PDA

View Full Version : X-18 stringer question

mattyboy
12-04-2008, 07:23 PM
ok for the X-18 guys Ted ,Lenny,Poodle and so on

I have a question on the stringers?

i know they were notched to fit the sbc and trs setup is this true on all boats including the sbc and volvo setup??

if they are notched and not wet is the fix and easy one or is it an indepth repair???

Marlin275
12-04-2008, 08:04 PM
I have a Volvo 270 and the Chris-Craft engine set-up
This is a 350Q turned around 180 degrees drawing power off the front of the engine.

My 1973 X-18 had glassed stringers that had saw cut notches
taken out and never sealed in any way.

The boat landed on her starboard side after brief air time and broke
the motor mount to stringer connections.
Unsealed stingers? Doesn't get much worse?
Now there's more glass in there than you would ever need!

The yard added double wood, glass and $900. custom motor mounts.

No problem now!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1159&d=1079375584

mrfixxall
12-04-2008, 08:14 PM
mine is a volvo 280 with a 350 chebby,the stringers are notched and no issues what so ever but can be easily fixxed, if i were to fix one its not hard or in debt to replace the whole stringer:wink:

onesubdrvr
12-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Matty,

My X-18 had the vette motor, with a 280 drive, stringers were notched (see photos)

Wayne

mattyboy
12-04-2008, 08:26 PM
thanks that is what i was looking for guys ;)

Lenny
12-04-2008, 09:04 PM
"If" it's not wet, it just needs to be sealed.. HUGE "IF" though...

Can't answer the Volvo question...

Mine, VOLVO boat, 350 Chebby, is also notched, port side only. Dry, and YES the top of the stringer in that area is only brushed with white gel coat, no glasswork to cover it. Alternator thingy... :)

Bottom left corner of pic Matty :)

mattyboy
12-05-2008, 07:57 AM
thanks again guys! :) the real question??

are the notches are covered by the motor mounts??

if so the motor must come out to seal the notches???

Lenny i thought that was a big glob of red permatex on the chrome water fitting on the top of the motor but actually i think it is your reflection taking the pic looks good

Marlin275
12-05-2008, 08:15 AM
if so the motor must come out to seal the notches???

My motor mounts were in the cut out notches.
A real repair required the motor pulled.
Seems each X18 is different and yet the same problem!

Kirbyvv
12-05-2008, 09:07 AM
mine too, 1978 X-18, volvo 280 and originally had the ChrisCraft SBC. Both stringers were notched and not sealed. They appeared dry and solid, so the first thing I did when i got it was pull the engine and glassed them in.

mattyboy
12-05-2008, 09:15 AM
sorry as I think about this another question came up

was it the shape of the rear deck that made them notch the stringers to get the motor to fit???

DonziChris
12-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Are all X-18 stringers notched, and what was reason.

mattyboy
12-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Chris

it appears to be the case that all were notched
the reason is not clear right now but i bet we'll get to the bottom of it

DonziChris
12-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks Matty, The X on ebay still has me interested, But open stringers has me thinking a standard boat may be the way to go.

Lenny
12-05-2008, 10:24 AM

There are no notches under my mounts Matty. The angle iron sits ON TOP of the stringer and then throughbolted.

Marlin275
12-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Are all X-18 stringers notched, and what was reason.

I have heard that the X18 was the upscale model and had bigger engines as standard.

The deck and stringer cuts were done to keep the engine low and avoid the hatch scoop solution.

My 350Q Chris - Craft style was done to keep the engine low.
Over the years there were other solutions.

Lenny
12-05-2008, 10:36 AM
sorry as I think about this another question came up

was it the shape of the rear deck that made them notch the stringers to get the motor to fit???

No, I wouldn't think so. The small block goes in and out of there just dandy. Watched that a few times now. :D

The Classis18 has an inner hatch opening that measures 44" wide at the wide end, 39 1/2" at the small end and is 30 1/2" fore and aft.

The X-18 has an inner hatch opening that measures 44" wide at the wide end, 39" at the small end and is 30 1/2" fore and aft.

