PDA

View Full Version : formula 223 LS

DonziChris
12-09-2008, 03:34 PM
I'am looking at a 1989 formula 223 LS, with a 454 big block bravo drive, fresh water, 393 hrs. Wondering what you guys think. I know this is a 22 degree hull not a 24 degree, less ride better speed. Any thoughts ?

Thanks Chris

Conquistador_del_mar
12-11-2008, 11:38 AM
I'am looking at a 1989 formula 223 LS, with a 454 big block bravo drive, fresh water, 393 hrs. Wondering what you guys think. I know this is a 22 degree hull not a 24 degree, less ride better speed. Any thoughts ?

Thanks Chris

Chris,
As long as it is the Bravo drive with the BBC, I think you will be fine. Formula has always made well made boats. I have not ridden in that model, but I have been in a few 233s that had great rides. Does the boat you are looking to buy have the patented exhaust system in the swim platform with the rectangular outlets on each side? Bill

BUIZILLA
12-11-2008, 12:16 PM
there's a real nice 223 for sale on OSO

DonziChris
12-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Yes it has the silent thunder exhaust, from what I have read it is not a true switchable exhaust, but instead when at idle speed the exhaust is under the water and when on plane it is above. bravo drive, original owner, no bottom paint, hoist kept asking $10500 with eagle dual axel trailer.

Conquistador_del_mar
12-12-2008, 01:41 AM
Yes it has the silent thunder exhaust, from what I have read it is not a true switchable exhaust, but instead when at idle speed the exhaust is under the water and when on plane it is above. bravo drive, original owner, no bottom paint, hoist kept asking $10500 with eagle dual axel trailer.

Sounds like a great deal. I forgot until now, but one of my rental stall customers has one. They bought it new and it still looks new today. I had asked about the exhaust, because about 14 years ago I had to rebuild the swim platform backing board portion of the combination swim platform/exhaust system that has a patented exhaust due to rot in the back portion of the platform that bolts to the transom on their boat. When you check the boat out, get someone to bounce on the platform while you watch to see if it moves up and down - it should be rock solid. Also check out the transom really well since that platform bolts through the transom. Just thought I would pass along something to check out. I think you will love the boat. If it doesn't have trim tabs, you will benefit from installing a set. Bill

DonziChris
12-12-2008, 05:35 AM
Bill, Will check transom and swim platform area for rot. Boat does have trim tabs. Thanks Chris

fast fun 2
12-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Good running boat, we repowered on with a 496.. ran 60s but accelorates like a rocket. Good rough water ride.

boldts
12-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Good luck with the buy. I've always had a thing for the 242LS with twin small bloocks in the back. You see a few for sale every now and then. When and if I hit the lottery or Obama really does change the world LOL