PDA

View Full Version : lanyards

BUIZILLA
12-07-2008, 08:33 AM
I don't leave the dock without one.... I can't believe the amount of people that don't use them, and they are right there on the dash..

with that said, and i'm not big on copying someone elses stuff, but maybe Danny or the Registry can have something made like the wrist wrap ones from Tres Martins School, make and sell them to promote the Donzi cause for safety. After all, we should be example setters...

what say you?

chappy
12-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Great idea Buizilla.

Another note, we should all test them on a regular basis. I had my motor rebuilt/freshened a few years back. When it was dropped back in, I decided to test the kill switch, which did nothing when I pulled the lanyard on plane. Little scary. During the install, it wasn't hooked up properly. Easy fix, but it made me think of how many of us actually test them.

Sorry for the hijack, I would be interested in buying a custom lanyard to support the site, if it ever should come up. Good idea.:yes:

farmer tx
12-07-2008, 08:54 AM
:idea: Great idea Jim!!

BUIZILLA
12-07-2008, 08:55 AM
I tried to paste a pic of Tres' design, which is the ONLY design you should use from another site, but it wouldn't bite, so someone else will have to try that for me.. Tres' design allows any factory lanyard clip to fasten to a bridle, so you can still wear the strap off the vessel to display the Donzi name on the docks or where ever you go...

I feel very strongly about this...

chappy
12-07-2008, 09:11 AM
http://www.tresmartinperformance.com/classifieds/index.php?page=out&id=32

Here they are, I couldn't get the pic to load either, but here's the link, just right click it and open in another tab.

Trueser
12-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Picture

And I would buy some.

Donziweasel
12-07-2008, 09:17 AM
I like em, plus if you are driving naked, you have a place to clip it to.......:wink:

Carl C
12-07-2008, 09:22 AM
I ALWAYS clip mine to my shorts or life vest. It's also a good way to disable the engine if you want to crank it without it starting, like to pump out the raw water pump for winterizing.

fogducker III
12-07-2008, 09:39 AM
I didn't realize there was an actual product like that out there.....:confused:

I was tired of wrapping the red coiled Merc one around my wrist, I always seemed to pull some hair out no matter how careful I was....:eek:

I grabbed this elasticated velcro set-up at a hardware store that a local guy was selling to wrap up ropes, extension cords etc and I stiched a big plastic D ring onto it.........works great, cost $3............

BUIZILLA
12-07-2008, 09:45 AM
I've seen some racers wear these straps on their upper arms or lower legs/ankles, it seems that the wrist wraps would interfere with the proximity of throttles or steering, so I guess these guys want the strings far away from those movable or rotating items... that would also not kill the engine if you simply just turned around to grab something, or tie up a midship dock line.

anyway, it's just food for thought

Greg K
12-07-2008, 09:59 AM
I've had one of these for the past two years and highly recommend them. These are the same wrist bands and you can purchase them direct.
http://www.atlantisenterprises.com/productswater/lanyard/profloatlanyard.htm
http://www.atlantisenterprises.com/productswater/images/profloatlanyard.jpg

Lenny
12-07-2008, 10:06 AM
TESTING the kill switch is a GREAT idea. And often. I have put a lot of false security in mine, and run "differently" in water I normally wouldn't cuz i know she'll be close by for me to swim to...only to find out later that it did not work.

I test mine everytime out. Alaso clip it to my waist so that it is low.

...and yes, I do stand up from time to time and accidently stall the motor just to show I am human...

MOP
12-07-2008, 11:17 AM
After ton of years of wearing a lanyard in as many boats I now would never wear one on my wrist again, Awhile back I went to wave another boat away from a hazard! Yes you guessed it I pulled the lanyard killed the engine at a very inopportune moment causing a close call for myself. When I installed a new one on the 22 I put it low and now strap to my ankle, it keeps it out of my way and from getting caught on anything it decides to catch onto.

