PDA

View Full Version : Critter is fixed!!!!

Donziweasel
12-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Man, I had my ass handed to me this week. Problems with the bank, had to fire an employee I really cared about, business off 30%, bus order delayed a month, and a bunch of other stuff.....

Then, when I considered this week possibly the worse I have had in a year, I got the call......When Don drove the Critter this summer, he noticed a "clunk" in the drive. I told the broker I wanted it looked at by an independent Merc mechanic of my choice. Regardless of what I purchased it for, a new drive is NOT in the budget, which it could have been. Ended up, when the engine and drive were replaced in 2004, they weren't perfectly aligned. Wore the u-joint out. Now, aligned, u-joint replaced and I can pick it up.

After this week, I am just not sure I am in the mood to go get it. Might just take it easy and relax, probably get it next week.

gold-n-rod
12-05-2008, 07:25 PM
After this week, I am just not sure I am in the mood to go get it. Might just take it easy and relax, probably get it next week.

I call BS. You'll be after that thing fast as a kid getting his first piece of a$$!

:wink:

onesubdrvr
12-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Glad to hear it's all set!!

Sorry to hear about your woes though. In my work, I see 4-6 different customers a day, from all different walks of the world, concrete plants, automotive repair, boat builders, etc. Most people I see are down at least 30%, most boat builders down nearly 66% (Maverick boat down from 28 boats a week to less than that in a month). It is brutal out there right now for sure.

Hang in there, and make sure to stay warm.

Wayne

chappy
12-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Congrats DW. Sounds like you dealt with some quality, professional people on the selling end of your Crit, assuming they flipped the bill. That's always nice to hear.

Donziweasel
12-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Randy, got home, had a drink, and thinkin a quick trip to Tahoe maybe ain't such a bad idea.

Dwayne, finiancial woes are hopefully temporary. If we get snow, they will come. Just hadn't had much yet. Need to have the 605 inch year we had last year. Still, we have had 79 inches so far.......you listening Bill?????:wink:

Rich, ya know, they have been a real pleasure to deal with. Done everything I asked. Quality people, if I ever have to (yeah right, I mean-when I have to) buy another boat, I hope the people I deal with are like Blue Water. If my 16 doesn't sell, I am thinking of listing it with them.:)

Damn, amazing what a nice rum and some peace and quiet can do for your attitude.:wink:

The Hedgehog
12-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Randy, got home, had a drink, and thinkin a quick trip to Tahoe maybe ain't such a bad idea.
Dwayne, finiancial woes are hopefully temporary. If we get snow, they will come. Just hadn't had much yet. Need to have the 605 inch year we had last year. Still, we have had 79 inches so far.......you listening Bill?????:wink:
Rich, ya know, they have been a real pleasure to deal with. Done everything I asked. Quality people, if I ever have to (yeah right, I mean-when I have to) buy another boat, I hope the people I deal with are like Blue Water. If my 16 doesn't sell, I am thinking of listing it with them.:)
Damn, amazing what a nice rum and some peace and quiet can do for your attitude.:wink:

Just drop me a pm with the info and we will finalize everything!:yes:

sweet 16 1966
12-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Congratulations to the elite crew of Critter owners. Hope you will share some pics with us.

mrfixxall
12-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Congrats!! Hey j, make sure you pull the plugs and have it winterized before you make the long cold trip if it aint done already:wink:

BlownCrewCab
12-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Need info on Rum and The Piece you describe, Yeah, I wouldn't go get my boat either....(Til Tomorrow)

gold-n-rod
12-05-2008, 10:34 PM
I'd like to see pics of the "critter and cooter" up on the top of the page, no later than Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cuda
12-06-2008, 05:41 AM

I was out of rum yesterday, and had to settle for a screwdriver. :)

Donziweasel
12-06-2008, 07:09 AM
Ahhh, a nice Captain and coke (diet coke per Boo Boo's strict diet:wink:).

Mike, it is winterized. Told them I was draggin that poor Critter to the Arctic. :cool:

Now, as for a quick trip to Tahoe, it is 10 hours from here. Thinkin' I might Uship it to Salt Lake City and pick it up there. Only 3 1/2 hours from here. Got a bid of 454.00. I think I would almost burn 300.00 in fuel in the F-350. Boo Boo won't let me borrow the Expedition, even though I pay for it:confused:.........Sometimes I swear she loves that damn car more than me!:):bonk:

Lakes aren't frozen yet, could I get a quick ride before they freeze???? You know, I am probably crazy enough to do it.....:eek:

Lenny, I think a ride right now would make the ride we took look like summer. Brrrrrrr.........:boat:

Bill, gots a storm a commin' on Monday!!!!!!:):):)

Donziweasel
12-06-2008, 08:49 AM
Get off yer ass and go get it. Hell, if we can tow Buiz's in a blizzard, so can you....

