PDA

View Full Version : Jet Ride

apollo24
12-04-2008, 11:19 AM
A buddy of mine called me yesterday and asked if I wanted to go for a spin in his restored L-29 jet. Hmmmm. Should I sit in this office and wait for someone to call about a boat or forward my calls to my cellphone and haul tail to the airport? I was outta here! 40 minutes later I was doing my first rolls and loops over the Bay. We also buzzed the tower at 250 kts, which was great. I got married 2 weeks ago, so I figured I'd get in what I could, while I could. One of those "better to ask for forgiveness than permission" situations!

The best thing (or maybe not) about it is that he's going to keep it at the airport next to my house.

McGary911
12-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Ben, that sounds super cool. Not many people get to do something like that. I was always happy enough to get a ride on a buddy's piper or cherokee single engine prop job.

bet that hobby's a touch more expensive than our Donzis, huh?

apollo24
12-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Ben, that sounds super cool. Not many people get to do something like that. I was always happy enough to get a ride on a buddy's piper or cherokee single engine prop job.

bet that hobby's a touch more expensive than our Donzis, huh?

Yeah, I don't mind 6-8 gph that much vs. 180-200 gph cruise. The interesting thing is that this aircraft will run on kerosene, jet-A, diesel and cooking oil if it had to. Those Russians had some interesting ways of doing things. Flying it several months ago was tough, but not so bad now...?

DonziJon
12-04-2008, 03:45 PM
A buddy of mine called me yesterday and asked if I wanted to go for a spin in his restored L-29 jet. Hmmmm. Should I sit in this office and wait for someone to call about a boat or forward my calls to my cellphone and haul tail to the airport? I was outta here! 40 minutes later I was doing my first rolls and loops over the Bay. We also buzzed the tower at 250 kts, which was great. I got married 2 weeks ago, so I figured I'd get in what I could, while I could. One of those "better to ask for forgiveness than permission" situations!

The best thing (or maybe not) about it is that he's going to keep it at the airport next to my house.

Did he explain how to use the Ejection Seat? :lookaroun: John

apollo24
12-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Did he explain how to use the Ejection Seat? :lookaroun: John

The ejection seats are not functional right now, and even if they were, we'd probably have serious back injury in the shape we are both in if we did punch out. We do have chutes, but the chances of releasing and bailing out of that bugger at 3000 ft yesterday before it hits the dirt at 250 kts is slimmmm, at least for us. I am 6'4, 240 and he is 6'5, 250- we were packed in that thing. At least they'd know where to find us if we rode it in. :bonk:

DonziJon
12-04-2008, 06:52 PM
The ejection seats are not functional right now, and even if they were, we'd probably have serious back injury in the shape we are both in if we did punch out. We do have chutes, but the chances of releasing and bailing out of that bugger at 3000 ft yesterday before it hits the dirt at 250 kts is slimmmm, at least for us. I am 6'4, 240 and he is 6'5, 250- we were packed in that thing. At least they'd know where to find us if we rode it in. :bonk:

I like your sense of humor. I'm a Private Pilot, and it's good to have a sense of humor when you fly "Experimental" aircraft. Did you happen to notice that "Placard" on the dash panel? Not usually a problem: Most restored OLD planes..P-51 Mustangs, etc..Homebuilts, etc are required to have that "Placard"..Warning. It's a subtle warning to uninformed passengers that this plane is not Certified..in the usual way a Cessna is certified.

There used to be a place in Burlington, VT called "Dean Martin of Warbirds" where you could buy planes like this. Is that where your friend got this plane? John

Barry Eller
12-04-2008, 07:10 PM
:cool:Hey Ben, congratulations on your marriage. Are you still in Gulf Shores?

The hop must have been fun! Did you get sick?:puke:

apollo24
12-05-2008, 10:09 AM
I like your sense of humor. I'm a Private Pilot, and it's good to have a sense of humor when you fly "Experimental" aircraft. Did you happen to notice that "Placard" on the dash panel? Not usually a problem: Most restored OLD planes..P-51 Mustangs, etc..Homebuilts, etc are required to have that "Placard"..Warning. It's a subtle warning to uninformed passengers that this plane is not Certified..in the usual way a Cessna is certified.

There used to be a place in Burlington, VT called "Dean Martin of Warbirds" where you could buy planes like this. Is that where your friend got this plane? John

Yeah, after the second roll I couldn't quit staring at the "Experimental" sticker. "Experimental" to me means that the plane is going to eventually bite it, it's just a matter of when. Kind of like a motorcycle. :wink:

We have a C172, and it has never felt so safe! At least it will glide. That jet falls like a rock. On final, it's amazing because it takes like 10 sec for the turbine to spool up, so you have to be truckin'.

apollo24
12-05-2008, 10:12 AM
:cool:Hey Ben, congratulations on your marriage. Are you still in Gulf Shores?

The hop must have been fun! Did you get sick?:puke:

Hey Barry- thanks on the marriage- we are very excited.

I didn't get sick, but honestly was just nervous about the airworthiness of the plane. Kind of like going to the state fair and riding one of the big roller coasters, and seeing the people who assemble them and run them. Kind of scary having so little control.

zimm17
12-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Very cool. I've been a Navy pilot for 11 years and still haven't got a ride in a jet. Lots of helicopters and single engine fixed turbo-prop trainer time (T-34C).