fasttrucker
12-07-2008, 12:16 PM
I never wear it.:shades:y they suck.I might wear one if I was in a race or I guess you would have to wear it.Ive been in some tricky ruff stuff in my 28zx and sould have had it on,but I didnt.I had a old fishing boat with a flybridge.It had a single v-6 johnson outboard on a bracket.I was in pompano beach and took the boat up to speed when the steering nut/bolt broke off.I threw the boat out of gear,just like a kill switch would have cut the motor off. I smashed a dock,destroying it.I think it was more important for me to have insurance, which paid the claim,then to wear a lanyard.Live on the edge,Its more fun.
:crossfing:

osur866
12-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Fasttrucker, exactlly what bodies of water do you boat on? I want to make sure I don't boat on it around irresponsiable boaters like yourself. As an FYI many insurance companies will deny claims if saftey equipment was not used. Maybe you can live with killing yourself and other people by being COOL or don't want to hassle with wearing a lanyard :confused: but I won't take that chance brother! I have a wrist one and unless on idle is always on. Steve

gcarter
12-07-2008, 12:28 PM
I like em, plus if you are driving naked, you have a place to clip it to.......:wink:
What a scarry thought in your part of the world.

zelatore
12-07-2008, 12:34 PM
I generally test mine a couple times a year by forgetting I have it on - usually as I come up to a port-side dock. Doh!

roadtrip se
12-07-2008, 01:33 PM
I am going to look into these as an offer for the AOTH this year.

A lanyard attached to the captain and a life vest for all passengers will be a requirement on the organized runs this year, no exceptions.

DONZI
12-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Great idea Buizilla.

Another note, we should all test them on a regular basis. I had my motor rebuilt/freshened a few years back. When it was dropped back in, I decided to test the kill switch, which did nothing when I pulled the lanyard on plane. Little scary. During the install, it wasn't hooked up properly. Easy fix, but it made me think of how many of us actually test them.

Sorry for the hijack, I would be interested in buying a custom lanyard to support the site, if it ever should come up. Good idea.:yes:

I wore mine an entire Summer one yr. not realizing it was not working.:nilly:
I use a small D ring and it works out great.

So,how fast does it happen ??
See vids-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihN6dNUP5Sc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsOvVChusU0&feature=related

RedDog
12-07-2008, 03:23 PM
I always wear mine but often do not have a good spot to clip it to me so I wrap it around my leg. This would be much more convenient.

I would buy one that said AOTH, Donzi, or whatever.

Team Jefe
12-07-2008, 03:24 PM
I generally test mine a couple times a year by forgetting I have it on - usually as I come up to a port-side dock. Doh!

Don I ws thinking the same thing:wink:

Ghost
12-07-2008, 03:32 PM

What a scarry thought in your part of the world.

Agreed--"The Blue Acorn Team" just doesn't have the same appeal.

slapshot11
12-07-2008, 03:50 PM
I always wear one. I usually clip it to the belt loop on my pants. The wrist strap looks like a good idea to me.

CHACHI
12-07-2008, 04:40 PM
A lanyard...................I wear one now.

Short version......

Went to take a ride on the St Lawrence on early morning but the water was very rough so I just cruised at 35-40 MPH. The further down river I went the smoother it became.

Next thing I was watching the GPS running in the low 70's.

Next thing I was barrel rolling down the river, not the boat just me.
When I finally stopped, I was just focused on getting back to the boat which was 50 yards away, guessing on that one. Distance was not that important but trying to swim and breathe was very difficult at best.

Once I climbed up the outdrive I noticed the windshield frame was bent, I fired up the boat and drove the 20 miles home. I must admit, I really don't remember the return trip, but I do remember pulling in the boathouse.
Only other "damage" was a scuff from my shorts on the passenger seat. I don't know how hard you have to hit a seat to remove color from a pair of shorts, but I had a nice blue streak about 4 inches long.
Damage to me, a broken foot, damaged shoulder, a floatie in my eye, ribs that were killing me, and a black eye. I figured I hit the water face first and the black eye was from my sunglasses. Oh yeah, I did loose the GPS and my Maui Jims.

So why am I wearing a lanyard now, because I wasn't wearing one when I was thrown out. While I was pinballing in the cockpit, I had to of hit the kill switch with my hip or some other part of my body and kill the engine.

One other thing, I promised my bride that any speeds over 40 I would also wear my Lifeline. Where was it during all this? In the boat on the floor of the cockpit right next to my wife's Lifeline.

Yeah, I wear a lanyard. I clip it to a belt loop or the D ring on my jacket.

I don't leave the boathouse without it. I don't think I could be that lucky twice.

Ken

gcarter
12-07-2008, 05:43 PM
A lanyard...................I wear one now.

Short version......

Went to take a ride on the St Lawrence on early morning but the water was very rough so I just cruised at 35-40 MPH. The further down river I went the smoother it became.

