PDA

View Full Version : Tex Taz builds us a server.....

gcarter
12-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Wes and Jennifer are here for a few days visiting and shopping while he builds us a new server.
Here's a couple of pics of the process.
For the Geeks (not me), it's an Intel dual processor board w/2 Intel Zeon 2Ghz Dual Core 64 bit processors. Two 500 Gig hard drive running in RAID1.
The server operating system is Windows Server 2008 (hot off the press).

MOP
12-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Last we spoke he said he was headed your way to make up a new box for you, hope all of you get to enjoy some nice weather. We are wet and wild up here today!

Phil

onesubdrvr
12-10-2008, 02:33 PM
I've seen something like that before ;)

Certainly sounds like good hardware package! 1 TB of storage to boot ;) , but I'm not so sure about a Windows product,
Just kidding :wink: :D I happen to like the windows products.

See you guys soon!
Wayne

onesubdrvr
12-10-2008, 02:34 PM
I almost forgot George,....

you can add fresh water cooling to that thing too ;)

Wayne

Trueser
12-10-2008, 02:59 PM
You should have got a RED case!!!:mad:

Ghost
12-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks Taz, and all the rest whose time and effort make this place run.

Think 500 Gig is enough? (Let's see if anyone takes the bait...) :)

Ghost
12-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks Taz, and all the rest whose time and effort make this place run.

Looks like I was asleep at the wheel here...:bonk:

txtaz
12-11-2008, 02:19 AM
Mike, George can always sand down the case and gel it. However I don't think he will want to touch it once it's in service. This thing is rocket fast. I installed the server software in 15 minuutes and updated to R2 in one (50 Meg). All other updated (166Meg) took 3 minutes to download and install.

Ghost, More coffee dude. This is a business server for Georges business.

Da Taz<---So far Florida is nice, we may get rain today.

txtaz
12-11-2008, 03:07 AM
Oh Wayne, you would not believe what all this thing is going to do. Domain controller, print server, Exchange Server, CRM Server, Map Point Server, SQL Server, Sharepoint Server, Groove Server and anything else cool I can add. Talk about an integrated envoronment, this thing will rock.

See ya Saturday.

Da Taz

zelatore
12-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Not to hijack the thread ('cause I never do that)

Any thoughts on laptops? I need to replace my desktop machine at work as it's getting a bit long in the tooth and since I do a little travel I was thinking of pressing for a laptop. I was looking at the Dell Inspiron 1525 here:
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspnnb_1525?c=us&cs=19&l=en&ref=lthp&s=dhs

Since it's a work machine and not used for any heavy lifting like games or high-end graphics, I was thinking of the second from the left. dual-core 2.0 Ghz Pentium, 2 gig DDR2 ram, basic video, sound, and wireless gear.

I've been out of touch with the PC world for many years. Once upon a time I built my own boxes, but now I don't even know what the latest processors are....:confused:

gcarter
12-11-2008, 12:43 PM
A lot of people here hate Dell's. But I've had excellent success w/them.
I would suggest that since you work w/yours, that you upgrade to a Latitude. They'll cost quite a bit more, but they're much tougher. Mine is more than three years old and it goes everywhere w/me. I've had no problems other than spilling a coffee on the keyboard.
P.S.;
What ever you do, don't get the "HOME" edition of what ever operating system you end up w/.
P.P.S.;
Poodles'addicted to Mac's, so you know you don't want one of those.

zelatore
12-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Trying to keep the cost down, we don't exactly have a lot of budget these days. They offer a $150 'upgrade' from the stock Vista to XP - I'd have to serioulsy consider that even though I've never used Vista.

I'm starting to look into Lenova and a few others to see what they offer. Dell just happens to be the name that jumped into my head first. Most important to me are screen size (it's mainly a desktop replacement) and a good keyboard/touch pad/pointing device. Light wieght is nice, but I'll only travel with it a few times a year so I can trade wieght for price.

Apple? Don't make me laugh....

VetteLT193
12-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Oh Wayne, you would not believe what all this thing is going to do. Domain controller, print server, Exchange Server, CRM Server, Map Point Server, SQL Server, Sharepoint Server, Groove Server and anything else cool I can add. Talk about an integrated envoronment, this thing will rock.
See ya Saturday.
Da Taz

That sounds like 50 grand worth of software licensing:bonk:

Ghost
12-11-2008, 01:28 PM
As part of my campaign of 3 jobs in the last 4 months, I had to buy myself a laptop so I could be an independent consultant, which I am now.

I bought a quite expensive Dell Latitude and have had some squirrely behavior. It's the new E series, and I wonder if they didn't get the kinks out of the system image before rushing to market.

And I have nothing but trouble with my wireless, which drops all the time at my home. I'm on my second full piece of HW here--they couldn't send a replacement for a broken keyboard key, so everything I have is the second piece of HW save for the disk itself. So, I don't think it's a bad serial number of any piece of HW.

At the same time, one of my wife's Lenovos had similar wireless issues. We have been through 3 Linksys boxes and one Netgear now. The netgear finally solved the problem for all our PCs to happily get on a wireless hub, until the new Dell showed up. Have done tons of driver upgrades and firmware upgrades. What a PITA.

