know this from having to machine 3/8" out of the hubs of B1 wheels to fit. The problem is exactly as you state not getting off the throttle when grabbing air.

Showing my ignorance, but woudln't a rev limiter take care of this, and couldn't one be implemented pretty easily, at least with EFI engines? (Not necessarily by ordinary people, mind you, but a way to set one up by the factory guys who program the electronic ignition brains. Strikes me as a pretty easy feature, and maybe an easy thing to let people set as a parameter.)

Sure, sure, this takes the throttleman's job away...

zelatore
12-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Ghost, exceeding the engine's redline isn't the problem. It's the sudden jolt to the drive when it goes from unloaded (air) to fully loaded (water) at big rpm.

mattyboy
12-16-2008, 08:35 PM
it is only too much if the motor is so big for the boat that it will not float unless it is under way !!!! ;)

quoted from our own owen( formula jr)

Legend of the "Who's Chicken."

Being a Wharf Rat and growing up on the Magothy River, Chesapeak Bay in the late sixties, early seventies, the Who's Chicken was a boat and a way of life you were expected to live up to. I don't know where the Who's Chicken is now, it was passed on to younger Wharf Rats and maybe down the generations - I can only hope. But this was a boat that always lived larger in the mind and was the center of all my local, crazy, boat-kid lore. I happen to have been a part of that story, in my youth.

We were members of the "First Wake Club." To be come a member you had to jump the first wake of a cabin cruiser heading out of the Magothy. And you had to get all the way out of the water; skeg and all to be initiated. It was no problen to do this with a 14 foot Lone Star and a 10 HP Merc. The older brother had made the grade before me with a 20 Johnson and a 16 foot Ochatall before it was taken away. I was just following his foot steps to the covenant. Other members, like Freddy, had made it in a Sport Yak with an 8hp SEA KING. The main perk to the First Wake Club, was access to the Who's Chicken. No one owned this boat. It was the communal property of the Club. As received, it was passed down by earlier First Wakers and I never knew who started the tradition. She was a rounded bow, flat bottom hydro with all of 6 inches of topside at the transom. The steering was cable, reversed and the engine only ran in forward. It was painted bright yellow, because that was the best color to find the boat after it had sunk in the murky waters of the Magothy. And it sunk, many, many times when a First Waker could not get to ground, ran out of gas or stalled because the singular most important feature of the Chicken was that it could not float with the ancient, heavy, 35 HP Evinrude bolted to its transom. Sometimes it took us as long as a week to find it again if she went down in deeper water.

The Chicken had an entire etiquette that came with the boat. You had to keep it on your beach for at least one week a year. This was the only way to continue the tradition, as no sane parent would have ever sanctioned this thing. If a parent did ask about the boat, you would just say "Ah, its so and so's boat." And as long as there were more than ten members in the First Wake Club, the boat was always gone by the end of the week. Bailey, a senior member of the Club, keep the engine over the winters. The Chicken would stay hidden, tarped and grounded in the cat-tailed. upper swamps of Mill Creek till Spring; back when there were upper swamps no one ventured into.

Launching The Chicken required a crew as well organized as any NASA lift-off. After dragging the boat off the beach, two guys would hold up the transom while the driver climbed in. With one hand on the steering wheel, the driver would pull the engine to life, quickly stuff the throttle and climb up on to the bow as the boat started a long, anxiety filled few seconds as the boat tryed to plane off. Even with the engine set on the lowest trim hole, there was no cruising speed. Anything less than 3/4 throttle would porpose so badly you couldn't steer it straight. The modifications we made that spring, made the Chicken all the more exciting. We learned to thin the gas mix to 75:1 and to by-pass the internal throttle stop screw. No one was brave enough to try full speed now, cause the bow would plant itself about an inch above the surface of the water, and there was a little curtain of spray that came over the bow. To end any run, you had to fully beach the boat, which gave new meaning to the term "Landing."

Our sacred meeting ground was the sand bar at the enterance to Mill Creek. Where we bided our time, aqua-planeing behind various small runabouts and pursued the three main currencies of earliy teendom: Cigarettes, Beer and Firecrackers.

