PDA

View Full Version : 1967 Donzi F14 Build

rustnrot
12-07-2008, 07:35 PM
I had some of this chronicled in another thread but it is buried and hard to find. So now it has its own thread.

F14 was purchased from MadPoodle by yesyoucan a year or two ago. We pulled it apart soon after yesyoucan got it and then it sat until October 2008.

A new 3.0L was purchased along with new lower and upper from Sterndrive engineering. We chose a regular Alpha 1 as it is slightly smaller than a Gen II and should be plenty for this 3.0L. I rebuilt a garden-variety Alpha 1 gimbal as these are not available as new aftermarket.

The original 80 hp Renault engine was disposed of. The original motor box had to be widened by 5 inches to clear the 3.0L exhaust leg and other goodies. All the original bulkheads were removed and replaced with new different ones to accomodate a new and different fuel tank, way different motor mounts, etc.

The deck had a large portion of the floor replaced due to previous owner having cut a large portion out to replace the fuel tank. This allowed water in and rotted some of the floor as well as de-lammed alot of the fiberglass covering. The new floor has a smaller access hatch to accomodate the new fuel tank arrangement.

We are going back with hull white up to chine, red sides, and white deck with flooring in red grizzly-grip, a type of rhino-lining material. We just got done with painting, we utilized Alexseal paint products, similar to Awlgrip. Mark is leaning towards white upholstery with red piping.

We are also have the lone original seat duplicated so it has dual seating. I guess these were all single-bucket-seat originally?

Rigging will start soon and hopefully go rather quickly as everything was mocked up and had mounting holes drilled ahead of time. We moved the positions of the dash and shifter slightly, changed the location of the fuel fill, added a grab bar on the left, filled numerous wayward holes, etc.

Link to all the photos I took:

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m178/rustnrot/Donzi%20F14/

Morgan's Cloud
12-08-2008, 07:03 AM
That's a whole lotta work going on there .... It should look amazing when complete !
What was the finished result like on the widened engine box ? I almost had to do this when I restored mine , but waited untill the engine was in and we then found that the clearance was OK.
In your case though , you have FOUR turns/ridges to blend/make vanish ..
Steve

LKSD
12-08-2008, 07:12 AM
Cool project.. :) Jamie

rustnrot
12-08-2008, 10:20 AM
More pics uploaded. We used hardware cloth to get the shape of the motor box curve and buried it in glass and resin. Note how the rear inside transom deck had to be cut to clear the 3.0L exhaust pipe on the port side. On the starboard side, we had to cut a slot for the steering cable. We could think of no way around that but we will put some kind of upholstered cover over it.

Tilt trim pump has to be mounted in front of the engine with custom longer hyd lines as there is no room for it just inside the transom.

Morgan's Cloud
12-08-2008, 11:55 AM
I know a LOT of work went into that .. It came out well too .
Nice to be able to retain the original parts and no-one can tell they've been modified .... Well , almost no-one ....:D

rustnrot
12-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Years ago when I did my first wooden Chris Craft restos I tried to be ridiculous original. Now I try to find things to improve and change. Even if all it does is piss off the purists it is worth it.:wink:

Next years's project is a Pulse Drive surface drive on a Cobalt GT500 (Corsican clone) with new 5.8L efi Ford Pleasurecraft Marine engine.

Bill McCleneghen
12-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi,

I am in the middle of the exact same project on my F-14.... would you mind me giving you a call to discuss...... I havent mounted my 3.0 merc yet...and just got done painting the deck......I have been thinking that I will also need to cut the deck to fit the exhaust elbow that sticks out farther than the original.

Thanks, Billy

Mysailscall@aol.com

BigGrizzly
12-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Nice:)

boldts
12-19-2008, 06:33 AM
So thats what that F-14 I towed down to Lake Cumberland looks like. :wink: It had one of those winter seal blue covers on it when I picked it up in MI and then towed it down to AOTH for Scott. I have some pics of it in my driveway if I can find them again. Even the same trailer too. Nice to see the boat back in shape. A timeless classic.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3452&d=1086308500
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3453&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1229088783
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3454&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1229088783

BUIZILLA
12-19-2008, 06:48 AM
different F14 Scott... :wink:

rustnrot
12-31-2008, 06:26 PM
We put the engine in place today. I have to adjust the front mount (got the tool) and also drill the two holes for the lag screws on it.

We went to the hydraulic hose shop and they took the ends off the old hoses I got with the gimbal (I rebuilt an alpha one, not gen II gimbal) and welded them onto fittings for the new hoses. I decided not to use the Mercruiser trim pump as it was too tall so I used this generic one and will have to build my own up-down relay circuit for it.