I've never driven in snow........I'm scared.:bonk::)

I forgot how terrible those Florida blizzards get........:wink:

BUIZILLA
12-06-2008, 08:50 AM
there was about a half hour time frame at one point before we could even take that first pic, because we couldn't even see the cockpit cover at all... all we could see was the deck stripe at the bow... :eek: virtual whiteout from RT 9 west on 195 to NJ turnpike where we illegally (?) made a run south, the snow for 2 hours going a few miles west on 195 was nothing compared to the black ice on the NJ pike, i'll take powder any day over clear skies and black ice... when we saw the salt dump trucks, plows, and wreckers parked we knew we had an issue in a 2wd dually, but we kept on anyways... WAFNC :kingme:

Donziweasel
12-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Jim, Hmmm.....glad you made it. The dually is the worst vehicle in snow, especailly 2wd. Takes 50% of the bite off your tires. Man, must have been some white knuckle driving. Bet you didn't have snow tires either. Ever get a little sideways? Trailer might have actually helped by putting a little longue wieght on the ass of the truck.

BUIZILLA
12-06-2008, 09:18 AM
the first pic was decision time in the gas station on RT9... hell yeah we're going for it as we slid down the driveway with fuzzy chasing me to jump back in because if I stopped we weren't going anywhere's after that, I wasn't stopping no matter what until we got over the bridge to MD, and he knew it... :wink: and I also had possession of his Subway lunch... :angel:

txtaz
12-06-2008, 09:19 AM
Actually, it was the sight of the snowplow in the ditch that had me a tad concerned :eek: :eek:

Now that's hardcore...I like it.

DW, Go get your toy, you wiill feel better.

Da Taz<---My .02, devalued to .01:shocking:

BUIZILLA
12-06-2008, 11:30 AM
And ya left out the part where I had been standing blocking traffic for like 10 minutes on Rte 9 whilst your truck was going back n forth in the gas station trying to get rolling.. Them Joisey folks were getting a tad err, unfriendly :eek::boggled::yes::yes::nilly: it wasn't 10 minutes... :nilly: more like a light change.... :kingme:

Donziweasel
12-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Subway vs. Joisey sub, light change vs. 10 minutes, are you sure you two were on the same trip????:bonk::)

Damn Jim, why didn't you take Fuzzy's 4x4?:wink:

BUIZILLA
12-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Damn Jim, why didn't you take Fuzzy's 4x4?:wink: he didn't own it then...

BUIZILLA
12-06-2008, 12:00 PM
actually, the Michelin's were awesome, as long as you were rolling and shedding snow/ice from the treads, and after I let 20# of air out of all 6 tires, which I crawled in the ice to do while you warmed your buns for 30 minutes in the sub shop... brat

Donziweasel
12-06-2008, 12:04 PM
That trip convinced me to go 4WD the next time...

Hey, always said, I would rather have it and not need it vs. needing it once and not having it.

Now, how come it sounds like poor Jim did all the work and all you did was eat sandwinches, stay warm, and politly converse with Joisey locals????:bonk::)

Racing slicks vs. the Michelins. It sounds like the slicks might be better!!LOL

BUIZILLA
12-06-2008, 12:14 PM
he was too busy laughing when I was spinning the tires trying to navigate out of Pearson's driveway... which continued from the laughing when we discovered there was no drain plug in the Critter AFTER we pulled it out of the water at the ramp swap... an 1 1/4" hole puts a LOT of water in the bilge in 5 minutes... :shocking: which continued from the laughing when we discovered the original trailer probably couldn't make it one block to the ramp... :nilly: Pearson was truly the hero that day, I owe him immensely :yes:

Conquistador_del_mar
12-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Man, I had my ass handed to me this week. Problems with the bank, had to fire an employee I really cared about, business off 30%, bus order delayed a month, and a bunch of other stuff.....

Then, when I considered this week possibly the worse I have had in a year, I got the call......When Don drove the Critter this summer, he noticed a "clunk" in the drive. I told the broker I wanted it looked at by an independent Merc mechanic of my choice. Regardless of what I purchased it for, a new drive is NOT in the budget, which it could have been. Ended up, when the engine and drive were replaced in 2004, they weren't perfectly aligned. Wore the u-joint out. Now, aligned, u-joint replaced and I can pick it up.

John,
You have much more patience than myself. Whenever I have bought something new, I want to go get it yesterday covering as much as 1300 miles in 24 hours. I'm glad you got the u joint fixed. What years did Donzi make the Criterion and how many were made? Did all of them have the closing hatch lid over the front seating area? Did you inspect it in person first or buy it sight unseen? I might have missed the answers to my questions somewhere on the board. Bill

Donziweasel
12-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Lets see, as near as I can tell from other members, and there is still some contoversy on this, around 26 were made in 3 configurations, Critter, Critter II, and Critter SS. The II and SS are very rare with only one accounted for. Mine is a regular Critter, no hatch.

I did not personally inspect it, but Don Tamm, who is a good friend, did. He even drove it. Talked in depth with him about it. My price was a steal, backed by Poodle and Buiz, for the boat in the condition it is in. The only real problem was the drive "clunk", which was taken care of.

It seems mine is the only one with a SB right now, although I could be wrong. Engine and drive were installed new (not reman) in 2004. Less than 20 hours on them. I had a independent Merc mech go through it when repairing the drive u joint and gave it a thumbs up, including a compression test on all cylinders.

Going to go the Uship route to SLC. Should have it here Thurs. Oiling horse tack today.

Donziweasel
12-06-2008, 12:52 PM
he was too busy laughing when I was spinning the tires trying to navigate out of Pearson's driveway

Why do I have a feeling he was laughing much more than you were.......:)

Donziweasel
12-06-2008, 04:14 PM
I also got a picture of Pearson driving a Ford..

That had to be the highlight......:)