PDA

View Full Version : Shoes thrown at President Bush

Barry Eller
12-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Two size 10 shoes were thrown at Bush at a news conference.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/12/14/bush.iraq/?imw=Y&iref=mpstoryemail

There is a video here of the attack.

cutwater
12-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Reflexes like a cat!

Last Real Texan
12-14-2008, 03:50 PM
It looks like he was about to crack a smile and start laughing....nice reflexes for sure.

Tex

DonziJon
12-15-2008, 09:02 AM
If that had happened when Sadam was in charge, he would have allowed the reporter to Kiss His Hand, and then calmly..and with a Smile and a Flourish ...withdrawn his pistol and blown the reporters head off. And then his entire family would receive the same.

The Today Show showed the tape at least 30 times in about 8 minutes this morning. The today crew clearly were trying to restrain themselves from showing too much glee over the event. John

chappy
12-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Reflexes like a cat!

I thought the same thing, pretty quick reaction time from George W.:)

zelatore
12-16-2008, 09:50 AM
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5189/shoethrowxw0.gif

BigGrizzly
12-16-2008, 12:12 PM
I think it would have been really neat if Pres Bush had caught it and threw it back and knocked the reporter out. This is no way to treat a foreign leader on a visit. We did not do it to The Iran leader or any others.

zelatore
12-16-2008, 12:57 PM
If he had caught the shoe, I would have to stand and applaud. That would have been excellent!

The real question I have is how did the secret service not see the guy take off his shoe then raise his hand to throw it. Those guys are usually on top of this sort of thing before it ever gets this far.

apollo24
12-16-2008, 02:40 PM
If he had caught the shoe, I would have to stand and applaud. That would have been excellent!

The real question I have is how did the secret service not see the guy take off his shoe then raise his hand to throw it. Those guys are usually on top of this sort of thing before it ever gets this far.

That's what I was wondering. Usually, if anyone does anything out of the ordinary, it's game over. I will have to ask a friend about this.

Either way, I lost two college roommates who fought to protect that swine POS's right to even speak at a press conference. He has something coming to him, no doubt. He had better hope that they allow him to stay in the safety of their prison system. I'm not a huge "W" fan, but that is over the top. W's a foreign head of state, no matter what. Imagine if someone here did that to even Ahmadinejad (sp.)....

Ghost
12-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Either way, I lost two college roommates who fought to protect that swine POS's right to even speak at a press conference.

Very sorry for the loss of your friends.

To be as fair as possible, I suppose one's take on his behavior depends on one's assessment of the landscape. Had he been throwing shoes at Hitler in 1944 or something (as if he could have), he might just be a sympathetic martyr for a noble cause.

But I'm not buying it in this case, and I am anything but a Bush fan as well.

My understanding (which the news has not stressed nearly enough, if it is true) is that the thrower is someone who was in the camp of Saddam's dictatorship back before all of this. His people kept the rest of the country under their jackboots with daily torture and murder, and he is alive now after his actions only because there is a new regime.

I don't claim to know how things will all shake out, but if the shoe-thrower is who I think he is, the most anyone could possibly say about him was that he was pissed that his horribly repressive regime was toppled by another, less favorable to him.

And that is if someone thinks the the new regime is as bad as the old. I will try not to assume too much given my lack of good feel for what is in place now, but I suspect it is somewhere between "not as generally repressive as Saddam" and "worlds better", in how it treats the people.