During the summer of '71, the property directly across the creek from our sand bar was bought and developed and a new pier was built. Attached to this pier was a Donzi, like no other we had ever seen. This was no ordinary Donzi. It was a Yellow Classic 18 Vee Drive with a Big Block engine and a super charger. The hatch opening had been permanently widened and re-glassed like that of a typical open, flatbottom Vee drive. Mostly, I remember the organ pipes of the exhaust that shot up like those on Grandpapa Munster's dragster. It was called the Tiki Tiki and was instantly considered the badest boat on the River - if not the whole world. When Tiki started, birds would fly out of the trees. She idled with a rumbling cacophony of sharp blasts that you could feel on your skin from 300 feet away. Little ripplets of water would form and telegraph across the creek. Tiki could shake the world around it.

In retrospect; Tiki's owner, a 40 or so year old guy, must have regretted the proximity of his new home to the santuary of the First Wake Club. Every time he set foot on his pier, there was a small flotilla of pesky kids rowing over to ask endless questions about his boat. How fast is It? Is it scarry? Can I have a ride? Do you have a spare cigarette? Can you buy us beer?

At some point, he got alittle pissed at us, cause he blewup one day after scrapping his knuckle on a tool and shouted at us to "Get Lost!", and to take all our little kiddy boats with us.

Well, there's an addage as old as time, and applies just as much to 13 year old captains as it does to salty sailers - you never insult another person's boat. And in this case, he insulted our entire fleet. But there was one member of the fleet he had never seen.

"Oh Yah. We can beat your boat any day of the week!," We shouted.
Some what amused, Tiki's owner said, "With What?, Now, get off my pier and stop bothering me!, I'm not buying you any beer or cigarettes."

"You be here next Saturday at 1, and we'll race you on the Creek for a carton and a case." - we chirped.

"Yah right. Groovy, kids. I'll be there, now get lost before I start tossing you all off," Tiki's master said.

So in our little minds the challenge was made and the appointed time set. Now the worry began to dig in.

What the hell did we just get ourselves into. "Freddy! Why did you open your big F-ing mouth. And you Saffell, why didn't you just leave when he wanted us too. We'll never get a ride now. There's no way we can beat that boat. How are we going to get a carton of cigarettes and a case of Black Lable?" The pressure of the group had pushed us beyond what we really were - just a bunch of kids with little kiddy boats. But Bailey was unswayed. He had run the Chicken more than anyone else, and knew what she could do. With a slight glint in his eyes, he said, "We're in this now, lets see it through."

That Saturday, we gathered at the sand point after each of us had stuffed down balony and cheese sandwiches from the family lunches. The Who's Chicken wasn't there yet, but we had picked a good day. Calm, flat water and the Coast Guard would not patrol till Sunday as was they're usual rounds. We waited and waited, and waited some more. The locust of late summer sang. One O'clock went by. Then 1:30. None of us had watches - 13 year olds in 1971, did'nt have watches. We just knew what time it was.

Then we saw Tiki's owner with a buddy of his, walking down to his pier. Where the hell is the Chicken? They both had beers, Hawiian shirts and shorts, and were just standing by the boat talking.

"Quick, somebody go get Bailey at his place", I commanded - whats taking him so long?? Bailey was the only guy that could single hand launch, as his shoreline had a concrete step you could prop the skeg on. Scott Olivevich hopped in his boat to head up the creek to Bailey's as the Tiki guys started unsnapping the cover off her. We had no backup plan for losing, no carton or case. We would just have to eat dirt if we lost.

Olivevich had just rounded the bend on the creek and was out of sight when we heard the Tiki fire up. They cast off and proceeded to leave the Mill Creek Channel heading for the open Magothy. They were ignoring us. They can't do that! We're the First Wake Club! We ran out to the end of the bulkhead, shouting and waving our arms. It was just then we could see Bailey, flying down the creek in the Chicken. The nose was right on the water. He made a perfect landing on the sand. And we started to drag her off for another launch. "I'm not doing this alone! Says Bailey! I need a rider for Ballast." I was in the boat in about three seconds. "Today, is a good Day" - alot of you may associate this phase with Star Trek Klingons, but we were refering to all those Westerns we had been raised on and how TV Indians talked before entering battle.

The guys in the Tiki noticed something going on and they started to turn around back to Mill Creek. Bailey said to me, "I want you to get as far back as you can after we plane off. " The Tiki was right at the Channel enterance marker and could see us takeoff. Two guys holding up the transom, the 35 gushed water and sand out as we climbed right up on to the bow to wait out the slow process of getting on top of the water. After two big jumps we flatten out, and could hear an explosion of raw power from Tiki behind us. We're running three-quarter throttle and I get as far back as I can, right up on the engine cowling - buzzing on my back. Bailey is stretched out a far back as he can get and still steer. The sound of Tiki's engine grew louder in our ears, till all we could see was a flash of yellow and a wall of water flying from the back of that boat as it flew past us. As we rounded the turn on the creek, there was Tiki stopped in the water. We fly by and started our turn, in the only area wide enough to let us turn. Olivevich in his little dingy was looking on. The Chicken did'nt like to turn. You had to slow enough to get it porposing, and then yank the wheel on every jump in kind of a ratchet motion. We barely made it as the bottom keel skeg was alittle worn from all the groundings and we damn near clipped Olivevich.

