PDA

View Full Version : Donzi skipping Miami Boat Show?

Last Tango
12-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Porsche, Ferrari, Land Rover, Mitsubishi, and many more automakers are skipping the Detroit Auto Show (NAIAS) in January. Over 100 companies were no shows/cancels at the SEMA show this year.
With the state of the economy, how many boat manufacturers will pass on the Miami boat show this year? Donzi Marine is on the ropes. Will they too be a casualty of the greedy bastards who spent the last three years fraudulently jacking up gas prices, or selling mortgages to folks who didn't have a prayer of actually making the payments long term (they were all going to sell when the market reached the top and become instantly wealthy), thus causing the worst financial collapse since 1929? (My best run-on sentance this week)
I don't think the government is going to offer a bailout to the marine industry.
Time to don your swim gear - it will be sink or swim, and nobody is throwing them a Lifeline. The herd will be very thin by summertime.

apollo24
12-08-2008, 09:27 PM
From what I understand, Donzi has been in trouble for a while. They don't have a dealer within 400 miles of us, and we are the fishing capital of the northern Gulf! The top dealers for just about every other major brand of cc fish boats are here. (I am assuming that, like Fountain, Donzi/Proline's majority of sales has come from their fishing boats either as Donzi or Proline).

I emailed a guy today whom I know from Fountain and was my rep when I sold them (about some incentive money they owed me:eek:)- he lost his job right after the Lauderdale Show 3 weeks ago. He was over their fish boats, which was pretty much the only thing selling out of that factory the last few years, IIRC. If that doesn't tell you something....

There are already rumors that Hatteras, our big competitor, won't be at Miami. I can't imagine that, but who knows.

zelatore
12-09-2008, 09:58 AM
There are already rumors that Hatteras, our big competitor, won't be at Miami. I can't imagine that, but who knows.

Hat's not going to Miami??? :eek::eek:

The only thing 'good' about that is that you'll have one less competitor. We sold a couple things at our last fall show just because of a lack of competition: Marine Max didn't come with their SeaRays and Olympic went belly up with the Bayliner/Meridians, as did the local Regal dealer. We're beginning to get a 'last man standing' mentality.

We canceled a January show entirely here in NorCal, but it was pretty much a cluster of an indoor show anyway. Really only good for the ski boat crowd.

I'm planning to attend the Seattle show as a spectator next month; I understand they have 195 brands/465 exhibitors. Unfortunately I don't have past numbers to compare that with and I don't know what sort of display space each exhibitor has signed on for.

Marlin275
12-09-2008, 11:36 AM
I just checked the New York National Boat show and Donzi is listed as an exhibitor!

Donzi Marine
7110 21st Street East
Sarasota, FL 34243-1448 P: 941-727-0622
F: 941-756-5638
www.donzimarine.com

Booth: A53
Space: 4000 sq. ft.

December 13-21, 2008
Saturday, December 13 10:00am to 8:00pm
Sunday, December 14 10:00am to 5:00pm
Monday, December 15 12:00pm to 8:00pm
Tuesday, December 16 12:00pm to 8:00pm
Wednesday, December 17 12:00pm to 8:00pm
Thursday, December 18 12:00pm to 8:00pm
Friday, December 19 12:00pm to 8:00pm
Saturday, December 20 10:00am to 8:00pm
Sunday, December 21 10:00am to 5:00pm
Admission Prices
Adults (16 and older): $15.00
Youth (13-15): $8.00
Children (12 and younger): FREE when accompanied by an adult.

655 West 34th Street, New York, NY 10001.
Main Entrance: Eleventh Avenue at 35th Street.
Telephone: 212- 216-2000.

boxy
12-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Are there any facts to back up the first post, or is all just wild a$$ supposition ???

Taken from the Miami International Boat Show 2009 website ....

Donzi Marine
Booth: 320
Building: MARINA
Space: 365 sq. ft.

Booth: 3068
Building: CONV. CTR.
Space: 7200 sq. ft

Donziweasel
12-09-2008, 03:25 PM
From what I understand, Donzi has been in trouble for a while.

Yeah, since Don sold it.......:wink::bonk:

mattyboy
12-09-2008, 03:31 PM
if they are looking to skip a show i would think the NY show would be the one that is an expensive show all around, that starts this weekend so we'll see .

when is the miami show?? feb???

apollo24
12-09-2008, 04:01 PM
if they are looking to skip a show i would think the NY show would be the one that is an expensive show all around, that starts this weekend so we'll see .

when is the miami show?? feb???

Week of February 14th. I'll be there, standing around on a big piece of fiberglass. If anyone is coming, PM me. We can make sandwiches on the boat.

LKSD
12-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Very briefly. Alot of the marine industry is slower as are many other companies.

I DO know there are some things that Donzi is working on that are really cool projects and offerings that are on there way to being offered to the public.

That aside, The economy has slowed the marine sales a bit because of lenders. It is affecting sales more than service or custom, but it has no doubt affected almost everyone to some degree. There are still some loans to be had, but the down paymnets and terms are not usually anywhere near as attractive as they had been in the past, even for the very wealthy. Things will eventually turn around, but it is going to take a while even without some bad decisions from Washington.. From what I know Donzi & many others will still be at the shows.

That said there are some though that will be probably dropping out of the show scene & moving more towards using the internet due to its possible cost savings.

