PDA

View Full Version : Living in two worlds

Speed Racer
12-04-2008, 10:49 PM
So, one of the funniest things I am figuring out, as I restore the 67, is that I sorta live in two worlds.. This is from Sailing anarchy, a really great website that, if powerboaters had their **** together enough, would create, but Donzi.net is pretty solid!

Here is their take on a 200 mile per hour run by, what they call a skater..

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=82957

Great video, but I call bull**** on 200 miles per hour...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBmJ2cuFTcE&feature=related
The supercharger sound is great, and you can really see the steering wheel moves in the propwash,,

Come on experts...

( And yes, I race sailboats when there is wind here in the Pacific Northwest, and will take the little V-drive out to play when there is no wind... I know.. Crossing over a little too much, but... FAST IS RELATIVE, and Being on the water making a craft do it's best, is a rush!

shotgunlab
12-05-2008, 12:33 AM
that's the bacardi silver - definitely no bull****--it's well known and verified that it's a 200+ mph boat.
here's a video of matt lauer from the today show getting to drive her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXTgdAlL9zg

Conquistador_del_mar
12-05-2008, 01:13 AM
So, one of the funniest things I am figuring out, as I restore the 67, is that I sorta live in two worlds.. This is from Sailing anarchy, a really great website that, if powerboaters had their **** together enough, would create, but Donzi.net is pretty solid!

The supercharger sound is great, and you can really see the steering wheel moves in the propwash,,

Come on experts...

( And yes, I race sailboats when there is wind here in the Pacific Northwest, and will take the little V-drive out to play when there is no wind... I know.. Crossing over a little too much, but... FAST IS RELATIVE, and Being on the water making a craft do it's best, is a rush!

Garry,
It has always seemed like many sailboaters have more disdain for powerboaters than the other way around - maybe just my experience. I personally like all forms of boating from my 1967 Sawyer racing canoe on up. The peace of paddling the remote areas of Quetico in Canada to the thrill of running near 100MPH all has its time and place.
My next door neighbor's business is putting together a custom built Skater that plans to beat the world's record in its class - I believe they are shooting for 240+MPH with 2 3000HP engines through surface drives. I'll post it when they get it going.
How is your 1967 project going? Bill

onesubdrvr
12-05-2008, 05:16 AM
You know, that is cool as hell BUT, there is a reason why I love the 16 and 18 so much:

At about 6:15, Matt says (with regards to his 130mph or so speed), "It feels fast, but not that fast".

In the 16, 50 feels like 100! in an 18, like 80 (IMO),..... so $$ for $$, MUCH more "thrills" with the 16 :D :D :D

Wayne

glashole
12-05-2008, 06:36 AM
Garry,
It has always seemed like many sailboaters have more disdain for powerboaters than the other way around - Bill

I know that the snailbotes in my area really enjoy the early morning start-ups and blow bys mid afternoon when the wind dies down and they are motoring to shore

Last Real Texan
12-05-2008, 08:03 AM

Come on experts...

True run on the speed, That shot and run was taken on the savannah River a couple years back. It was a sanctioned Kilo run during the races. I regularly run 85 plus through there and if the 10 mph tide is running out you can pick up 10 MPH going down river....that day I had a 95 MPH boat ground speed by GPS, and that was before adding more boost. Then next time I go down and run it there on a spring tide running out I will break the 100 MPH barrier on GPS runnning with the current. I know it is cheating but what the hel!.....I do not claim these #'s for top speed in general only with the disclaimer of the tide. On the real world lake I am only running a best of 92 GPS.

By the way plenty of room to run on the riuver down there.

Tex

Ghost
12-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Garry,
It has always seemed like many sailboaters have more disdain for powerboaters than the other way around - maybe just my experience. I personally like all forms of boating from my 1967 Sawyer racing canoe on up.

Agreed on both fronts--I've done a little sailing, including crewing on a racing boat for a few years. Have always loved powerboating even more. I suspect some of the sailboat snobbery comes from the perception, right or wrong, that a higher percentage of powerboaters don't know what they are doing out on the water. We all know those guys exist. Funny though, a guy plowed his Hinckley Bermuda 40 into my Nova while I was tied up and refueling. He made at least 3 basic mistakes, one of which was failing to properly take the wind into account...

zelatore
12-05-2008, 10:18 AM
It has always seemed like many sailboaters have more disdain for powerboaters than the other way around

EXACTLY.

