PDA

View Full Version : F-1 = nascar?????

gcarter
12-12-2008, 04:10 AM
Don will love this.....
I understand the reasoning, but it looks suspiciously like what NASCAR started about five years ago...
Financial Times FT.com

F1 landscape to change markedly

By James Allen
Published: December 12 2008 02:00 | Last updated: December 12 2008 02:00

Formula 1 will be radically redrawn today at a meeting of motorsport's governing body in Monaco, which is set to vote through significant changes to the cars. After the surprise withdrawal of Honda a week ago, the remaining nine teams have held talks with Max Mosley, president of the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile and presented a package of proposals to cut costs drastically.
The main proposal is for a standard engine and drivetrain, but the plans are also expected to include a complete ban on testing during the racing season and a restriction on the use of windtunnels and aerodynamic research.
James Allen in Monaco

BigGrizzly
12-12-2008, 09:41 AM
And this is one reason for Honda withdraw from it. Since we have our own test tracks they can do our thing without them. What they are changing is what made F1 so good for everybody. The other reason Honda bailed was purely financial. The company doesn't get enough good press from F1. In fact when we started we were all asked in a world wide email to forgo raised for 3 months to build capital. A few balked but it was an overwhelming go.

zelatore
12-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Oh yes, Don's already cringing at the thought of the new 'spec racer F1'.

I get it that everybody's worried about costs. This is not the way around it. Ferrari have also said they don't want anything to do with spec engines and have threatened to leave if they are instituted. I can't imagine anybody but the non auto manufacturer's would want it. After all, if you're Renault, Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, Ferrari - you want your name on the valve cover to promote your engineering prowess. If you're Redbull, Torro Rosso, or even Williams, you're buying an engine so it won't matter as much to you I suppose.

As for Honda leaving - I'm disapointed to see them go. Never my favorite team, but I always respected them as an enginering operation. I kept waiting for them to get it together and start looking for regular podiums; to regain some of their former glory, but they never did. A couple years ago it looked like they were heading in the right direction but then they started sliding back downhill. I believe they finished dead last in '08 - that's no place for a factory team to be. I'm not sure what their problem was. For that matter, I'm not sure what Toyota's problem is. Honda demonstrated in the past they can build winning motors, and Toyota spends more money than anybody else in the field. At least Honda got one win, even if it was something of a fluke rain race. Toyota has never seen the top of the podium.

(given my dislike of Toyota road cars, I'm OK with this but I don't want to see them drop out as more teams is a good thing)

One potential bright point still remains for next season: Can Vettle continue his impressive run from '08? Just think about it - a couple years ago that was Minardi he's driving. And he not only put it on the podium several times last year, he actually won in Italy! If Kimi doesn't shape up for '09, I'd say Vettle should be shopping his resume around Maranello.

zelatore
12-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Looks like the meeting's done - here's what came out of it:
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/081212140850.shtml

In summery, a lot of testing reductions, lower tech parts, longer life on engines, some spec parts...all the usual suspects. However, in the future rules for '10 and beyond there are a couple things that really stick out like no tire warmers and NO REFUELING.

???????

Fuel stratagy is a major part of F1! I know there was a ban on refueling in the past, but come on guys, this is part of the show!

BigGrizzly
12-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Actually Zel for the past several years it was not a factory effort but a paid in advance situation. They will do as always, go back to the drawing boards and after fixing the product problems of the money makers, they will return and kick butt again then take a break, this is how they work. After being friends with these guys you learn what makes them tick, it isn't all about winning but winning in style that counts. Make no mistake the world market is worth more to them then any race or series.

Ed Donnelly
12-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Don; Kimi isn't going anywhere. He just signed a 5 yr. deal for $225 million
Chump change compared to baseball players:) ..Ed

P.S. Aston Martin in 09??

zelatore
12-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Don; Kimi isn't going anywhere. He just signed a 5 yr. deal for $225 million
Chump change compared to baseball players:) ..Ed
P.S. Aston Martin in 09??

Oh, I suspect that if Kimi were to spend a couple seasons running down around 5th or so those wacky Italians would find some way to show him the door. Like just making his life miserable in the press and the factory to the point where he'd ask for an out himself.

Don't get me wrong, he's still the man I'm pulling for. I never could get behind Massa, even when Kimi just sort of languished in the later part of last season.

Aston in '09...via Prodrive I believe? Prodrive has shown a lot of talent, but does Tata have the bucks? Or the will?

You know who I wanted to see get involved was Audi. Volkswagon is huge but has no player in this game. Yeah, Audi has kicked a$$ in endurance/sportscar racing, but it would have been great to see them step up. I was silently wondering if the Porsche connection might not drive them toward F1 since Posche has their own endurance racer.

Or...
Word has it the Honda team has several suitors in the works - were you refering to one of them being Aston? I don't count out any team with Ross Brawn on staff.

BUIZILLA
12-12-2008, 11:50 AM
> yawn <

Ghost
12-12-2008, 11:58 AM
In summery, a lot of testing reductions, lower tech parts, longer life on engines, some spec parts...all the usual suspects. However, in the future rules for '10 and beyond there are a couple things that really stick out like no tire warmers and NO REFUELING.

CAFE Racer Standards?

gcarter
12-12-2008, 12:02 PM
When fuel was restricted previously, the races ran "X" laps or two hours, whichever came first.
Fuel was "cryogenic" for space. The "gasoline" used was a joke.

zelatore
12-13-2008, 12:22 AM
> yawn <

Don't worry Buiz, they're tying to dumb it down to the Nascar level for ya!

I hear the for the '10 season, they're going to take out all those pesky hills and right hand turns. Then for '11, they're going to put nerf bars on the cars so the can 'rub'.

Actually, '08 was a great season. And with the smaller wings and return of slicks, I'm hoping the on-track action will be better next year. No, it won't be nascar where they run into each other for fun and profit, but it might appeal to even some of the roundy-round crowd.

Besides, when I want side-by-side racing with overtaking in every corner, I turn to 2 wheels. WSB or MotoGP. I'm especially interesting in seeing how Nicky gets along with his new Italian ride.

BUIZILLA
12-13-2008, 05:52 AM
welp, with GM pulling out of NASCAR, and Ford not sure of what is happening, it should make for a nice all Camry field for the Daytona 500... :nilly:

zelatore
12-13-2008, 12:03 PM
welp, with GM pulling out of NASCAR, and Ford not sure of what is happening, it should make for a nice all Camry field for the Daytona 500... :nilly:

Come on, you forgot about Dodge! They're a shoe-in for....

Oh crap, I can't even type it without cracking up...:rlol:

Maybe Honda should come over and play. Just imagine the packed crowds to see Honda vs Toyota at Daytona!