I have also heard rumors that Merc's show presence will be smaller & that they will supposedly work more on driving customers to the web for info. Merc has also had a lot of cut backs and has even cut some of its Rep & sales forces hours. My Rep from merc still works a full week, but is now not allowed to do put engine sales orders thru to invoicing on Fridays for some reason.. Why they can take an order from me but not process it on a friday seems silly, but I guess they must have some reasons. The long term future for many is going to be interesting and probably at times frustrating to say the least.. ;) Jamie

mattyboy
12-09-2008, 04:24 PM
got a question for those in the know, how does a MFG'R handle the expenses of the dealers who work the show in their both is it a cash thing, or do they get breaks on the cost of boats sold at the show or is it just part of being a dealer and on their dime??

apollo24
12-10-2008, 09:41 AM
got a question for those in the know, how does a MFG'R handle the expenses of the dealers who work the show in their both is it a cash thing, or do they get breaks on the cost of boats sold at the show or is it just part of being a dealer and on their dime??

I believe that the dealers pay to have salesmen in the mfr's booth at the show, at least that is how it was at FLIBS. Some of the mfr's supplied box lunches, etc. but not the one I was in. Bottled water. The way a lot of dealers approach the big shows are different now, too. The only thing my firm now pays for is hotel rooms (double up). We pay airfare, gas, meals, whatever- it can get expensive. It's getting tight.

zelatore
12-10-2008, 09:53 AM
I believe that the dealers pay to have salesmen in the mfr's booth at the show, at least that is how it was at FLIBS. Some of the mfr's supplied box lunches, etc. but not the one I was in. Bottled water. The way a lot of dealers approach the big shows are different now, too. The only thing my firm now pays for is hotel rooms (double up). We pay airfare, gas, meals, whatever- it can get expensive. It's getting tight.

We're pretty much right there as well. Since Miami and Lauderdale are so big that they attract people from all over we still send somebody, but lately it's only been the company owner who's gone. Carver/Marquis have gotten pretty steep in what they charge you for the privilage of attending.

Just learned yesterday that the PNW lost their Carver & Marquis dealer. Blackfish was out of Vancouver but covered everything down to Portland. they had taken over the line from Sundance (Seattle & Portland offices) just a couple years ago.

I understand they had about 7-9 units in stock; I'm hoping they don't get dumped and kill what market we have left.

Last Tango
12-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Dear Boxy,
"With the state of the economy, how many boat manufacturers will pass on the Miami boat show this year? Donzi Marine is on the ropes. Will they too be a casualty of the greedy bastards..."

Note: There are no facts offered or presented
Note: It is stated in the form of a question, thus encouraging discussion which is what is happening here.
Note: Nobody said that Donzi WOULD NOT be at any shows, only that they are a company like many of the other companies listed in the first paragraph and thus subject to the economy and making business decisions that are designed to keep them financially afloat.
Note: Skipping certain boat shows would be a form of such economizing, although (and this too is just discussion) I disagree about the possibility of skipping the New York boat show because it is expensive. Rather, that show also reaches a HUGE audience of potential and receptive buyers - which is why there are two or three Donzi boat clubs in that area alone. Just the kind of crowd to pass on a 27ZR but get a nice new 22C in order to save some money and still have all the fun.

But, we will find out about Donzi's priorities and new offereings over the new 3 months of major boat shows across the country.

As folks attend your local shows, let us know whom you see and whom you do not.

boxy
12-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Mark, it wasn't the content, but rather the title of thread that seemed somewhat inflammatory.
Donzi skipping Miami Boat Show? reads more like a statement than a question.
Our board is often referenced as the place for Donzi info on larger boating boards, I wouldn't want what was supposed to foster discussion about the boating industry and the economy misconstrued and repeated to a larger audience.

mattyboy
12-11-2008, 07:54 AM
there was a rumor floating around one of the boards that they canceled the NYC show entirely!!!! just a rumor totally false but that's how urband legends get started .
I have skipped the NYC show for many years but last year some of my buddies talked me into it we went down and hooked up with some other friends who work at the Javitz Ctr and we turned it into an all nighter ;)

might try to get in on one of my day's off this year we'll see . i do know that the marinas by me are scaling way back with their presence and floor space if you look everyone is down-sizing on florr space I will wait to see if there is an 009 at the show if there is I want to see it in person

BTW there is no santa clause the easter bunny told me ;)

Air 22
12-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Mark, it wasn't the content, but rather the title of thread that seemed somewhat inflammatory.
Donzi skipping Miami Boat Show? reads more like a statement than a question.
Our board is often referenced as the place for Donzi info on larger boating boards, I wouldn't want what was supposed to foster discussion about the boating industry and the economy misconstrued and repeated to a larger audience.

Boxy...thank you!:wink:

Pismo
02-09-2010, 04:38 PM
How about this year?? I don't see Donzi or Proline on the 2010 exhibitor list? Anybody know?

DonziJosh
02-11-2010, 11:28 AM
How about this year?? I don't see Donzi or Proline on the 2010 exhibitor list? Anybody know?

Donzi is in-water at the Sea Line Marina, with a 38 ZR Comp in slip 215.

VetteLT193
02-11-2010, 11:39 AM

Sea Isle Marina I hope... the one part of the show @ the Marriott?

The Hedgehog
02-11-2010, 12:35 PM

Nice!

Pismo
02-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Wow, I am disappointed, I love their usual indoor display of classics in that door way between the two huge rooms at the conv center. I also like their outdoor display at the conv center.

zelatore
02-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Wow, I am disappointed, I love their usual indoor display of classics in that door way between the two huge rooms at the conv center. I also like their outdoor display at the conv center.

Well, it would be nice to have some classics there to be sure but at least they'll be there with something! And you have to admit, it makes more sense (from a manufacturer's point of view) to show a high-dollar boat like the 38 compared to the lower money classics.

Cuda
02-11-2010, 04:39 PM
If I owned a boat company, the last show I would skip would be the Miami Show. It is the Superbowl of the boating world.