PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded Oil Cooler

jvcobra
12-09-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm looking to upgrade my oil cooler (heat exchanger). I'm running a 22' with about 700 HP and after some long runs the oil gets a little hotter then I would like. I have no idea where to start looking but since I run in salt I would prefer a stainless steel unit but don't want to spend crazy money. I'm open to all suggestions/recommendations.

MOP
12-09-2008, 12:32 PM
There are a number of High Perf sites offering coolers, stainless is a poor choice I know that from many years of seeing what happens to sea chests and strainers and other items. In theory it sounds great but I am sure you will notice S/S coolers are very rare, even sea strainer need to be carefully bonded or better yet have a zinc anode.

Phil

BlownCrewCab
12-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Where are you taking your reading for your oil temp? In the Pan? If you have a cooler now you should be taking the reading after the cooler. If thats still too hot then you need to upgrade coolers.

RedDog
12-09-2008, 02:15 PM
look here - http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38493&highlight=cooler

scroll down a few posts

BigGrizzly
12-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Coopernicle is whaqt you want and CP performance as well as Sendur have them

jvcobra
12-09-2008, 03:33 PM
look here - http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38493&highlight=cooler

scroll down a few posts

Thanks, Rex Marine looks to have some that are affordable...hmmm chrome plated or not..that's the question. :)

jvcobra
12-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Where are you taking your reading for your oil temp? In the Pan? If you have a cooler now you should be taking the reading after the cooler. If thats still too hot then you need to upgrade coolers.

After the cooler, it's way undersized for the power I have. Suprisingly it does okay but not during any extended speed runs.

joseph m. hahnl
12-09-2008, 05:09 PM
here are some from Orca
http://orcamarine.thomasnet.com/keyword/all-categories/oil-cooler?&plpver=10&pagesize=25&pagenum=1&filter=1&keyword=oil+cooler&key=product&keycateg=100&keyprod=1027&SchType=2&keyType=P&Primary=1

The Hedgehog
12-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Coopernicle is whaqt you want and CP performance as well as Sendur have them

Nice product!

700 hp is big. We need details:pimp:

CHACHI
12-09-2008, 08:03 PM
jv, out of curiosity, how hot is the oil getting?

Ken

SilverBack
12-09-2008, 08:05 PM
I have been told that as long as they don't go over 235 - 240 degrees that it is fine. If you don't get your oil to a certain temperature it will give you a milk shake motor.

jvcobra
12-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Nice product!

700 hp is big. We need details:pimp:

It's all here :)

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53943

maddad
12-10-2008, 02:11 PM
I have a question on where to take the temp. My sending unit is in the dual filter mount, after the oil pump and before the cooler, because I thought that would be the hottest the oil is going to get. Is it better to take the temp. somewhere else? The temp there after an extended run gets to 290ish, which I thought was safe. Extended for me is 10 minutes above 4500 rpm. Do I need to consider an even bigger cooler? I'd guess that after the cooler, the temps would be much lower.

gcarter
12-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Take a look at this one;
http://www.revolutionmarine.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/index.html

It's in my plans.

BlownCrewCab
12-10-2008, 02:25 PM
I have a question on where to take the temp. My sending unit is in the dual filter mount, after the oil pump and before the cooler, because I thought that would be the hottest the oil is going to get. Is it better to take the temp. somewhere else? The temp there after an extended run gets to 290ish, which I thought was safe. Extended for me is 10 minutes above 4500 rpm. Do I need to consider an even bigger cooler? I'd guess that after the cooler, the temps would be much lower.

You'd like to get a reading after it's cooled and going back into the motor. You want to know the temp of the working oil. on my 18 I had a sender in the pan and one on the block after the cooler with one gauge, with the flip of a toggle I could see the diff of how hot it was and how much it was cooling. I have seen pan temps of 300* and 200* going back into the motor.

MOP
12-10-2008, 02:39 PM
My Tempest 300 came from the factory with the sender on the oil filter along with a 12X2" cooler, I wonder how much variation in temp there is there between what is in the pan and what is coming from the cooler back into the system.

CHACHI
12-10-2008, 06:19 PM
I have been told that as long as they don't go over 235 - 240 degrees that it is fine. If you don't get your oil to a certain temperature it will give you a milk shake motor.

180 is about the min temp you would like to see. 235-240 not that bad, pushing 300, find a larger cooler.

Ken

SilverBack
12-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Thanks!! I knew that Mark Boos told me something about normally on a bigger boat with my horsepower that I would need larger oil cooler. He said that I may be ok since I have a smaller boat and will not be running WOT for long periods of time. Also with the blower motor and not running a thermostat that I need to make sure to get the oil temps up enough to make sure not to end of with a milk shake.