Living in an area with a very active sailing community (San Fran Bay) there's a race almost every weekend for the sailors. During the summer months, the local yacht club races almost every night right here in the estuary. They used to put one of there turn markers right in front of our marina, maybe (MAYBE) 100' off the dock, so I had a dozen or so boats all trying to round a mark within spitting distance of each other and my inventory. They were quite indignant when we asked them to move it a little way down. It's not like there was anything in the way to keep them from putting it somewhere else, they just didn't want to move it.

Funny how that doesn't seem 'dangerous' to sailors.

Funny how I've had sailors crash into our docks and boats at least 4 times in the last 5 years, but never a powerboat.

Funny how I've had sailors deliberately tack in front of a large power yacht when they could have held the same heading for another 1/8 mile. All the while staring up at me on the bridge almost daring me to hit them.

I can enjoy sailing under the right circumstances, although I certainly don't have any desire to rush out and buy a blow-boat. But sailors seem to have an institutional hatred of any form of powerboating.

Want to see something funny/painful? Go out with a sailor and watch what sort of evil things they do the 'iron jib' as they come and go from the dock. Full throttle shifts...cold start to WOT in seconds...0 maintenance…all sorts of fun. No wonder they think motors are evil things - you kick a dog all day and it'll bite you if it gets half a chance!
(yes, I've witnessed all this first-hand)

Ghost
12-05-2008, 10:25 AM
As long as there is some venting going on, the thing I think annoys me the most is (and I see this a fair amount), the guys who act as though they have the right of way when under power, just because they still have some sail up.

glashole
12-05-2008, 10:50 AM
The only ones who actually bother me would be the ones with deep pockets but short arms

zelatore
12-05-2008, 10:58 AM
As long as there is some venting going on, the thing I think annoys me the most is (and I see this a fair amount), the guys who act as though they have the right of way when under power, just because they still have some sail up.

...or even when they have no sail up.

The only ones who actually bother me would be the ones with deep pockets but short arms

Before I came to this dealership, they had gotten their start in sailboats. They eventually got out and moved exclusivly to powerboats. The owner was fond of saying sailors thought the wind was free and everything else should cost less.

Conquistador_del_mar
12-05-2008, 12:30 PM
EXACTLY.

Living in an area with a very active sailing community (San Fran Bay) there's a race almost every weekend for the sailors. During the summer months, the local yacht club races almost every night right here in the estuary. They used to put one of there turn markers right in front of our marina, maybe (MAYBE) 100' off the dock, so I had a dozen or so boats all trying to round a mark within spitting distance of each other and my inventory. They were quite indignant when we asked them to move it a little way down. It's not like there was anything in the way to keep them from putting it somewhere else, they just didn't want to move it.

Funny how that doesn't seem 'dangerous' to sailors.

Funny how I've had sailors crash into our docks and boats at least 4 times in the last 5 years, but never a powerboat.

Funny how I've had sailors deliberately tack in front of a large power yacht when they could have held the same heading for another 1/8 mile. All the while staring up at me on the bridge almost daring me to hit them.

I can enjoy sailing under the right circumstances, although I certainly don't have any desire to rush out and buy a blow-boat. But sailors seem to have an institutional hatred of any form of powerboating.

Want to see something funny/painful? Go out with a sailor and watch what sort of evil things they do the 'iron jib' as they come and go from the dock. Full throttle shifts...cold start to WOT in seconds...0 maintenance…all sorts of fun. No wonder they think motors are evil things - you kick a dog all day and it'll bite you if it gets half a chance!
(yes, I've witnessed all this first-hand)

I sometimes can't understand that mentality, but I have witnessed it. On our Lake Texoma, there is one place off the north islands that I like to fish. It is a little tricky though since a couple of the islands have erroded, leaving a very shallow area that extends out a few hundred yards. I have pulled a couple sailboats off that area having to pull them straight back to release their keels from the sand. One day while trolling that same area, a sailboat kept interfering with my line of travel which I almost read as intentional. This went on for about 25 minutes until he grounded himself. I have probably towed at least 50 boats over the years, but that day I kept going. Bad me that day - lol. If he had been in any danger, I would have pulled him off. Bill