We passed right by the Tiki, and oddly they were just looking at us with somewhat wide eyes and open jaws. "They're going to pass us again." I said with resignation. "No they're not" Bailey quiped. "We're going surfing." It was then I could see that the original wake made by the Tiki had washed a shore and bounced back into the channel. But we would have to take the left side to follow it back to the beach landing "Go for IT!!!" I crammed my little frame as far back as I could, and Bailey planted himself right over my feet. We leaned in to the wave and stuffed the throttle. We heard the eruption of Tiki starting back up and could feel the roar get louder, but the the immediate sounds and senses overrode this. The bow was up as we continueously fell off the old wake, the engine screamed like it was going to fly apart. My vision tunneled to just the beach as everything in the peripheral turned to blurr. Time was compressed and the next thing I remember was us hitting the beach and riding up a good ten feet. The Club was cheering, jumping up and down. Patting our backs. We showed them.

We got out and looked back. Tiki was at idle, back up the creek. Then we saw them turn into the Ferry Point Boat Yard Gas Dock.

"What the Hell is going on!" We waited. And we waited some more. "They were right behind you and then they just stopped" - observed the on lookers, and was confirmed by Olivevich when he got back. "The Driver got hurt", Olivevich said, "I saw him winceing and holding his side like he broke a rib." "How did they do that? Lets go see." I said. We started to head off the point to go see what's what at the Gas Dock, when we could hear Tiki start up yet again. They headed right for our sand bar.

Tiki Tiki, glid up to the beach and both guys jumped out. Beers in one hand and Cigars in the other. They strolled over to our little boat and started laughing. Deep gut, belly laughing. One asked in a stammering half laugh, half query, "Does this THING even Float?" "Well, no. Not really." - we replied with proudfull smirks. And another wave of uncontrollable laugher came over them till they held their sides in pain. "Hey Bill maybe they'll trade it for your Boat?" More laughter. Coming in fits now. They asked what we called her, and with that they couldn't laugh anymore. Just occasional cackling. "I've seen enough." Tiki's owner says and he reaches in to his boat, pulls out two six packs of National Bohemian. "Don't you tell anyone we bought these for you, and we're never going to do it again."
"Hey, what about the Cigarettes?" we asked.
They looked at eachother and the co-pilot gets a grin, looks at The Who's Chicken and says. "Kids, don't you know Cigarettes can KILL YOU." Tiki's owner caught the gist of this and yet another round of Cackling was set off. They fired up Tiki and headed out to face real boats and real races.

I moved at the end of that summer to another location and quickly found another set of Wharf Rat Friends. The story of the "Whos' Chicken" was told and retold many times, sometimes by those that were there, and sometimes I would hear an embellished secondhand version, which I would never correct. Cause Wharf Rats have their own culture. Part of that culture involves stories of boats that lived larger than life. Though the currency of an early teenager may have changed in our health conscience world, I know for certain there are still Who's Chicken's out there that are only run far from the prying eyes of parents. And this makes me smile.

Ghost
12-16-2008, 09:22 PM
I think I saw this boat!

If not, something much like it.

I was on the Severn River, one below the Magothy, and was only 9 in '77, but somewhere in the '73-'77 range, for only a few days, the craziest kids in my neighborhood had gotten hold of a small hydroplane that fits the description to a T, except I can't swear about the color. It was looking pretty old and ragged, and definitely was about a 6" high transom. They were launching it from way up Brewer Creek, (about 4 miles up the Severn) from a small beach, running out into the river, and coming back at speed and beaching again. They had it for a few days at most, and it disappeared. If it had been one of theirs, it would have been around longer and I'd have known whose it was. Hmmm....

Ghost
12-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Ghost, exceeding the engine's redline isn't the problem. It's the sudden jolt to the drive when it goes from unloaded (air) to fully loaded (water) at big rpm.

Ahh, I think I see. So, if chopping the throttles down when you get air, how far do you want to cut them back before re-entry? As far as possible? (Now I'm thinking it might be pretty interesting to burn some logic into an EFI brain that would recognize the situation and chop them properly, not just limit the revs at max recommended RPM...)