FWIW, happy shopping.

BUIZILLA
12-11-2008, 01:31 PM
we went through 4 Linksys boxes at home

threw them away, huge POS

got a Belkin, and it hasn't even had a blip, not one in a year, and we run 3-4 computers 24-7 with it....

Trueser
12-11-2008, 01:33 PM
As part of my campaign of 3 jobs in the last 4 months, I had to buy myself a laptop so I could be an independent consultant, which I am now.

I bought a quite expensive Dell Latitude and have had some squirrely behavior. It's the new E series, and I wonder if they didn't get the kinks out of the system image before rushing to market.

And I have nothing but trouble with my wireless, which drops all the time at my home. I'm on my second full piece of HW here--they couldn't send a replacement for a broken keyboard key, so everything I have is the second piece of HW save for the disk itself. So, I don't think it's a bad serial number of any piece of HW.

At the same time, one of my wife's Lenovos had similar wireless issues. We have been through 3 Linksys boxes and one Netgear now. The netgear finally solved the problem for all our PCs to happily get on a wireless hub, until the new Dell showed up. Have done tons of driver upgrades and firmware upgrades. What a PITA.

FWIW, happy shopping.

We do 9-1 service/Warranty calls Dell vs any other Manufacturer. What does that tell you?

boxy
12-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Trying to keep the cost down, we don't exactly have a lot of budget these days. They offer a $150 'upgrade' from the stock Vista to XP - I'd have to serioulsy consider that even though I've never used Vista.
I'm starting to look into Lenova and a few others to see what they offer. Dell just happens to be the name that jumped into my head first. Most important to me are screen size (it's mainly a desktop replacement) and a good keyboard/touch pad/pointing device. Light wieght is nice, but I'll only travel with it a few times a year so I can trade wieght for price.
Apple? Don't make me laugh....

Dell Inspirion. Just ordered the one you are looking at for my sister. Only upgrades were the Micro work edition and 1g extra Ram to make Vista run sweet.
I currently have 3 dell desktops, and 2 other Dell laptops. You should see if you can buy them as a small/medium business. I have a Small/Med account with them, and I get to talk to a rep in Toronto whenever i need anything.
No overseas call centre.....

boxy
12-11-2008, 01:37 PM
We do 9-1 service/Warranty calls Dell vs any other Manufacturer. What does that tell you?
Without knowing the ratio of Dell computers to Other mfg's in your area, it's tough to tell. :D
It's like when the watercraft mechanic says "the number of Seadoo's in our service department outnumber the Honda's 9-1."
Maybe Dell outsells their Competition 25-1 in your area.

zelatore
12-11-2008, 01:46 PM
I've got a Lynksis at home, but haven't been able to get it working with my provider...Spent 2 hours with everybody pointing at the other guy. Oh well.

Running a netopia at the office, but we don't currently have any wireless stuff using it...it's just acting as our DSL modem. If it had a little better range, I could probably pick it up from my boat with a wifi card and laptop.

You guys aren't exactly filling me with confidence :boggled:

Ghost
12-11-2008, 01:51 PM

That I should have asked the good folks here before I bought...:bonk:

gcarter
12-11-2008, 02:55 PM
I knew Trueser didn't like them.
I'm on my fourth Latitude, and I abuse them.
What can I tell you?????
I've had "0" warranty issues. When I need to, I talk to a girl in North Florida that speaks excellent English. Maybe I've just been lucky.
After I spilled the coffee on my keyboard, Trueser was very helpful w/ getting another keyboard.

VetteLT193
12-11-2008, 03:30 PM
We have nothing but Dell... Optiplex desktops and a ton of servers. We literally get shipments in by the truckload. We have very few problems with desktops, especially considering the number we have. Server problems are almost non-existent.

txtaz
12-11-2008, 05:03 PM
That sounds like 50 grand worth of software licensing:bonk:

It would be had I not been a MS Partner with an Action Pack subscription. Now I get quarterly updates for every product they have.

As far as laptops, I like Toshiba. I have never had a problem with it and nice big screen.

Da Taz

gcarter
12-12-2008, 04:23 AM
Don, another thing I did was to add a "Docking Station" at my desk with its own keyboard, mouse, and monitor.
When you're ready to work, just snap in the laptop and push a button and you're operating like a desktop.
If you check on eBay, they're quite reasonable. I think I paid $30.00 for mine even though they retail for over $100.

zelatore
12-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Don, another thing I did was to add a "Docking Station" at my desk with its own keyboard, mouse, and monitor.
When you're ready to work, just snap in the laptop and push a button and you're operating like a desktop.
If you check on eBay, they're quite reasonable. I think I paid $30.00 for mine even though they retail for over $100.

You know, I'm familiar with the idea docking systems but I hadn't considered them; I had assumed they were far more money. Actually, it may be a pretty good idea if you can find them for that sort of money. I could get away with buying a smaller screen - i.e. more portable for when I am on the road - but still have full size functionality for the majority of the time when I'm at my desk.

I got caught up in some other projects yesterday and didn't get very far in my comparative shopping. I'll try to resume again next week.