PDA

View Full Version : Do CMI Sport tubes or Stellings Big Tubes...?

Jamesbon
12-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Fellas,
Do CMI Sport tubes or Stellings Big Tubes fit under the rear hatch lip without modification?

As far as I can tell, CMI Sport tubes with "downturn" should work with associated tailpipes.

I have a line on a pair of Stellings big tubes, with "90 degree" exits. I can only assume modification will be needed under the rear lip of the hatch. That's okay, but not going to work for me.

What are your thoughts?

Happy holidays!

MOP
12-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Nate up on "Boat Freaks" there are some dyno charts you should look over, should be of help.

Here is the link: http://forums.boatfreaks.org/showthread.php?t=12100

Phil

MOP
12-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Another note I looked at two sets of Stellings when I put mine together, both had been repaired, they seem very crack prone!

Carl C
12-14-2008, 02:43 PM
If it's a 22C w/496 HO, yes, they fit. Get the blue silicone exh. hose because the alignment will not be perfect. I saw no performance gain on my boat. It also rendered the "quiet" part of Q&Q useless over about 3,000 rpm. For me they were $5,000 bling. I don't know where they get those performance gain numbers. Didn't happen on my boat but my HO came with a free flowing all aluminum exhaust.

widowmaker
12-14-2008, 06:51 PM
I don't know about the Stellings fitting, but the CMI Sport Tubes fit nicely under my hatch. The tailpipes that were "supposed to fit" did not and I had to have CMI custom make a pair, but fit nicely, they did. I have no opinion as to how they perform compared to other systems, but I do feel that you need some serious engine work to take advantage of the Sport Tubes.

mjw930
12-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Stelling big tubes on a relatively stock motor can actually cause a performance decrease and I don't think there's any way they will fit under the hatch. A friend had Stelling big tubes and he had to have them pressure tested and repaired every 100 hrs or risk hydrolocking his $40,000 blower motor.

Stainless exhausts are pretty but the last set of CMI's I had almost cost me a motor when they sprung a leak on a weld at the collector. Considering that anything short of 500 HP can be easily supported with cast manifolds and SS risers I've become a form over function guy. For anything under 500 HP the GLM $250 aluminum manifolds with the proper SS riser to accommodate your cam seem to work very well. Over 500 HP Stainless Marine are my favorite.

BigGrizzly
12-16-2008, 09:34 AM
CMIs are the better deal. I won't go into why.

scippy
12-16-2008, 07:28 PM
For anything under 500 HP the GLM $250 aluminum manifolds with the proper SS riser to accommodate your cam seem to work very well. [/quote]

Would GLM Alm./Mfld's apply nicely for a (mild cam) reman. mercruiser
6.2L 383 engine? looking to lose the weight off my stock manifolds,
Stainless Marine, Eddie, EMI etc. etc. all priced way too high for budget.

mrfixxall
12-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Fellas,
Do CMI Sport tubes or Stellings Big Tubes fit under the rear hatch lip without modification?
As far as I can tell, CMI Sport tubes with "downturn" should work with associated tailpipes.
I have a line on a pair of Stellings big tubes, with "90 degree" exits. I can only assume modification will be needed under the rear lip of the hatch. That's okay, but not going to work for me.
What are your thoughts?
Happy holidays!

If their the ''green'' big tube headers they probably wont fit,measure from the head mounting bolt up..Their 18 1/2 '' tall, to tell what style they are look on the header flange,their shound be a color name stamped on the lower part of the flange..

ck out hardin marine new line of headers,also keith etkert cast alunimum header makes more power then a ss header..

http://www.hardin-marine.com/detail.aspx?ID=1320

MOP
12-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Carl said to use the blue silicone hose, it is essential these engines move around more then most realize. Stiff hose I feel is the major cause of all header damage and leakage, silicone hose may run a few $$ more but is very cheap in the long run.

BigGrizzly
12-17-2008, 10:07 AM
MOP has it right.

kcatucci
12-18-2008, 08:16 AM
I have had a set of Stellings in the Minx since 1991 and have not experienced any cracking. <knocking on desk>