Next thing I was watching the GPS running in the low 70's.

Next thing I was barrel rolling down the river, not the boat just me.
When I finally stopped, I was just focused on getting back to the boat which was 50 yards away, guessing on that one. Distance was not that important but trying to swim and breathe was very difficult at best.

Once I climbed up the outdrive I noticed the windshield frame was bent, I fired up the boat and drove the 20 miles home. I must admit, I really don't remember the return trip, but I do remember pulling in the boathouse.
Only other "damage" was a scuff from my shorts on the passenger seat. I don't know how hard you have to hit a seat to remove color from a pair of shorts, but I had a nice blue streak about 4 inches long.
Damage to me, a broken foot, damaged shoulder, a floatie in my eye, ribs that were killing me, and a black eye. I figured I hit the water face first and the black eye was from my sunglasses. Oh yeah, I did loose the GPS and my Maui Jims.

So why am I wearing a lanyard now, because I wasn't wearing one when I was thrown out. While I was pinballing in the cockpit, I had to of hit the kill switch with my hip or some other part of my body and kill the engine.

One other thing, I promised my bride that any speeds over 40 I would also wear my Lifeline. Where was it during all this? In the boat on the floor of the cockpit right next to my wife's Lifeline.

Yeah, I wear a lanyard. I clip it to a belt loop or the D ring on my jacket.

I don't leave the boathouse without it. I don't think I could be that lucky twice.

Ken

Ken;
I was wondering if you were ever going to tell that story.

smokediver
12-07-2008, 06:13 PM
good point buzz .. Another option is the jet ski style where there is a neoprene wrist bracelet attached at the end of the cord and it is easy on and off ..

undertaker
12-07-2008, 06:13 PM
I never wear it.:shades:y they suck.I might wear one if I was in a race or I guess you would have to wear it.Ive been in some tricky ruff stuff in my 28zx and sould have had it on,but I didnt.I had a old fishing boat with a flybridge.It had a single v-6 johnson outboard on a bracket.I was in pompano beach and took the boat up to speed when the steering nut/bolt broke off.I threw the boat out of gear,just like a kill switch would have cut the motor off. I smashed a dock,destroying it.I think it was more important for me to have insurance, which paid the claim,then to wear a lanyard.Live on the edge,Its more fun.
Fast, you boat is too slow to worry about it....

PS you really need to think before you post.....:toiletpap

Air 22
12-07-2008, 06:16 PM
I always wear one..Safety First..no exceptions:wink:...I made a wrist lanyard from Red nylon tie strap that has velcro...works like a charm:cool:

undertaker
12-07-2008, 06:20 PM
I always wear mine my safety and my family's safety is my first priority...I would purchase one of these in a heartbeat would be cool if we could get one that has Donzi on it..:)

Undertaker:pimp:

undertaker
12-07-2008, 06:21 PM
I always wear one..Safety First..no exceptions:wink:...I made a wrist lanyard from Red nylon tie strap that has velcro...works like a charm:cool:

That's because you are a professional race boat driver:nilly::nilly::boggled::yes::boat:

DonziJon
12-07-2008, 06:55 PM
I have an 1/8 Dacron cord about 24" long ("Leachcord") with a "Noose" around my wrist on the throttle side. I'm not sure Velcro will stand the shock when I exit the boat. I think it would likely RIP off.

Another job I use Leachcord for: Three loops of Leachcord through the eye on the top of my Alpha I allows the drive to hang on my crane during handling..

Leachcord can be found at a local Sailmakers. John

Ghost
12-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Always been a fan of attaching to the belt or somewhere else near the waist, for both the freedom of hand movement and not accidentally killing power.

SilverBack
12-07-2008, 08:41 PM
I will buy one!! Thanks for the idea Jim!! I have been thinking about so much getting my boat going that I just thought back and that is one of the things that came up missing down at DWM. When we tested the boat I didn't even remember. I know that is really stupid...I just had so much on my mind with all of the problems....That would have been one of the very times that it would have made a whole lot of sense to have it on. Now that I think of it I don't know why but it was not even hooked up to the kill switch or in the boat. I am sending Mark an email to make sure that he gets it hooked back up and working.

