PDA

View Full Version : how hp can a alpha ss handle

DAULEY
01-05-2004, 05:30 PM
want to pull motor out of cig and have it built need for more speed but not more than the drive can handle as it is fresh or new with only 45hrs since installed back in 95 need some help please
thanks BOB
Hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday

McGary911
01-05-2004, 06:29 PM
I believe the upper gearset is the same as a standard alpha, so that determines max hp. Depending who you talk to, you'll hear anything from 300-400 hp. The ones that talk about 400 (or 400+ for that matter) will qualify this with a few conditions, most to do with babying the drive, and making sure the hull isnt too heavy. Paul O on the board used to have an 18 with an alpha that he was pushing 400 through. As far as I know he didn't break it before he sold it. I don't know if that boat belongs to a board member now. If so, maybe we can get an update.

Rootsy
01-05-2004, 06:30 PM
she'll take as much torque as it takes to break it... just how heavy is that cig... that will be a big factor... that and how you run it...

keep it under 350 pshp and IN THE WATER and you shouldn't have a WHOLE lotta problem... if you do... well i have an extra upper housing :D

Cuda
01-05-2004, 07:54 PM
350 horses is the number I hear bantied around most often. That comes with the usual caveats.

Rodger
01-06-2004, 08:44 AM
Bob,
Bill Hogan, who is also on Lake Geneva, runs an Alpha SS with 1.33 gears on a 22' Chris Craft Stinger with a BB 330 HP. He has been running it since 1987 with no failures and he beats the boat more than anyone I've seen. I don't know why he hasn't popped the drive yet because I popped my Alpha on my 16 with a 406 SB, and I'm carefull. He has however, blown the engine, cracked the hull, and broken the ribs of more than one of his passengers. So at least his hard driving breaks something.

ITTLFLI
01-06-2004, 08:54 AM
TORQUE is what breaks the drives :D

Rootsy
01-06-2004, 10:19 AM
yup wink

DAULEY
01-06-2004, 01:46 PM
was hoping to go at least 400 hp so time to rethink this idea maybe 377 merc
thanks for everyone help
bob

Garyw1
01-07-2004, 09:18 AM
My Classic 22 is running a 454 .030 over with lots of goodies from Arizona Speed and Machine.
Engine is reported to be somewhere around 500HP with an Alpha 1. I haven't run it yet (cept the sea trial) but the previous owner had the engine built in 1999 and didn't break it. Merc says 300HP max and used to put the 330 BB in front of an Alpha, they don't do it any longer. Bob Mitchel at Jackson Marine knows the boat and agrees that the Alpha has been on a while. For any of you that make the Jackson Poker Run, it's the TOP GUN boat.
While we're on the subject, anyone got a used Bravo 1 with transom plate just laying around? Hmmm?

Rootsy
01-07-2004, 09:36 AM
oh i think i'd want that HD upper gearset in there... on any alpha behind a V8... and nothing short of merc hi-perf gearlube....

i spin my SS 5500 rpm or so which is where my motor makes it's peak hp but not so much torque (peaks around 4500)... same for a few of the other folks i know who run em locally...

i've thought about more prop to bring the rpm down which will suck me back into a higher torque range.. hopefully that semilinear prop vs rpm drop thing would get skewed a bit more allowing a bit more speed... BUT i have to consider which is worse.. more torque to the drive thus breaking it or spin the motor a bit faster and make her live... i am not afraid to twist the 350 to 5500... plenty of valvetrain and plenty bottom end...

there are a few other tricks to consider to help the SS live if you are putting one together... you know.. shotpeening, stress relieving, polishing, playing with gear ratios.. all that good stuff...

ITTLFLI
01-07-2004, 11:38 AM
Rootsy,

I agree with you on buzzing the engine harder vs. larger pitch prop. Another drawback to a larger wheel is it is harder on the gears upon rentry.

Murphy
01-07-2004, 05:03 PM
I've heard about the HD upper gear set for Alpha's before but never figured out where to get my hands on a set. The true Alpha SS has a cast upper gear case. Is it possible they put the HD gears in all of them?

Murph