PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Hull

DonziFreak
12-05-2008, 09:00 PM
As you guys know, I have the '67 Barrel-Back, but it's got a huge crack on the port side, next to the cockpit, at about the the front seat or dash-board area. I'm looking for the best way to deal with this, praying that the deck doesn't have to come off.....The crack has been filled once before, but cracked thru the filler too.....:boggled:

BlownCrewCab
12-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Sounds like you need to glass it from the inside. (pay someone to) climb up in front and reach back in there with a small angle grinder and prep the area real good, most important is to remove the "Fractured glass", no repair will ever be good if the fractured material is left in and gassed over, thats just a weak spot to start a fracture again. once the area is prepped it won't take allot of new material to fix as long as the problem stuff is removed. once the inside is fixed then concentrate on the outside. Cracks can't be effectivly fixed from the outside.

gcarter
12-06-2008, 06:17 AM
I know you don't want to, but I'd pull the deck.
It's very easy to do and you would probably want to do a few other things while you're in there.
Blown is right. It has to be done correctly. Probably what you're seeing is the result of someone else attempting to do what he described.

DonziFreak
12-06-2008, 08:15 AM
We are second owners of the boat and it wasn't cracked until about i would say roughly ten years ago, we sanded and filled in, and it came back. I just don't know what to do there, I know it has to be done from the inside, but is there any way to do it without pulling the deck? I just don't have the resources available to pull a deck....

gcarter
12-06-2008, 08:48 AM
We are second owners of the boat and it wasn't cracked until about i would say roughly ten years ago, we sanded and filled in, and it came back. I just don't know what to do there, I know it has to be done from the inside, but is there any way to do it without pulling the deck? I just don't have the resources available to pull a deck....
I do.

DonziFreak
12-07-2008, 08:37 AM
What'cha got in mind?