:shocking::shocking::shocking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v36MCcRPRTc

:bonk:

superhatz
12-02-2008, 12:55 AM
Wow!....what's the story?

Carl C
12-02-2008, 06:54 AM
An engine miss such as a fouled spark plug can cause the fuel to burn in the catalytic converter. I've seen catcons glowing bright red from that. I would guess that is what is happening here.

Donziweasel
12-02-2008, 07:17 AM
Nope. Although this has been posted before, the reason for the flames were the very fist 6.4L. They came with a particle filter. Every once in a while, it has to be cleaned. The temp is brought up in the exhaust to burn out the filter. The first ones had overkill, that's all.

Lenny
12-02-2008, 08:46 AM
I used to have a "work truck" Ford E-350 van c/w boom with an extended rear bumper that was where the bucket would sit at idle. It was gas and was probably about an '81-'82. At idle it would pop and throw flames about 2' out the side of the twin rear exhaust all the time. It was a riot at stop lights and people would always point and freak out... :)

BUIZILLA
12-02-2008, 09:22 AM
spark plugs and catalytic convertors..

oh vey... :rolleyes:

roadtrip se
12-02-2008, 10:11 AM
One of my best friends is a Ford Master technician. He participated in the pilot classes where they rolled out the how-to-fix-the-things training.
This issue was reviewed at that time, it was extremely isolated, and was fixed very early on.

The latest report is that these trucks are NOT coming back, even with all of the oil field fleet abusers he works with in Houston. I hear the same thing in the warranty area at Ford Customer Service Division.

Something tells me somebody is really missing political season...

Donziweasel
12-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Mine is an 08' F-350 Superduty with the 6.4L. Got it in May of this year. Problem was fixed before mine was built. Only the first couple of hundred had the problem.

roadtrip se
12-02-2008, 10:15 AM
I used to have a "work truck" Ford E-350 van c/w boom with an extended rear bumper that was where the bucket would sit at idle. It was gas and was probably about an '81-'82. At idle it would pop and throw flames about 2' out the side of the twin rear exhaust all the time. It was a riot at stop lights and people would always point and freak out... :)

We restored an old Mach1 Mustang Super Sprint that did the same thing when you loaded it up at the stop light. It was good for a second or two during a launch against whomever might be next to us, due to the surprise factor.

I miss that old rattle trap. Sometimes it isn't how fast you are, but how good you are.

Air 22
12-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Sometimes it isn't how fast you are, but how good you are. :biggrin.::biggrin.::biggrin.:

Carl C
12-02-2008, 02:24 PM
spark plugs and catalytic convertors..

oh vey... :rolleyes: That would be oy vey. Mr. Rod's post didn't mention that this was the 6.4 diesel. I guess I'm just a shmeggegie.............

LKSD
12-03-2008, 09:01 AM
After I got done tweeking my old Porsche Turbo that I used to have and upgrading the exhaust it would throw about a 2-3' flame out the back at times when running it hard.. It was pretty neat at night. :shocking::convertib:

mjw930
12-04-2008, 12:44 PM
After I got done tweeking my old Porsche Turbo that I used to have and upgrading the exhaust it would throw about a 2-3' flame out the back at times when running it hard.. It was pretty neat at night. :shocking::convertib:

Yep, my '89 911 turbo did exactly that when I eliminated the factory exhaust / cat. I had a lot of fun with it, especially during club runs when someone was a bit too close to my rear :D

LKSD
12-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Yes, that made for some good times when people were tailgaiting @ high speed up hills.. Running fast & shift to next gear and BAM! pop & flames.. Ahh the good ol days.. My New Porsche doesnt throw any flames with the factory exhaust.. I am thinking of a doing a Fabiani (fabspeed) or B&B system this coming year depending on how things go.. It's too damn quiet right now. I would like it a bit throatier without sounding too obnoxious.. So we shall see.. :) J