More pics here (in no particular order):

PS, the F14 under the blue shrink is the same F14.

bootdaddy
01-01-2009, 02:31 PM
very cool!

rustnrot
01-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Deck put on. For more pics go to

Went with Merc trim pump found out my generic only went to 600 lbs. Was able to get most wiring done and tested hydraulics prior to "decking".

Next up attach deck fasteners, get color-matched floor goo from www.grizzlygrip.com (http://www.grizzlygrip.com), then upholstery.

BigGrizzly
01-12-2009, 11:34 AM
NOW we are getting some place. Nice job.

rustnrot
01-16-2009, 02:50 PM
More pics of deck on. All wired up and electrical tested. Now gotta do some tabbing and screwing.

BigGrizzly
01-16-2009, 03:52 PM
It looks so good.

rustnrot
01-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Grizzly-Gripped the floor today...

BigGrizzly
01-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Hey Rustnot where in Ga are you. I am in Dawsonville. Maybe we could get to gether so I can see that real fin work you have done and get inspired. This I need, because I some times feel my boat needs a lot to be desired. I am finanially challenged but time I have.

rustnrot
01-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Augusta, GA last exit before SC on I-20, minutes from there.

We would like to have you come by will show you the unrestored Cobalt GT 500 also, as I recall you have a Corsican? PM me for phone number and when you may want to come, thanks.

rustnrot
01-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Seat bases and steering hooked up today.

rustnrot
01-29-2009, 09:09 AM
Hope to get some guys and put on trailer today. Reused the transom rub rail but not the sides.

Found a much BETTER steering wheel...

chappy
01-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Very jealous as I stare at that fine work.:cool!:

rustnrot
01-30-2009, 04:44 PM
First crank today, probably go to lake or river this coming Sunday.

Goes to upholstery shop next week.

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joh-zYrbEBc
I have never worked on an I/O before and was surprised to see the cooling water outlet was NOT thru the prop hub exhaust.

zelatore
01-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Hope to get some guys and put on trailer today. Reused the transom rub rail but not the sides.

Is that a Grant wheel? Looks a lot like mine except I went with a mahogany version.

rustnrot
01-30-2009, 07:35 PM
Uflex makes the wheel. They have a mahogany one also, the rim being mahogany but the center portion still black.

Cover pops off and nut is underneath in either case.

Donzi Racer
01-30-2009, 08:13 PM

Man on Man, ya'll done GOOD! Please tell me you are going to bring it to Mt. Dora this year. I see you went with the S E outdrive. Good choice. Tell your buddy we are still working on the Baby. My bother talked to him this week. Been working on it for over ten years now.

We are doing a barrel back as far as the rub rail and with some help we have finally found some original looking rub rail. Just curious about what you used, where you found it, & of course How Much?

Congrats on the F-14, you did a wonderful in such a short time frame.

Hope we are racing 14's this year at the Donzi Races in Traveres. Tom (mishunaire at aol.com)

rustnrot
01-30-2009, 08:22 PM
The rub rail is still made by TACO metals, easily available, probably $50 a 12 foot stick. The transom pieces are tricky as the two outer ones are fabbed, they look welded, the top piece is probably not too bad to bend.

I AM trying to get Mark to bring the F14 and/or the v drive 16 to the Classic Race Boat Show in Tavares, FL March 20-22, 2009.

BigGrizzly
01-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Rustnot this is a really cool deal. Looks I won't to be able to come over untill after Miami. It will be a good day.

rustnrot
02-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Took the F14 out for maiden voyage today on the Savannah River at Augusta, GA

Kept rpms below 3000 as per engine and drive break-in. Let me tell you, this boat is LIGHT. It feels fast and handles great, but of course didn't go fast probably 35 maybe 40 at 3000 rpms forgot the GPS bring it next time.

Jury still out on whether gonna reupholster the TODD seats, Mark is getting the one aluminum-framed driver seat it came with duplicated we'll see.

Donzi Racer, if you bring another 14 Donzi to the Classic Raceboat Show, Mark will DEFINATELY bring this. I am trying to get him to either bring this or the 16 v-drive to the show regardless...

sweet 16 1966
02-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Looks great! Mark looks happy!

BigGrizzly
02-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Life is good it looks great.

Donzi Racer
02-01-2009, 06:51 PM
The rub rail is still made by TACO metals, easily available, probably $50 a 12 foot stick. The transom pieces are tricky as the two outer ones are fabbed, they look welded, the top piece is probably not too bad to bend.

