PDA

View Full Version : Alot of high dollar cars on EBay...

txtaz
12-04-2008, 01:46 PM
There are about 1000 exotic cars on EBay these days and they are still asking big bucks for them. No deals to be had yet. Many are closing their auctions with no bids.

Da Taz<---Man I'm bored.

VetteLT193
12-04-2008, 02:36 PM
I like to do searches on closed auctions to see what sells.

Holy crap stuff is selling for cheap if you can find the no reserve stuff. found a 1998 Corvette Pace car with under 8k miles on it that sold for 23k.

Boats are the same way...

apollo24
12-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Yep, there are some deals. Ebay is a tough place to sell a boat or car that you aren't willing to give away, though. I have found that dealing with the bottom-feeders and timewasters you get just isn't worth it. I sold about 20 small (under 30') boats, 2 Harleys on ebay last year and it was a royal PITA, if you even had a legit buyer in the first place.

Things like guys showing up from Canada in a 4 cyl Ford Ranger to pick up a 10,000 lb 35' Fountain. Guys driving 2000 miles to get a harley hog with a pickup, thinking that the two of us can lift it into the back, in the rain. Guys coming from 2000 miles away without certified funds, thinking that you will let them leave with the boat and "their bank is gonna send us a check." Guys saying that they are going to be there Friday by 2:00 and then showing up Sunday at 12- your only day off, and you have to tell your wife that you can't spend time with her. The stories...

txtaz
12-04-2008, 05:37 PM
I hear ya Apollo. I only ebay small stuff and take paypal. It's simple, they pay and then I ship.

I was using ebay to search out some of the exotics to see if the prices have come down any. I was surprised to find out how many were available. Do a search on BMW and you get 2000 hits and some good prices.

I doubt I would ever buy a car or boat off ebay unless I knew the person or one of my friends did.

Da Taz

zelatore
12-04-2008, 06:04 PM
BMW's are exotic? Wow, I must be movin' up in the world!

As for buying cars/bikes/boats off ebay or other on-line sources, I've done all three with varying results.

I bought a couple cars from a distance. Both Alfas - one in Austin, the other in Brooklyn. I did fly out to drive them back, and both of them were a little worse than I expected upon arrival but not bad enough to back out of the deal. Note that both of these were in the $5K range, so not exactly big money.

I bought a couple bikes on Ebay and had them shipped in. First time I saw them in person was when they arrived. One came from an individual and was pretty much what I expected. Only about $3500, so not a lot of risk. The other came from a dealer for about $8000; it had a mis-matched rear tire that was pretty much shot that had not been described. Although I expected I'd eat it, I called the guy anyway and he agreed to send me a new tire. Pretty good deal.

Then I bought my Donzi from Jackson Marine sight un-seen although I did have a mechanical survey done and Dr. Dan & Undertaker both put eyes on it for me. Other than the boat arriving with bone-dry batteries, it was pretty much as expected, although I did have a bit of an issue with the delivery being delayed due to the trailer not being ready so the driver up-charged me for the delay. Jackson did split the cost of that delay with me; they had sourced the trailer through one of their vendors, so although it wasn't exactly their fault it was late, they did carry some blame.

So over all, I've had decent luck with on-line buying. I'd do it again under the right circumstances.

VetteLT193
12-05-2008, 11:17 AM
I sold my '93 'Vette on ebay and it was easy...

I sort of bought my Minx through eBay... The listing was too generic and I had a feeling the winner wouldn't come through so I made an offer right after the auction ended and he got back to me.

I'm sure it's half luck though. There are a whole lot of ding dongs out there.