PDA

View Full Version : Getting that tank in!

Speed Racer
12-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Tonight, the new fuel tank goes in the bow of the Ski Sporter V-drive... Can anyone give me a bit of guidance on the process? Any tips??

One question I do have is what to use for the foam that surrounds the tank. Is it just that stuff you get at Home Depot, or does it have some magical marine needs that I will have to spend 4 times more for??
I Tank you very much (Sorry! couldn't resist)

GG

Speed Racer
12-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Whoops!
I got a problem loading page message so re-posted.. sorry!! Please kill one of them! Thanks!

mrfixxall
12-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Tonight, the new fuel tank goes in the bow of the Ski Sporter V-drive... Can anyone give me a bit of guidance on the process? Any tips??

One question I do have is what to use for the foam that surrounds the tank. Is it just that stuff you get at Home Depot, or does it have some magical marine needs that I will have to spend 4 times more for??
I Tank you very much (Sorry! couldn't resist)

GG

Make sure the tank is screwed in before you foam it..you dont want to use the foam from home depot,evercoat foam,its a two part foam that you mix together and poar it around the tank..you may be able to get it from boat us..

zelatore
12-08-2008, 03:54 PM
evercoat foam,its a two part foam that you mix together and poar it around the tank..you may be able to get it from boat us..

I know West Marine stocks it.

mike o
12-08-2008, 06:04 PM
The higher the density the better. 2lb is floation foam, 4lb is structual. They expand better when the a-b parts are both above 70 degrees before mixing.:wink:

gcarter
12-08-2008, 06:59 PM
The CG requires 4#. Here's my source;
http://www.shopmaninc.com/foam.html

Go down to the 4# kit (16# which is about a gallon of each part).

You MUST secure the tank very well.
Here's an example of how I did one on the Minx I restored a few years ago;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36703&page=3

Good lucl!:):yes:

MOP
12-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Like mentioned above 4lb is the correct stuff, a tip you can mix a small batch on a flat surface then cut it into blocks to get the tank shimmed and spaced correctly. Then screw down 2x4's across the top at each end, if not held in place the foam will lift the tank several inches as it expands totally ruining your day!!! Cover everything in sight the foam will get on stuff and is a bioch to remove, I usually mask off using garbage bags and masking tape. I have not been following your thread on the tank, is it aluminum? If so has it been coated? Should have three-four coats Zinc Cromate, then two-three fairly heavy coats of epoxy tar. If it is poly no sweat!!