Lenny
12-05-2008, 10:42 AM
The deck and stringer cuts were done to keep the engine low and avoid the hatch scoop solution.

and the TRS X boats had a whole new set of clearance problems and modifications. There is 5/8" of vertical clearance from my flame arrester (transom-most, highest end) and the underside of the hatch coring.

Conquistador_del_mar
12-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Matty,

My X-18 had the vette motor, with a 280 drive, stringers were notched (see photos)

Wayne

My 1971 18' 2+3 is also notched exactly like Wayne's. Under the motor mounts, there is a notch on each side to accomodate the height adjustment bolt and nut which drop down about 1" into the stringers. The second notch on the port stringer was there to accomodate the alternator (I believe). None of the notches in my boat were sealed from the factory, but the stringers remained solid throughout the years. During my restoration, I sealed them with resin. If any of you guys are still using the original engine mounts and need new vibration dampers (they are round pieces with metal over rubber) that were on the Chris Craft marinized engines, let me know since I found a source for them. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
12-05-2008, 11:06 AM
There are no notches under my mounts Matty. The angle iron sits ON TOP of the stringer and then throughbolted.

Lenny,
Looking at your picture, your engine mounts are exactly like the ones in my 1971. I would bet that there are notches under the mounts for the verticle bolt and nut used for height adjustment. Have you ever pulled the angle steel plates to see? Bill

BigGrizzly
12-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Matty, the notches all depend if you have over the stringer or through the stringer mounts. It has to do with engine height and drive height. The merctrans has no mounts itself the Borg mounts to the transom assembly. I hope this helps

Lenny
12-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Lenny,
Looking at your picture, your engine mounts are exactly like the ones in my 1971. I would bet that there are notches under the mounts for the verticle bolt and nut used for height adjustment. Have you ever pulled the angle steel plates to see? Bill

Nope, this pic was not that easy to take... :D

Conquistador_del_mar
12-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Nope, this pic was not that easy to take... :D

Lenny,
That bottom adjustment nut must be right up against the stringer. Are your vibration dampers still fine? I have exactly the same setup in my 1971 18'. A man fabricates those dampers for Chris Craft restorations since they are no longer available from a manufacturer. Bill

Kirbyvv
12-05-2008, 11:38 AM
So sombody has to ask....
Matty, is there an X in your future??????
I won't tell!!!!!

chappy
12-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Who bought Tux's old X? The asking price was very attractive if I remember correctly. That was for sale early last summer in the NY area.
Senator?.....:lookaroun:

mattyboy
12-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Chappy I missed that one by minutes .
Sam had done a nice job getting it back into shape and it was a very attractive price . when i got there a deal had already been made and agreed on in person by the new owner i had written his name some where and i told him about the lake george club not sure where i put that paper

i am not the type to try and break up a deal but i said if something fell thru or changed to please call

that was a sbc trs boat

mattyboy
12-05-2008, 04:07 PM
last question when we say glassed in or sealed are we talking resin and fiberglass mat or cut up glass, or resin and micro balloons or some other kind of filler or just a coating of resin brushed into the exposed wood

Marlin275
12-05-2008, 07:04 PM
last question when we say glassed in or sealed are we talking resin and fiberglass mat or cut up glass, or resin and micro balloons or some other kind of filler or just a coating of resin brushed into the exposed wood

When mine were redone
the Yard added more wood
fiberglass mat and resin.

They also added more mat and resin
on the side supports to beef up the area.

Something else will break before those stringers ever give!

Lenny
12-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Matty, once the stringers are layed up and happy, I would just cut that area, seal it with CSM (chopped strand mat) and gel over it with a brush. No worries.

gpapich
12-05-2008, 11:53 PM
1976 X-18 , SBC w/ TRS. Oval notches, no sealing.

Marlin275
12-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Matty

Here are some photographs of the stringer fix on my X-18.

BigGrizzly
12-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Marlin, nice job now put a sandwich plat on the inbord side and your set I have done this on my Criterion.

The X Man
12-08-2008, 07:32 PM
I used resin and a fine glass cloth on my X. Here are before and after shots. This one, a '78 Volvo boat, had a big cut out on the port side, but the wood stringer at both cut outs was in good shape.