PDA

View Full Version : replacement tank-steel or aluminum???

The X Man
12-16-2008, 07:36 AM
I need to replace the tank on a 70's 18. The current tank is aluminum, but is leaking (smells gasey and can't find any other source). What are the pro's and con's for steel versus aluminum??

gcarter
12-16-2008, 08:01 AM
Uhhhh.....you don't want steel.

There's a couple of replacement tank companies here in Florida that offer tanks.

Also there're several threads showing how to replace tanks.
Just use the search button.

Kirbyvv
12-16-2008, 08:29 AM
George, I checked out how to do it and think I can handle it, but I too wasn't sure of the tank materials you guys are using.
I'm thinking I need to replace my tank too. Anyone know how much larger you can go for the tank, without loosing the floor storage compartment for a '78 X-18?

BigGrizzly
12-16-2008, 09:36 AM
NOT steel

gcarter
12-16-2008, 09:44 AM
George, I checked out how to do it and think I can handle it, but I too wasn't sure of the tank materials you guys are using.
I'm thinking I need to replace my tank too. Anyone know how much larger you can go for the tank, without loosing the floor storage compartment for a '78 X-18?
You can probably go up one or two inches. That'll net you four or five gallons.
The problem is clearance over the fuel pickup and sender. You can take a look at your existing tank before you remove it and gauge how much vertical clearance you have to the floor and the inspection port.
I went up an inch on the Minx and had to cut away the vertical flange of the inspection port to clear the fuel hose.

BlownCrewCab
12-16-2008, 09:47 AM
If you want to you can go stainless steel, Probably cost a bit more though.

gcarter
12-16-2008, 09:51 AM
On the '68 18 of Von Kamp that I changed the tank on, received a 42 gal tank. That required extending the rear bulkhead toward the stern about 15"-18". I have plans to modify the original 'glass storage insert.

penbroke
12-16-2008, 11:07 AM

I was able to put a 35 gal. aluminum tank in mine by moving the rear tank compartment bulkhead back to just in front of the storage locker. Give me a call if I can help...

Frank

Kirbyvv
12-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Frank, I will probably need a consultant. I'll buy the beer this time.

Lenny
12-16-2008, 02:54 PM
I have a new RDS aluminum tank (40G) to go into something... X-18 I guess.