PDA

View Full Version : Closed Cooling Installation

techspecial
12-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Now that I've pulled the trigger on that 395HP beauty from Summitt Racing I'm leaning towards closed cooling to protect the investment. I'm also going with the Stainless Marine manifolds and risers. Is there much involved with installing a closed cooling system? Is the standard circ pump and Alpha outdrive pump sufficient? I see that a lot of you have shaft driven seawater pumps and crossovers but I'll be almost tapped out after new motor,lower drive, manifolds, coupler, heat exchanger, prop and all of the other doo-dads that are going to hundred dollar me to death!!! Is the motor only kit a good start? Has there ever been a detailed installation that has been shown on the site? I'm not very good at the thread search...Thanks, Mike

MOP
12-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Go for it gives you peace of mind and protection on your investment. I would forget the Alpha pump, several have found the S/S risers get real hot at idle due to low water flow. I have just swapped from a belt driven pump to a crank pump, my supplier talked me into the BB pump instead of a Sb pump. I find the pressure increase unacceptable and will now have to go to a pressure relief valve. Back to your initial though the kits come complete and are very easy to install, you may grab a deal on Ebay.

Phil

Lenny
12-11-2008, 08:06 PM
You might want to wait a couple weeks b4 ya order that SSM setup...

Referring to the New Years site Auction... :)

San Juan makes a great salt water/ closed cooling kit.

Call these folks and discuss, cuz you will be using SSM manifolds and such there is some stuff you will NOT need. :)

San Juan Engineering and Manufacturing
766 Marine Drive, Bellingham, WA
USA
PH: 360-734-1910

gcarter
12-12-2008, 08:57 AM
I used San Juan on the Minx. It is a complete system with nothing else needed.
From the beginning, you can install it in about two hours. Their documentation is very good.
You can get good prices at Ocean East Marine.
OceanEastMarine.com