I feel safer in a T-34 than a Cessna- at least I had a parachute on. Sure a Cessna glides, but what about an engine failure at night? Over the mountains? IMC? Over water? Better to bail out in those situations.

Now I'm back in helicopters, so no parachutes. We're riding it in no matter how bad it gets. At least if the weather gets REALLY bad you always have the option of just landing in a big parking lot or field. Only thing that will really wreck your day is the main transmission locking up or the rotor blades falling off.

apollo24
12-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Only thing that will really wreck your day is the main transmission locking up or the rotor blades falling off.

Wreck your day is right! I just can't get comfortable flying in an aircraft where the wings move faster than the fuselage. :wink: Seriously, though- I think flying helos would be an absolute blast. What model do you fly? SH-60?

zimm17
12-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Wreck your day is right! I just can't get comfortable flying in an aircraft where the wings move faster than the fuselage. :wink: Seriously, though- I think flying helos would be an absolute blast. What model do you fly? SH-60?

SH-60B Seahawk

The SH-60B Light Airborne Multi-Purpose System (LAMPS Mk III) is deployed primarily aboard frigates, destroyers, and cruisers. The primary missions of the SH-60B are surface warfare and anti-submarine warfare.

The SH-60B carries a complex system of sensors including a towed Magnetic Anomaly Detector (MAD) and air-launched sonobuoys. Other sensors include the APS-124 search radar, ALQ-142 ESM system and optional nose-mounted forward looking infrared (FLIR) turret. It carries the Mk 46, Mk 50, or Mk 54 torpedo, AGM-114 Hellfire missile, and a single cabin-door-mounted M60D/M240 7.62 mm (0.308 in) machine gun or GAU-16 .50 in (12.7 mm) machine gun.
A standard crew for a SH-60B is one pilot, one ATO/Co-Pilot (Airborne Tactical Officer), and an enlisted aviation systems warfare operator (sensor operator). Operating squadrons are designated Helicopter Anti-submarine Light (HSL).

DonziJon
12-06-2008, 06:35 PM
SH-60B Seahawk
The SH-60B Light Airborne Multi-Purpose System (LAMPS Mk III) is deployed primarily aboard frigates, destroyers, and cruisers. The primary missions of the SH-60B are surface warfare and anti-submarine warfare.
The SH-60B carries a complex system of sensors including a towed Magnetic Anomaly Detector (MAD) and air-launched sonobuoys. Other sensors include the APS-124 search radar, ALQ-142 ESM system and optional nose-mounted forward looking infrared (FLIR) turret. It carries the Mk 46, Mk 50, or Mk 54 torpedo, AGM-114 Hellfire missile, and a single cabin-door-mounted M60D/M240 7.62 mm (0.308 in) machine gun or GAU-16 .50 in (12.7 mm) machine gun.
A standard crew for a SH-60B is one pilot, one ATO/Co-Pilot (Airborne Tactical Officer), and an enlisted aviation systems warfare operator (sensor operator). Operating squadrons are designated Helicopter Anti-submarine Light (HSL).

Hey ZIMM: Are you cleared to release this information to the public??? John

DonziJon
12-06-2008, 06:50 PM
I Googled "Dean Martin of Warbirds" tonight and could find nothing. My recollection was from 20 years ago. DAM: I'm getting Older Fast. I guess DM of Warbirds no longer exists but others have stepped up to fill the gap. Google "L-29" and find some interesting stuff. $1475/hour for "training" in your newly purchased L-29. "L" is usually reserved for "Liaison" which is Non Combat. This plane seems to be multi role. John

Air 22
12-06-2008, 09:07 PM

Thats common info on Military aircraft...ck out Janes...
http://www.janes.com/security/international_security/news/misc/mh60heli_nse.shtml

ya just gotta look...:wink:

zimm17
12-06-2008, 09:08 PM

I pulled that from wiki-pedia.... so yes it's unclass :wink:

edit: Besides, I think it's good for the public to know what we can do... helps keep the tax dollars flowing so we get to keep doing our thing. We're the only helicopter in the inventory that has a search radar, makes us very valuable. Plus with our recently added FLIR/hellfire missile systems, we don't just scare subs, but can take out ships and land targets too.

Air 22
12-06-2008, 09:22 PM
I pulled that from wiki-pedia.... so yes it's unclass :wink:

Zimm ...my wife's cousin fly's(beats the air) in the same bird ...I think he's with Helicopter Sea Combat Wing HSC-7 :wink:

zimm17
12-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Zimm ...my wife's cousin fly's(beats the air) in the same bird ...I think he's with Helicopter Sea Combat Wing HSC-7 :wink:

Close to the same bird- they fly the 60 "S" model with the new glass cockpit. Same airframe though- lacks all the mission stuff which makes it roomy and light (power to spare too). No radar, IFF interrogator, ESM, sonobuoys, etc although they are getting the FLIR/hellfire in the future.

The 60R (romeo) will be the same glass cockpit and all the mission goodies and is our replacement that is currently coming on line. I'll be retired before the 60B is fully replaced though.