I AM trying to get Mark to bring the F14 and/or the v drive 16 to the Classic Race Boat Show in Tavares, FL March 20-22, 2009.

Thanks hope to see you there. If you need anything down here in Florida let me know.
Tell him to bring both, remember the 30 cents a mile for the race. I also think that the 14F woud be a crowd pleaser at the sunnyland boat show the week after. I think they are taking Donzi's now if they are older ones. Ya'll come, time togo racin!
Tom

Morgan's Cloud
02-02-2009, 06:50 AM
Congratulations ... That is just too cool . It looks great , just don 't forget to get the appropriate 'Brand lettering' for the sides .

BTW , the water dump you saw while running on the hose was 'the path of least resistance' ... For some reason , on the hose , the water seems to find the backpressure relief outlets first , under load and overboard it sure will come out of the prop too.

BUIZILLA
02-02-2009, 07:35 AM
Tell him to bring both, remember the 30 cents a mile for the race. they never paid me my .030/mile, nor did they launch my boat after I asked them 5 times over two days time, and they charged me $100 to park in a dirt lot while they didn't collect a penny from their friends camping there... cost me $700 in expenses for the weekend to sit on my ass, and they just sent me a registration form for this year, asking for more money again.. :nilly: a couple of the organization's gent's were SUPER cool and nice though, one owns a 22 Donzi, they were just somewhat unorganized in the pit's, unless your in their clique of skiff's..

rustnrot
02-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Mr. Cloud, thanks for the clarification.

Also funny you asked about the DONZI lettering. Mark and I are debating that now. I say just put on the Donzi Marine script chrome nameplates on and leave it at that. And put them on the red part not on the white where they look like they would snag on stuff. Also show up better on the red part. In my opinion, the decals are redundant and too big for this boat. Although if he (and everyone else) insists on the decals I would have them reduced probably to 3/4 size. The boat sits so low in the back that full size would extend below the water line at rest.

rustnrot
02-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Jim, I know you had a bad experience last year at the Raceboat Show. Not that it probably would have made any difference, but if you recall I was also supposed to help volunteer in the pits but got sick the whole weekend.

FYI, the entire association has a new board of directors, and the owner of the 22 Donzi, Dick Whyte, is now the President. Unfortunately, Tom D'eath is no longer the President nor in the club. His wife Judy passed away this past year and Tom is still in mourning.

FWIW, Mike Yobe (the tall guy) requested that I give him a hand in the pits this year. Now of course that could change but I know Mike has his hands full and more especially orchestrating the cranes for the hydros and all.

I will start another thread on this under EVENTS so if you want to discuss further I suggest go there, thanks.

rustnrot
02-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Quick Update, took F14 out again yesterday. No more leaks thru bottom alpha transom bolts.

3000 rpms with 1.62 drive ratio and 21 pitch prop is 38 mph (GPS reading). Only 3 hours on so far have not gone over 3k yet. We'll see if she pulls 4500+ rpms with this prop or have to bump down pitch some.

Very stable at 38 mph, probably that was all she would do with original 80 hp engine...

zelatore
02-09-2009, 01:33 PM
3000 rpms with 1.62 drive ratio and 21 pitch prop is 38 mph. Only 3 hours on so far have not gone over 3k yet. We'll see if she pulls 4500+ rpms with this prop or have to bump down pitch some.

Wow - that's going to be a rocket for a little 14' boat. What's the theoretical top end work out to at redline?

rustnrot
02-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Works out to 57 mph if the engine can pull 4500 rpms. Rumor has it these go "55" with the 3.0L so we may be right on the money.

dwiggl
02-09-2009, 02:32 PM
So that's like 114 if she were a Donzi 28! Rippin! Beautiful project!

zelatore
02-09-2009, 05:15 PM
What's the wet weight on that thing? I'm thinking it would make a great tender for the 72 we've got on the docks. Way cooler than the typical RIB. :yes:

rustnrot
02-09-2009, 09:08 PM
I'll see if I can roll it on the scales in the coming weeks.

I'll tell you what, I was skeptical at first, as in how cool can a "fishing" boat really be but every time we take it out I like it more and more. It has a fabulous Donzi deep vee bottom and has the benefit of awesome utility. It rides absolutely amazing for any size boat, but when you think it is only 14 feet long, it's mind boggling. The wake is very flat, both seats swivel 360 degrees, did I mention plenty of storage for skis and coolers?

