PDA

View Full Version : Install a Depth finder

FISHIN SUCKS
12-11-2008, 08:40 PM
How difficult is it to install a depth finder? what is a good one to get? what does the factory use? No, this is not for fishing, just want to know how deep it is sometimes:boggled:.....is this so wrong:nilly:?

As always, thanx in advance for your help,
tom

The Hedgehog
12-11-2008, 08:59 PM
No, not a bad idea at all. The only problem is that step hulls don't like through hull transducers when on the plane. I can't bring myself to hang one on my stern. I may go through the front bilge and live with the fact that it will only work when off plane. That is the only time I really want to know exactly how deep it is anyway.

sweet 16 1966
12-11-2008, 09:22 PM
I hope I get this right but some time ago- MP? gave us the following- all you want to know- may take some reading but its all there- even the problems with air bubbles possible in the lay up. It shows you how to test before the permanent install!

Good Luck....

http://www.livorsi.com/tools.htm

zimm17
12-12-2008, 05:13 AM
I think mine is a Faria. It's a shoot through hull. They say to epoxy it down, but I didn't want to risk getting it stuck in the wrong spot. So I cleaned the area real good with de-greaser, then rubbing alcohol. Then I used clear RTV to stick down the sender housing, let it dry, fill cavity with antifreeze, then stick sender into housing. It's held up for 2 years so far and works great at all speeds for me. If it does come loose and leak, I'll just epoxy it to the same spot since I know it works there.

FISHIN SUCKS
12-12-2008, 07:10 AM
Thanx guys! So, after reading the Livorsi link, I like the idea of the Inside hull type as opposed to the through hull type. Does anyone have any experience with the Inside hull type to tell me if it's a waste or it works well?

Thanx again,

t

VetteLT193
12-12-2008, 07:32 AM
Thanx guys! So, after reading the Livorsi link, I like the idea of the Inside hull type as opposed to the through hull type. Does anyone have any experience with the Inside hull type to tell me if it's a waste or it works well?
Thanx again,
t

They usually work better inside the hull. I've never had a good one that works at high speeds on any kind of boat... I usually plan on them for slow speed use only.

My brother has the Livorsi sounder in white and the white is flaking off... I'd either buy it in black or get a different brand.