Unless getting air at speed will beat your drive up no matter what you do...in which case...how often do some of you guys replace outdrives?

fogducker III
12-16-2008, 10:28 PM
matty, I think I grew up with you in another life..........awesome story and well told, thank you...........:wink:

The Hedgehog
12-16-2008, 10:41 PM
The question is how fast do you want to go. Mine goes plenty fast. I will probably bust 100 when I want. Anything over 90 is a freak show in my boat. Been there quite a few times. It is a matter of getting it set up right. I hear that Geo ran in the 100's many times in his 18. He also wore a ballistic shoot. I am pretty sure that is way over that hull speed. It looked like he was bacically riding on a piece of the stern and the rocker plates. Oh yeah, I am impressed. That is way cool in my book. So is a 22 NA Donzi running 103.

So what's it really like. Well, I can smoke most Fountains, Velocities and Bajas so what do I care. There are a few in single low deck boats that claim 120+. That's a heck of a feat but I can probably run in bigger water. I like the Pantera boats but I don't know of ANY 28 foot Pantera that can run with me on a moderate lake. Not even close. There is a guy on OSO with 1,100 hp and I can blow the doors off him. Oh yeah, it is a blast knowing you can walk a blue motor boat any day. But it does come at a price, and not just the engine but the maintentance. Worth it? Oh hell yeah!

What will the limit be? Hell, I bet Tex gets there before me. Not that we are competing. Just a couple of guys having some fun. I got a pic of his rods earlier. Big stuff. 1,100 hp of ass stomping power and he will do it right. :wink:

Lenny
12-16-2008, 10:59 PM
matty, I think I grew up with you in another life..........awesome story and well told, thank you...........:wink:

Jeremy, Owen, ( aka Formula Junior) wrote that on a better day. He was (is) from mid state Oregon. He was at my wedding. I was at his. He was at a few gatherings up here as I was down in Washington State/Oregon.
Bought a couple boats off of him too. A GT-21 and a Formula Junior. Still have the Formula.

He recently, "perceptionally", had a hard time with his Country, direction, the current state of affairs we are all living in and decided to chop off his head in spite of his face in front of everyone...

:(

SilverBack
12-17-2008, 05:39 AM
well......

I talked to the guy with the blackhawk and it is not that cheap. I talked to my wife and she asked if I had smoked some crack......

So....

No blackhawk for me!!!

At least I will be cruising in a ZX this year and not a Chris Craft deck boat!!!

SilverBack
12-17-2008, 05:44 AM
Tex.......maybe you could put twin blackhawk drives behind your 1100 up single engine setup!!! Can you say roostertail??? I know where you can get two drives!!!

BlownCrewCab
12-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Ahh, I think I see. So, if chopping the throttles down when you get air, how far do you want to cut them back before re-entry? As far as possible? (Now I'm thinking it might be pretty interesting to burn some logic into an EFI brain that would recognize the situation and chop them properly, not just limit the revs at max recommended RPM...)

Unless getting air at speed will beat your drive up no matter what you do...in which case...how often do some of you guys replace outdrives?

What ever your prop speed was when it left the water is what you want re-entering the water, this greatly reduces loads on the drive. If you chop the throttle too much the slow prop entering the water loads all the gears and shafts in one direction, then when you give it throttle all the backlash and torsion is reversed and loads the gears and shafts in the other direction, this is the worst thing you can do to your drive. maintaining the correct prop speed is key for drive longevity.

BigGrizzly
12-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Phil the real problem id the lower counter rotating props. When reentry one prop stops first and that is the problem. This was told to me by the designer and Ted. Why do you think they stopped producing it. Plus the X has to be soooo high. As for Re entry as long as the unit is not under power it may be fine. The problem is the vertical shaft twists then straightens and its over.

MOP
12-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Phil the real problem id the lower counter rotating props. When reentry one prop stops first and that is the problem. This was told to me by the designer and Ted. Why do you think they stopped producing it. Plus the X has to be soooo high. As for Re entry as long as the unit is not under power it may be fine. The problem is the vertical shaft twists then straightens and its over.

More then agree, a thought for a drive saver! Many years back when my body allowed I did hill climbing, we all had a button on the bars so we could screw the throttle on and wind the pizz out of the engine then blip the ignition with the button to keep it from denigrating. Wonder if it would work to save the drives!