I can't wait to meet some dude with his pristine classic 14' Whaler in this thing!

rustnrot
03-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Here are some pics of the repo seats we had made. Originally (based on factory literature) these boats only came with one bucket seat maybe two was an option, dunno, in any case all we got with this F14 was a frame for an original seat.

We contacted Pompanette and they told us they never made such a seat they were aware of. Wanting two, we repo'd them but made them better in my opinion to allow modern sliders underneath. Also, the original seat requires a non-standard seat base post due to smaller diameter.

The original seat as shown will probably be put up for sale, let us know. Would be nice to have if you want two seats and you already have one of these.

This boat is headed to Tavares, FL next week to participate in the Classic Raceboat Association www.classicraceboatassoc.com (http://www.classicraceboatassoc.com) event.

rustnrot
03-15-2009, 02:58 PM
Still needs some DONZI decals for the rear hullsides and some on the trailer and another seat back (duh)

Will post some on-water pics next week at the http://www.classicraceboatassoc.com/ show.

Donzi Racer
03-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Works out to 57 mph if the engine can pull 4500 rpms. Rumor has it these go "55" with the 3.0L so we may be right on the money.

2 quick things, As you probably know that beauty is gonna feel like you are flyin if she will turn 55, I hope she does 60. 2nd, the hull is quite remarkable. The 1st thing that my grandfather tried to do with our 14 Baby, was turn it over. He did everthing he could think of to try to turn it over. It just would not flip. He said that they had guaranteed him at the factory when he picked it up, that it would not turn over. Now I was only about 9 years old at the time, and I never said my Grandfather had any sense, but he sure was fun to grow up with him around, & Dang I miss that BOAT!
So looking forward to seeing it this coming week. T

BigGrizzly
03-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Gee, and I though it looked good before. It is a real piece of beauty.

Conquistador_del_mar
03-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Grizzly-Gripped the floor today...

Great looking restoration. It has been a while since I gelcoated a textured floor, but I always liked them. I used to use a thickening agent in the gelcoat and rolled it on with a looped roller. The viscosity had to be just right or it would leave sharp points. I would then spray on a coat of PVC to let it cure and then wash off the PVC afterwards. How did you accomplish yours? Bill

rustnrot
03-15-2009, 08:29 PM
We used a product called Grizzly Grip, www.grizzlygrip.com, basically like Rhino lining although do it your self (rolled on) not sprayed. They have 30 standard colors, we had a custom color to match the red hull. This is the third boat (first Donzi) I have used it on for the floor. I'm addicted to it, very easy to apply, looks great, and covers over minor cracks and fiberglass weave.

The paint on the hull is Alexseal, www.alexseal.com, very much like Awlgrip, in fact started by former Awlgrip employees I understand, very hard and very shiny no clear coat required.

Conquistador_del_mar
03-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the info on Grizzly Grip. I presume it has a rubber like feel with great grip even when wet. Sounds like the bees knees. How did you get a custom color? Bill

rustnrot
03-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Actually it gets harder than rubber more like really really hard rubber. There are two "grits", the F14 has the "fine" and we have not tried it when it was wet yet. The first two boats I did were "coarse" and they gripped like a mu-------.

Personally I like the looks (and feel) of the fine better. Getting a custom match is simple (and they only charge I think 10 bucks more per gallon). We have done it two ways:

1. Send them a sample, they scan it and make your stuff.
2. They have the entire Sherwin Williams data on their machine. Go to a Sherwin Williams store and get the number off what you want and call them with that number and they will make it. We got a closer match using the second method than the first and you don't have to wait for your sample to get there, etc.

They are great to work with and will tell you all this when you call them. And order EXTRA rollers. They said two I think per gallon, I have used two per gallon before but also 4-5 per gallon, the higher grit stuff wears out the rollers quicker!! Get the 4 inch. I see no reason for the longer rollers.

Also be ready to apply when it gets to you. They say it only has a 30 day shelf life. While, depending on what you get, it has an activator but is mostly moisture (humidity) cured. It cures really fast in the summer.

Conquistador_del_mar
03-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks again for the information. Being able to get just the right color means a lot. I am a little shocked at the short shelf life, but I suppose it simply means ordering it when you are ready to lay it down. I will bookmark the site and try it out on some project - possibly my Magnum floor that I will be restoring. I really like the properties and practicalities of the material. Bill

rustnrot
03-16-2009, 12:08 PM
My bad, they warranty it for 30 days say it has a shelf life up to 6 month if unopened. As fast as it kicks in the summer, you want to put it on as soon as you get it.

rustnrot
03-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Took the 23 inch pitch aluminum prop off today and put on a 19 inch, the only other one we had.