There was a news story posted here or on one of the boat sires a year or two ago about a guy that just bought a new Donzi and was showing his wife or girlfriend how good his new boat cornered. The boat hooked and threw her into him breaking his rib(s) when they were ejected from the boat. They could not save him because the boat kept running in circles and they could not get to him. The guy drowned. It was terrible. This is such an easy thing to do to be a lot safer.

There were two Cig Top Guns that hooked and threw the people out and ran threw the woods while my boat was at DWM. If they would have had there lanyards on they may have saved there boats. Luckily no one was hurt on those two accidents!!

Like I said. I will buy a couple!!

mattyboy
12-08-2008, 08:49 AM
I seem to recall reading somewhere not sure where about a teatherless lanyard system with a proximity control and also a trigger like an inflatable pfd so if you go so far from the helm or get wet the engine dies it was based on the new smart keys that the newer cars have or was i dreaming again
and if I was dreaming I call DIBS it is my idea

we had a crash on our lake a few years back the boat that got hit the victims had their pfd's on and survived the ejection after being hit but didn't survive as their boat with throttle jammed eventually circled and ran them over the boat that hit them had a laynard on that driver didn't survive but when he was ejected his boat died
it took rescuers some time to foul the props with nets and lines sad story

since then i am a believer

Team Jefe
12-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Here is one I've been looking at.
http://www.marinelock.com/AutoTether-Wireless-Lanyard-Great-Holiday-Gift_p_11-100.html

its kinida pricey, but when I Run the boat alone I need to be "tied" to the kill switch at all time, and this will still give me some room to move around.

fasttrucker
12-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Fast, you boat is too slow to worry about it....
PS you really need to think before you post.....:toiletpap
Your right,my 22zx is too slow to worry about a lanyard.Thanks undertaker for suporting my decision to not wear it!.............:bonk: P.S. Its been too long since Ive liven-up the board!:nilly:
Ive been really good since I posted about doc,s new harley davidson pick-up truck.......Remember that.....oh man I caught some **** for that one!!!:boggled::boggled::wink:

roadtrip se
12-08-2008, 12:23 PM
I've become pretty good buddies with the guy that owns my storage.

He was admiring the SE one day and got very quiet as he looked at the prop.

I asked what was up?

Same deal as described here many times, a good friend gets thrown from a bass boat, no lanyard on, the boat kept circling until it slices him to pieces.

The pain in his eyes was very real.

Such an easy thing to avoid.

undertaker
12-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Your right,my 22zx is too slow to worry about a lanyard.Thanks undertaker for suporting my decision to not wear it!.............:bonk: P.S. Its been too long since Ive liven-up the board!:nilly:
Ive been really good since I posted about doc,s new harley davidson pick-up truck.......Remember that.....oh man I caught some **** for that one!!!:boggled::boggled::wink:

Fast, just remember I require payment up front for my services when your SLOW boat runs over your arse:uzi::uzi:

The X Man
12-08-2008, 07:38 PM
I never leave the dock without the lanyard on, but I wrap it around my leg, no belt when you drive naked. maybe a snowboard leash attachment might be the ticket.

undertaker
12-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Yes, but doesn't he get the "pre-disassembled" discount? :boggled::popcorn:

NO!!!:boggled::boggled::bonk::bonk:

fasttrucker
12-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Fast, just remember I require payment up front for my services when your SLOW boat runs over your arse:uzi::uzi:
Ouch............Ill start getting into shape for next summer,then ill just swim out of the way of the boat!.....Wouldnt the boat just go straight smashing into the rocks at turkey point expolding:shocking: into a million tiny bits.Then I get to collect the insurance money?:kingme:Oh,I forgot that I never wear a life jacket.:bonk:So I would drown and my body would never be found.The crabs or :shark: would eat me.I guess then that I will not be needing the undertakers help.:yes:

SilverBack
12-12-2008, 02:23 PM
So..has anybody heard anything? Is anybody thinking about coming up with some Donzi Lanyards for us to buy? There are several of us that want to live that want to wear a lanyard!!

undertaker
12-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Ouch............Ill start getting into shape for next summer,then ill just swim out of the way of the boat!.....Wouldnt the boat just go straight smashing into the rocks at turkey point expolding:shocking: into a million tiny bits.Then I get to collect the insurance money?:kingme:Oh,I forgot that I never wear a life jacket.:bonk:So I would drown and my body would never be found.The crabs or :shark: would eat me.I guess then that I will not be needing the undertakers help.:yes:

I wasn't going to respond because this thread does not deserve to be hijacked.....BUT.......Bill you really need to put down the crack pipe:fire: you really have a screwy way of expressing yourself on these boards..joking or not you come off like someone who smokes a lot of crack:toiletpap

Now back to the thread topic....Donzi lanyards would be COOL I am in for one if we can get this going..