Ghost
12-17-2008, 12:20 PM
What ever your prop speed was when it left the water is what you want re-entering the water, this greatly reduces loads on the drive. If you chop the throttle too much the slow prop entering the water loads all the gears and shafts in one direction, then when you give it throttle all the backlash and torsion is reversed and loads the gears and shafts in the other direction, this is the worst thing you can do to your drive. maintaining the correct prop speed is key for drive longevity.

Thanks--I think I was asleep at the wheel when this didn't dawn on me. Just the boating equivalent of getting your engine speed right for the next gear when you shift your car, so you don't burn up your clutch and lurch the drive train. (I hope this means my mind was properly focused on my work last night. :wink:)

Given that, I'm thinking the concept would be pretty cool. My guess is that the rapid increase in RPM you get when the prop clears the water is faster than any increase you could ever get under load up at those RPM. So an EFI brain could sense the event accurately, and restore the RPM to the precisely where they were at the start. (Basically, doing a perfect shift like a dual-clutch Audi TT with its DSG gearbox.)

Sitting at say, 3500 RPM for a few seconds in neutral, and then revving the engine, would be the closest sort of event that might confuse it, but I would think other sensory inputs (the fuel side and such) of the sensor setup could distinguish this scenario from one when then engine was under load and then jumped revs.

Spinning a prop out would probably be the ultimate confusion, but, then you've already spun your prop out anway.

And now I just saw Grizz's note, so maybe it's all hopeless. Well, it seemed like a cool idea.

mattyboy
12-17-2008, 01:57 PM
how much is too much???? just enough to shut these guys up I want enough to blast by reggie and mess up his hair
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/line-video-section/173521-fountain-takes-world.html

Dear Santa
I know I have been bad but please get me that 43zr with the canopy and the magic reindeer motors that will let me fly past these guys

SilverBack
12-17-2008, 03:45 PM
If that works please let me know!! I know what I will be wishing for next year!!

Air 22
12-17-2008, 06:17 PM
The question is how fast do you want to go. Mine goes plenty fast. I will probably bust 100 when I want. Anything over 90 is a freak show in my boat. Been there quite a few times. It is a matter of getting it set up right. I hear that Geo ran in the 100's many times in his 18. He also wore a ballistic shoot. I am pretty sure that is way over that hull speed. It looked like he was bacically riding on a piece of the stern and the rocker plates.
George took me 106 in his 18 on Lake George...it was absolutely insane and had more to go but due to low fuel in blatter tank we were limited..he told me he had it up to 118mph....
I luv'd it!!:shocking::shocking:...:)...and thanks again to Dr. Dan for the winning auction bid for that crazy fun ride:yes:

As for limits...when is enuff enuff??...Your Imagination+Proper Planning/Engineering, Checkbook and up-to-date Insurance policies...:nilly::cool::kingme::popcorn:

Last Real Texan
12-17-2008, 07:21 PM
As for limits...when is enuff enuff??...Your Imagination+Proper Planning/Engineering, Checkbook and up-to-date Insurance policies...:nilly::cool::kingme::popcorn:
Well said. and dont forget this.....:lifeprese::lifeprese::lifeprese:

Tex

Air 22
12-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Well said. and dont forget this.....:lifeprese::lifeprese::lifeprese:
Tex

See pic #1....:nilly::kingme:

Madcow
12-21-2008, 01:33 PM
OK.. How much power is over powered for a ZX or a 22 Classic or an 18????

I have not seen anyone put a turbine in one yet...:nilly:

FISHIN SUCKS
12-22-2008, 10:26 AM
You can never have TOO MUCH! But because I can't afford a divorce, I can't play the go-fast game. So, I'll just top out in the 70's with all the other pleasure boaters and give you my friendly pleasure-boater wave as you go by:drive::wavey::boat:

dwiggl
12-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Great story MB!
There was always a county-wide rivalry between the Magothy & Severn, ie: which river had the fastest boats. That story (appropriately embellished) ranks a one of the ones on top. Down below, on the Severn, we did similar stupid stuff in the late 60's. Our H--- raisin' mostly centered around jumping wakes and harassing Naval Academy "squids" while they were in their sail & rowboats. They had 17' Whalers to chase us off, back up the river. That was before the place was developed and there were plenty of creeks to hide.
Don

BigGrizzly
12-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Silverback you will see. Most of this is opinion. I was talking to Garry last week about going faster and he flat out told me he would NOT help me even if my wife approved. At least in a 22 Classic hull. So for me that discussion is over. Power does more to the boat besides make it go fast. It also breaks them apart.