48.2 mph GPS at 4700 rpm with 14x19 prop with one person and half tank gas. Absolutely no chine walk or porpoising. Does not need tabs. Maybe it will go 50 mph someday after more break-in, it has less than 10 hours on it now. BTW, 50 is about what I really expected at the onset of this project, anything more and I really would have had a tough time believing it.

Donzi Racer
03-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Took the 23 inch pitch aluminum prop off today and put on a 19 inch, the only other one we had.

48.2 mph GPS at 4700 rpm with 14x19 prop with one person and half tank gas. Absolutely no chine walk or porpoising. Does not need tabs. Maybe it will go 50 mph someday after more break-in, it has less than 10 hours on it now. BTW, 50 is about what I really expected at the onset of this project, anything more and I really would have had a tough time believing it.

Boy, it looks fantastic at speed. Can't wait to see it. Where are ya'll? Going to be at the races? Tom

rustnrot
03-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Pictures were taken on Lake Dora, FL. We will be at the races this weekend. We will be setting up the race course Friday.

Call me (Tom) on 706-267-8729 or Mark at 706-564-9300 when you come to town. Friday is more likely to allow for rides as Sat and Sun Mark will be running the race course with it.

Donzi Racer
03-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Pictures were taken on Lake Dora, FL. We will be at the races this weekend. We will be setting up the race course Friday.

Call me (Tom) on 706-267-8729 or Mark at 706-564-9300 when you come to town. Friday is more likely to allow for rides as Sat and Sun Mark will be running the race course with it.

I will call you tomorrow. Will maybe come by for lunch. Glad you are going to get her wet Sat & Sun. That would be a great safety boat also. Tom

chappy
03-20-2009, 07:13 AM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44291&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1237501431 (http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44291&d=1237501431)

This picture is top shelf.:clap:

Phenomenal project Sir.

BigGrizzly
03-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Rust call me when you get home I mite have an idea on prop.

Morgan's Cloud
03-20-2009, 12:49 PM
That has got to be the greatest attention grabber wherever you go.

I'm glad you got the 'lettering issue' sorted out :biggrin.:

Now that I think of it ..... That has to be one of the smallest boats ever built with an I/O .... Can anyone confirm that , or think of anything smaller ?

rustnrot
03-21-2009, 05:09 PM
There was only one other Donzi on the course with Mark today, and Mark Won!! The other Donzi, an 18 owned by a fellow named Lee Hildreth, has a NASCAR engine in it, detuned to 600+ HP running an Alpha SS but he did not finish due to water pump issues.

Lee later sorted it out and wow, does it fly, he says he does about 85 mph with it and is CAREFUL with the Alpha SS.

rustnrot
03-22-2009, 06:07 AM
Some money shots...

BigGrizzly
03-22-2009, 07:57 AM
Donzi leading the Aristocraft, I think that is what that is.,maybe

BUIZILLA
03-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Griz, that's a Raveau..... awesome boats...

BigGrizzly
03-22-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks Buiz, still nice looking.

BUIZILLA
03-22-2009, 08:17 AM
I call the builder of those boats 3-4 times a year to find one, he's booked until retirement... but i'm on the list, for about 2017 :rolleyes:... he just delivered one here in Coral Gables, guy waited several years... they are gorgeous 22* hulls... I am going to see him next week in Tavares if I can get there and bug him again..

Donzi Racer
03-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Some money shots...

Was that great fun or what. Great shots. Tell Mark it looks fantastic under way. I beat that red Donzi last year in the 22 only because he went the wrong way at one of the buoys. He won the next heat over a big block 22 and our little Donzi Baby outboard which came in last. Tom

rustnrot
03-24-2009, 08:26 AM
The NASCAR powered Donzi was radar-gunned at 81 mph at the "race". The big Raveau kept right up, it was neck and neck for several laps. I do not know what he did to the Merc "200 hp" outboard but it was fast.

I also heard that he was done making the Raveau. He will make two more (spoken for) and then quit, so good luck Jim on getting one.

I am not sure but the big Raveau does not seem 22 feet to me more like 18-19 feet.

seano
08-24-2012, 09:49 AM
cool boat! how is the alexseal holding up? did you use it below the waterline?

rustnrot
08-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Alexseal is fantastic, would use it again. Yes, we used it below the waterline and it is in perfect condition there. However, it has never been in the water for more than a day or two before removal. It has, however, spent alot of its life inches away from the water on a boat lift in a freshwater lake.

seano
08-24-2012, 11:20 AM
thank you for the prompt reply.