Undertaker:pimp:

fasttrucker
12-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Undertaker your right so....Ok,Ill quit the coke and start back on the H......:wink:....
Yes,the donzi lanyards do sound cool,So sign me up and ill buy one.:nilly:
Truck driver who will stop highjacking the threads............No more C.B. Talk

Magicallbill
12-14-2008, 05:50 PM
I hate lanyards..I'm mechanically challenged to the max, so when I bought my Scorp. 18, I couldn't get it attached to the dash..The salesman attached it and I never used it afterword.

Fast forward 5 years...

I sold the boat to Roadtrip and Jill..they came to test it, and all the way to the ramp I bragged about the "turn-key" dependability, and when we launched, it wouldn't start..

Crap...

I wasn't aware that during his pre-launch inspection, Roadtrip had disconnected the lanyard. I never thought about it, since I never messed with it, and was embarrassed to the hilt that the "turn-key" Scorpion wouldn't start for the prospective owner because the lanyard was unattached.
Imagine.. The thing started right up for 5 straight years, then, when I needed it to most...Nothing..
He re-connected the lanyard, a successful test run was implemented, and the boat was sold.

Yes, I know the safety value in lanyards, and I suppose I deserve 50-lashes, but they are a pain to me..

Hope all have a safe and happy holiday season,

Magic.

Dr. Dan
12-15-2008, 08:58 PM
:wink: I am in communication with a Supplier to provide the Wrist Strap - I am checking on the Minimums required and the options for say :
DONZI or maybe even Club Names, depends on the requirements... DONZI would be pretty simple...

These things tend to require a bit of a number to make it feasible....but we will see...give me some time ...and I will see what I can do.

Doc of Safety Standards :angel:

SilverBack
12-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks Doc!!! I am sure that they will be first class if you end up doing them!! Are you having the cooler sale this year? I need another one. A big one!!

Dr. Dan
12-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Thanks Doc!!! I am sure that they will be first class if you end up doing them!! Are you having the cooler sale this year? I need another one. A big one!!

Shoot me an email and I will add you to my next order, they come in Black, Navy and Red you can select your choice of the Donzi Logos for the Top Cover Flap, each have DONZI on the side flaps in your choice of stitch colors.

See the pics under the Gifts Section on our Site www.atlanticcoastdonzi.com

Doc :shades:
drdan93@comcast.net

Air 22
12-15-2008, 10:31 PM
:wink: I am in communication with a Supplier to provide the Wrist Strap - I am checking on the Minimums required and the options for say :
DONZI or maybe even Club Names, depends on the requirements... DONZI would be pretty simple...
These things tend to require a bit of a number to make it feasible....but we will see...give me some time ...and I will see what I can do.

Keeping my fingers crossed...:crossfing:...Thanks DOC!!:kingme:

Trueser
12-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Dan,
I will take three.

Dr. Dan
12-16-2008, 04:34 AM
Dan,
I will take three.

OK Mike,

I am out in Atlantic City at our Annual Convention, when I get back I will be speaking to the supplier and he is gonna run some of the Design Layouts by his peeps. In an ideal world we can do these with out too much trouble...but if its gonna be I am stuck with 500 Wrist bands and a $3000 up front investment to hit the minimum...I am not interested.

So lets see what we come up with. I spoke to him yesterday....

Talk Soon

Doc

chappy
12-16-2008, 07:42 AM

Thanks Doc, I'd be interested in a few. Heck, any of them I don't use, I'll put on my friend's Fountains and Glastrons just to be a wise azz.:cool:

roadtrip se
12-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Danny, let me know what you need for volumes and pricing.

I would like to offer these at the AOTH IX, since lanyard and life jacket use are requirements for the run.

I think we can advance you a little dough from the MWDC for something like this. I'll check with the guys.

Tom A.
12-16-2008, 01:13 PM
I always wear my lanyard, never get on plane without it!:yes:

I will take two of the wrist bands when you start taking orders, one for my Comp:drive: and one for my SeaDoo jet boat:boat:.

Trueser
04-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Dan,

Did we get this stuff in order?